• Is donating sperm wrong?

jonny bboy [sign in to see picture]

I think sperm donation is really good, it help people that can't have kids for other medical reasons.

Miss-C [sign in to see picture]

I dont see anything wrong with it really, if it was you that couldnt concieve it would be a god send to be able to still have a family. As long as your fully informed of the legal side of things and you understand it go ahead why not! Surely it counts as your good deed for the day?!? lol

jaycloth [sign in to see picture]

sweetlove666 wrote:

gunther wrote:

in the old days...i first read about sperm donation when i was about 11 in 1971 the idea was that a couple who couldnt conceive naturally could be helped by an annonymous donor, the couple have a baby and get on with their lives raising their offspring. Now everyone talks freely about everything which has produced zero improvement. The child of donated sperm somehow doesnt ever become the child of the man who raised him/her from birth because of "rights issues". I think we are moving forward on rights and backwards on everything of value.

you have seriously misquoted the law several times in this thread and do not seem to listen to anyone who has given you information to the contrary in favour of being one of the "anti pc brigade"

but i'll say it again

the donor has NO rights AT ALL to the child

the "father" is the man married to or living as a couple with the woman who used donor sperm. that person has all the legal rights a parent does, it IS his child and is alway seen as HIS CHILD in the eyes of the law, and most likley society.

there is no "rights issues" regarding someone who has donated- it's like saying i have rights to govern the lives of people i've donated blood to cause they have some of my biologial products in them

I don't want to be contrary, but I'm afraid that you have yourself stated several inaccuracies in this thread.

The law change was contained in the HFEA (Disclosure of Donor Information) Regulations 2004 and all children born from sperm donated after April 2005 can discover their genetic father's identity.

This has had predictible results and sperm donations have plummeted. This has been the subject of empirical and respected academic study - notably by Dr Ilke Turkmendag of Newcastle University, who published a paper in 2008 entitled "The Removal of Donor Anonymity in the UK".

Moreover, family law tends to act to displace parental rights from fathers, but not parental responsibilities. Most unmarried fathers do not actually have parental responsibility (but are unaware of it), but would be liable for child support under the Children Act.

Further, the way the HFE Acts work is that a man donating sperm is not the legal father - if the sperm is used at a licensed clinic in accordance with his wishes. Clearly this means that if a donation is made DIY (ie not at a clinic), the donor will be liable for support (but will not have parental responsibility nor any automatic rights to contact etc). Believe it or not, it also means that if the clinic make a mistake or abuse their remit, the donor will be the legal father of children. For example, if a man donates sperm to be used to impregnate his wife, and the clinic for whatever reason use it to impregnate 50 random women - the donor is the legal father. If a man makes a donation just out of altruism, and the clinic misuse the sperm and act outside the remit of the HFE Act 1990, that donor will be the legal father of any children.

jaycloth [sign in to see picture]

Finally, the direction of the law with regard to the European Convention on Human Rights certainly does seem to be that children have an ever stronger position to an enforceable Article 8 claim to know the identity of their parents. At the moment, it would appear that mothers who have given up their children for adoption are protected with anonymity, but male sperm donors would not be.

occhiverdi [sign in to see picture]

I'm with Jaycloth.

The child can get all the information on the egg/sperm doner.

As someone who has fertility issues I think sperm donation is a great idea but in reality I wouldn't want my OH's kiddies roaming the world.

Laveila [sign in to see picture]

I just remembered this threat.

This is going to be likely passed in my home country too. It looks like that upon reaching 18, the childern would have the rights to get the name of the donor, by simply coming to the local office and they would get the name and address and would be really able to come to your door, without prior notice and tell you you are their parent. I do find this ridiculous. This would be for both sperm and egg donors - so even a woman would face the risks.

I would never consider donating under these rules.

[suspended user]

suspended user

Laveila wrote:

I completely agree, eggs or sperm are a free gift to bring happiness not to take on moral emotional or even legal responsibility over something you cannot control.

oohyea2012 [sign in to see picture]

AliMc wrote:

I don't think it's wrong to donate sperm but I wouldn't want my boyfriend to do it. I want to be the only mother of his babies lol

deffo agree with this lol

[suspended user]

suspended user

oohyea2012 wrote:

AliMc wrote:

I don't think it's wrong to donate sperm but I wouldn't want my boyfriend to do it. I want to be the only mother of his babies lol

deffo agree with this lol

i think it is something students not in a serious relationship used to do, its not like being unfaithful or is it?

Miss K [sign in to see picture]

Hi think its great idea. Gives people who otherwise would be childless a change.

[suspended user]

suspended user

no its not wrong at all

ShaftMaster [sign in to see picture]

Laveila wrote:

I just remembered this threat.

This is going to be likely passed in my home country too. It looks like that upon reaching 18, the childern would have the rights to get the name of the donor, by simply coming to the local office and they would get the name and address and would be really able to come to your door, without prior notice and tell you you are their parent. I do find this ridiculous. This would be for both sperm and egg donors - so even a woman would face the risks.

I think it's unfair that they could just knock on your door without prior warning, surely it would be arranged through the donation agency?

killerbunny [sign in to see picture]

No, I don't think it's wrong. I'd like to donate sperm, but I think my gf wouldn't agree with that idea.

[suspended user]

suspended user

jaycloth wrote:

I don't want to be contrary, but I'm afraid that you have yourself stated several inaccuracies in this thread.

The accuracy is that because of changes to the law to protect the child, the child probably will never exist to have any rights....welcome to the modern world

Jimi Duro [sign in to see picture]

Its one of the things I really disagree with in Life...

Sperm is not something that should be donated, its not money for christ sake, Its part of a man and not something to be given away liberally.

I dont understand what the man gets from this (apart from a lifetime of mystery?)

And what does a woman gain ? a kid that has no father figure and who is perfectly anonymous

Some would disagree but it just seems so unnatural...

Jimi Duro [sign in to see picture]

I think men that do it are ass holes

Laveila [sign in to see picture]

I personally dont have problems with sperm donation, but think it can be great thing. Imagine situation when the man cannot have kids for whatever reason, but would like them, but the woman can and want them. Sperm donation or adoption are their options. Lot of people would prefer sperm donation, as at least one parent is the real parent of the child.

I personally am not sure about single women looking for getting pregnant this way. Mainly because I think child should ideally have both parents. Its different if the child was conceive naturally and the father left. But would never really do it.

ShaftMaster [sign in to see picture]

Jimi Duro wrote:

Sperm is not something that should be donated, its not money for christ sake, Its part of a man and not something to be given away liberally.

I agree that it shouldn't be donated liberally, and should be carefully considered, but that does not mean it should not be donated.

As I've said before, I think that every child should have the right to know who their genetic family/legacy is, but any meetings should be done properly, through donation agencys, as I believe organ donors/recipients are done.

More than this however, I still think a better answer would be to sort out the adoption and foster services. There are lots of chidren already alive that need homes and families.

Cat Lady [sign in to see picture]

Don't have a problem with it for either people who have trouble conceiving or for single women.

[suspended user]

suspended user

Cat Lady wrote:

Don't have a problem with it for either people who have trouble conceiving or for single women.

Most single women can find a donor in a night club lol

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.