• Taboos becoming the norm

Romeo Papa [sign in to see picture]

How long do you think it takes before something which is widely know about but seen as a taboo to become something considered normal. Anal is something which springs to mind, 10-15 years ago i would say it was a taboo subject (correct me if I'm wrong) but today it's widely accepted as a normal thing to do all though not all wish to do it. Pegging o the other hand is widely know about (maybe not by that name) but is a taboo subject. How long until that is common practice?

Red Lightning [sign in to see picture]

Any form of nudity used to be cosidered taboo. Now we have nudist beaches, etc. In time things change. You say that anal was taboo 10-15 years ago. Homosexuality wasn't just taboo but illegal. During the Roman times (I use the Romans because I know a lot about them) anal and gay sexual acts were fairly common and people used to be rather open about it. Then the culture changed and people stopped.

Jumping forward 2000 years to the present, people are a lot more open about their sex lives. We also have the internet which is now full of blogs and forums like this one where it is easy to get help and advice on many things sex related. This makes it easier to boost your confidence because it's likely that someone has tried it before and are willing to share their experience.

I reckon that in a few years, or maybe less, pegging will be as common as anal is now.

[suspended user]

suspended user

Lightning, homosexuality may no longer be illegal but anal (buggery) still is in the UK (but it's not in the US)

Hazy [sign in to see picture]

Lifebuoy wrote:

Lightning, homosexuality may no longer be illegal but anal (buggery) still is in the UK (but it's not in the US)

This is a myth as laws were changed in the early '60s and again updated in 2003 allowing anal sex between consenting adults amongst many other changes.

It is only natural that things that were previously taboo slowly become more socially acceptable. Likewise I am sure that there are things that people do these days that will slowly become taboo in years to come and not just sexually.

lilac_vix [sign in to see picture]

Everything is cyclical, being more or less taboo depending on cultures and faith and affluency etc. I just try to take things as they are an do what makes me happy.

James and Michelle (mr and mrs) [sign in to see picture]

This is a great question, I think now taboos are becoming the norm faster and faster as people are more confident to discuss their sexual preferences.

The number of people now that have experienced things previously considered taboo (group sex, swinging and so on) is increasing.

I know it’s not technically connected but I always though how long it takes for a country in trouble to become a tourist hot spot again, Vietnam and Cambodia had their troubles in 70/80 and now is a backpacker paradise. I wonder if people will be going to Somalia or Iraq in my life time

ZombieCpl [sign in to see picture]

mmm... depends on the taboo. Anal, BDSM etc are becoming increasingly common and I wouldnt see them as a taboo. When I think of taboo i imagine incest fetish, rape fetish and the more 'extreme' sort of play which is going to have a hard time being accepted by any society. Now group sex, dogging, swinging are all very widely accepted (even if sometimes illegal). Did anyone catch the dogging documentary on C4 last night? Its hat sort of thing that makes the taboo more mainstream.

Gyrator53 [sign in to see picture]

As a long time enthusiast for it I don't think pegging is really that taboo any more - not in the UK at least (some Americans still seem to have a problem getting over their macho BS with this one)

Janny [sign in to see picture]

Depends on what you mean. 'Anal sex taboo 10-15 years ago'. What, In 2001?? Suppose it depends on what age you were then.

UK has always been a bit backwards about these things, but to be honest, in most of mainland Europe, and indeed the western world, sexual liberation began in the late sixties.... So, welcome

Romeo Papa [sign in to see picture]

I was still at school in 2001 so maybe it's just an age thing but I still commonly hear people talking about anal as a taboo. Jenny if you think anal wasn't a taboo in 2001 when would you say it was widely accepted?

I would say pegging is a very common act but still seen as taboo due to its suggestion of meaning your gay and the male being the submissive party. I think swinging etc will never be a main stream act that most people participate in but is most certainly socially accepted.

I think there is a bit of a gap between what we Brits talk openly about and what we do. I know that anal was far from unusual back in the late 60 and early 70s but it was not something people talked about outside one-to-one conversations between very good friends.

I'm not sure that this constitutes a taboo. I would suggest that a taboo is something people would be shocked at you doing. I don't think people in the UK in the 60s would have been shocked at you doing anal but they might have been shocked at you talking about it.

As for the question of whether pegging is a taboo, I really don't think it is in the UK and I don't think we are really much taken in by the specious logic about it being gay. This really only seems to crop up on US dominated websites amongst those who's idea of advanced foreplay is to put their hand-gun on the bedside table.

MissSecretAgent [sign in to see picture]

I think everyone sort of has their own view of what's taboo or not - something one person feels is very taboo can be completely natural and 'normal' for someone else. I've never considered neither anal nor pegging or BDSM a taboo but I've learned that for some people (young people, mind you) it still very much is. That can be a question of age, though, since I believe your perspective might change with experience and learning.

mrs average [sign in to see picture]

The trouble with taboos becoming the norm is that if something is viewed as normal just because lots of people do it, it will put more people under pressure to do something that they don't actually feel comfortable doing. It's like playground peer pressure "have a cigarette, everyone does it" (for example).

Wild172 [sign in to see picture]

I agree with Romeo Papa. Perhaps being only late 20's my experience is lacking but I do feel that the subject of anal has only been acceptable in the last 10 years. For my generation I think most people will say: "Well we tried it" where as I feel the newest generation of sexually active people will do it without a thought. Pegging for me (male) is something that I do not wish to try and I'm fairly sure that in my group of friends it would be a taboo thing to chat about - my group of friends are friends whom I feel are quite open. Things like swinging and dogging I think are less taboo than they once were due to media coverage. Not to say everyone will do either of them (e.g. we will do neither) however I think most people know what they are. If our friends said they went dogging I would be intrigued and not disgusted but I'm not sure that view would be shared by Joe Public. Pegging I didn't have a clue what it was until I joined these forums. Some men even start threads asking about the idea of pegging without realising its moniker... I think the thing which will be less taboo in a few years compared to what it is now would be things like strokers etc. Men owning sex toys are still cast as perverts/wierdos when they really shouldn't be

mrs average wrote:

The trouble with taboos becoming the norm is that if something is viewed as normal just because lots of people do it, it will put more people under pressure to do something that they don't actually feel comfortable doing. It's like playground peer pressure "have a cigarette, everyone does it" (for example).

However, I think it would be a very bad idea to retain taboos just for this reason. It is the role of parents and teachers to give young people the strength of personality to be themselves and not be drawn into things they are uncomfortable with and to instil in them a respect for other's wishes.

Retaining society in a strait-jacket of taboos is a poor substitute that won't solve the problem anyway.

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.