• Oh Durex...

minutehand [sign in to see picture]

Has anyone noticed the business phenomena of hiding a price rise by subtely reducing the amount of product in a box resurfacing lately?

I don't know how it is back home as I've been studying for three years in China, where Durex still has a sizeable chunk of the market. I've been suspecting this for a few months here in China, but all was revealed last time I went to pick up my usual box of Fetherlite.

I thought something was off, but didn't think much of it until the signs - prices subtely rising, shelf space usually taken by old favourites being refilled with new gimmicky "premium" Durex condoms, boxes getting more shiny...my box of Fetherlite felt its usual self; that wide, smooth rectangular box with oh, right - oh, that's how we're playing it now. You're the same size, same colour, same price - heck, even a little higher, and you didn't think I'd notice you only contain 8 condoms now. And it's not just you, it's all of you - my eyes dart back and forth looking for a number 12 but to no avail.

I'm hurt, Durex. In my heart. I'd always believed a relationship was based on mutual trust and honesty. If you were under so much pressure, all you had to do was be honest and tell me, but you kept quiet, kept everything else about you the same, and hoped I wouldn't notice the different number on your front. Soft drinks do that, and not even on that scale. Are you a soft drink, Durex? Anyone can live with losing 30ml of Pepsi, but you short yourself by enough condoms for an entire week of bliss. Your competition did that, Durex; you don't have to stoop to their level and you know your market share is higher. Or was it you who started it? I couldn't tell.

And yet you're smart, Durex. We both know how it'll end up - bitter, I'll keep my distance and try on the next pretty one that catches my eye. And then another one, and the next. But I'll find that something's missing - a old feeling, a closeness, a texture or a subtle thickness; something that only you can provide. And before we know it, we'll be back together again, pricing and contents be damned. You know you're the only brand I really rely on in China, Durex, and you win this round.

This has been going on for a few months now in China - Durex and its competition have reduced all the standard boxes to 8 condoms whilst keeping the same box size and actually raising prices. Raising prices is inevitable sometimes, but who else dislikes it when companies try their best to dull it through manipulation? I prefer outright honesty.

Is this happening in the UK at all?

KebertXela [sign in to see picture]

its still a 12 pack on LH, but wouldnt it make sense to spend a little more to order 100....

fistinglover69 [sign in to see picture]

Crisps do this :(.... I love crisps :(

Janny [sign in to see picture]

well this is buisiness, whatever you are buying, is it not? Some great condoms available here!

Ms HKM [sign in to see picture]

It's funny you should mention this - some supermarkets are doing this with their frozen veg/meat etc. :(

TTurtle [sign in to see picture]

Still available online at Tesco as a 12 pack..however if it is going this way and the price is still a tenner thats digusting to be frank, over a quid a shag!

jaycloth [sign in to see picture]

Given the state of enforcement of intellectual property rights in China, can you even be certain that they were real Durex condoms, not fakes in a smaller box? A double cheat?

Aqualaria [sign in to see picture]

Don't know why anyone buys comdoms when your local hospital GU clinic (or whatever they are called these days) gives them away for nothing. Ours has even started giving lube out as well.

jimm88 [sign in to see picture]

Its a mater of quantity. We have a lot of sex. 3 or 4 times a day some really lazy bed days. They just wont allow you that sort of quantity :(

Lovehoney - Alice [sign in to see picture]

minutehand wrote:

Has anyone noticed the business phenomena of hiding a price rise by subtely reducing the amount of product in a box resurfacing lately?

I don't know how it is back home as I've been studying for three years in China, where Durex still has a sizeable chunk of the market. I've been suspecting this for a few months here in China, but all was revealed last time I went to pick up my usual box of Fetherlite.

I thought something was off, but didn't think much of it until the signs - prices subtely rising, shelf space usually taken by old favourites being refilled with new gimmicky "premium" Durex condoms, boxes getting more shiny...my box of Fetherlite felt its usual self; that wide, smooth rectangular box with oh, right - oh, that's how we're playing it now. You're the same size, same colour, same price - heck, even a little higher, and you didn't think I'd notice you only contain 8 condoms now. And it's not just you, it's all of you - my eyes dart back and forth looking for a number 12 but to no avail.

I'm hurt, Durex. In my heart. I'd always believed a relationship was based on mutual trust and honesty. If you were under so much pressure, all you had to do was be honest and tell me, but you kept quiet, kept everything else about you the same, and hoped I wouldn't notice the different number on your front. Soft drinks do that, and not even on that scale. Are you a soft drink, Durex? Anyone can live with losing 30ml of Pepsi, but you short yourself by enough condoms for an entire week of bliss. Your competition did that, Durex; you don't have to stoop to their level and you know your market share is higher. Or was it you who started it? I couldn't tell.

And yet you're smart, Durex. We both know how it'll end up - bitter, I'll keep my distance and try on the next pretty one that catches my eye. And then another one, and the next. But I'll find that something's missing - a old feeling, a closeness, a texture or a subtle thickness; something that only you can provide. And before we know it, we'll be back together again, pricing and contents be damned. You know you're the only brand I really rely on in China, Durex, and you win this round.

This has been going on for a few months now in China - Durex and its competition have reduced all the standard boxes to 8 condoms whilst keeping the same box size and actually raising prices. Raising prices is inevitable sometimes, but who else dislikes it when companies try their best to dull it through manipulation? I prefer outright honesty.

Is this happening in the UK at all?

What a brilliant writer you are! Really enjoyed the way you recounted this tale.

[suspended user]

suspended user

I worked in China, and with its rapidly expanding economy they have quite high inflation, maybe a way of stabilizing prices or containing price rises. I had a reat time there hope you do too.

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.