• Embarrassing dates

Cuddly Hubby [sign in to see picture]

My dating experiences were all a couple of decades ago, so now seems like a safe time to confide my most embarrassing moments. Maybe I can reassure people that their own dating disasters weren't as bad as they thought!

I was on a second date with a girl whom I had met via a dating agency. We seemed to get on well the first time around, and she had agreed to let me drive her to a restaurant for a posh meal, which we both enjoyed. On the way back to my car, she held my hand gently, and I felt pleased with myself -- maybe a third date would be on the cards.

As we reached my date's front door, she asked me if I'd like to come in for a coffee, and I said yes (we hadn't had one at the restaurant, after all). I was soon puzzled to find myself alone in her kitchen for much longer than I expected, wondering if I should look for the kettle and fill it up myself.

The penny only dropped when the young lady re-appeared looking... umm... very fetchingly different. I just panicked. I was still a virgin and, whilst I regularly dreamed of this sort of scenario, I simply hadn't expected it to occur in reality. I'm ashamed to say that I didn't try to explain: I just made some feeble excuse about needing to get back home, thanked my date for a great evening and dashed out.

It's still a major source of regret for me: not that I missed out on sex (which would probably have been awful under the circumstances), but rather that the poor girl must have been wondering what she had done to put me off. Unfortunately, we never got back in touch afterwards. If I could go back in time, I'd simply like to be able to leave her a note to tell her that she looked fabulous and that it was all just too much for me at the time.

Dee_licious333 [sign in to see picture]

Cuddly Hubby wrote:

If I could go back in time, I'd simply like to be able to leave her a note to tell her that she looked fabulous and that it was all just too much for me at the time.

You mean you wouldnt get dirty with her? So one chance to correct things and you would turn sex down a second time? But at least she would know it wasnt anything she had done. Sounds like she wasnt the right girl for you at that time.

Well i have also have several dates - my husband was one of the guys i met on an online dating agency.

Prior to meeting him, I had a date with a guy who seemed ok .. probably not my type but thought i would give it a go.

When we met, he had driven to the end of my road and i got in his car. His car was dirty, inside and out and he had decided to wear an old tshirt and trackies.. yes.. trackies .. on a Friday night!! The car had litter and rubbish inside and I did wonder why i was even bothering. His face has an outbreak of spots/eczema on it and looked sore (unlike his suntanned profile face pic) and he smoked .. though telling me he didnt! So we had one or two drinks and i didnt say much on the night, i got a taxi home and was glad it was over. He did pester me by texting trying to ring etc but he finally got the message!!

BashfulBabe [sign in to see picture]

Not mine, but needs sharing as a "it could have been worse" thing: http://soundcloud.com/vaughan-1-1/this-is-what-crazy-looks-like

Dee_licious333 wrote:

You mean you wouldnt get dirty with her? So one chance to correct things and you would turn sex down a second time? But at least she would know it wasnt anything she had done. Sounds like she wasnt the right girl for you at that time.

If I had been offered the time machine within a few years of the event then, given the state of my libido at that time, I'd have seized a big box of condoms and headed back there without any hesitation. Now, though, I honestly don't think I would (putting aside the fact that I'm now faithfully married!) as I understand much better what was right for me.

As a shy and sensitive virgin, I would have been devastated if my first time turned out to be a disastrous one-night stand. It's possible that my date would have been understanding and patient, but I had no idea at that stage whether that was the case. In any case, I imagine that I would have become very anxious about it, and perhaps also desperate and clingy, which would have been unfair on her.

I'm sure that most people would take the view "What the heck? Just get in there!". I wish that I could have been that relaxed about it. I didn't have any moral objections to sex at that stage and, indeed, I dreamed of getting the chance. However, I recognise now that it needed to be right for me -- and this occasion probably wasn't.

LilMissFrustrated [sign in to see picture]

Now this is a friend of a friend of a friend!!!

The lady in question used an online dating agency. One of the questions asked what age she wanted the man to be and she put a much younger age thinking she had a youthful outlook on life and didnt want an old fuddy duddy. Her friends told her she was making a big mistake but she didnt change the details.

Night of the date arrived. She thought it was a little strange that they were going to meet in a pub car park but agreed to it. Both parties arrived in their respective cars and got out to speak and meet each other face to face for the first time. He naturally was much younger.

Introductions were made and he suggested they moved on to another place for something to eat.

They both got back into their own cars, but he drove like a formula 1 driver out of the carpark and down the high street so much so that within seconds she had lost sight of him. He obviously took one look and high tailed it off into the sunset!

Now that would have been bad enough, oh the humiliation, but she told everyone and made an official complaint to the dating agency about his behaviour and how she though he should be removed. No oh no oh no. On friends advice she now meets with men her own age !!

LilMissFrustrated wrote:

The lady in question used an online dating agency.

That always has the potential to go wrong! (Although I know people who have used on-line dating successfully, so I'm not knocking it)

On-line didn't exist when I was dating, but I used several agencies over a few years and met a large number of women. Perhaps surprisingly, I didn't have many bad experiences. The recurring pattern for me was to go on one date (typically a quick drink) and to get on well enough to earn a second one (typically a meal) but at the end of that, we'd agree that there wasn't enough "spark" between us.

I found the whole dating process very awkward. Generally, I get on well with women, and I had then (and still do now) some very good female friends. Dates, though, were an ordeal for me. I placed more emphasis on being nice and not making any embarrassing mistakes than showing any personality. Even so, I made plenty of goofs and, at times, I must have come across as a complete idiot.

I didn't meet my wife that way. Indeed, our first date didn't happen until we had known each other as friends for quite a while. By that time, we tended to find any mistakes between us hilarious rather than embarrassing.

Horny Glass Lover [sign in to see picture]

I had a date that was so nervous, he got very drunk while we were enjoying our night out... that he puked straight across the table! I had to stick him in a cab bless him lmao. never heard from him again lol.

cheer_up [sign in to see picture]

This probably won't sound too bad to most people, but I had a date once with a guy who saw me once at a club night and decided that rather than actually speak to me, he'd get my number through our mutual friend and start our whirlwind romance by randomly texting me. "Hi, hw r u?" "I'm okay thanks... Who is this?" "-Insert name here-" ".... Who?"

I agreed to meet up, because I was 16 and awkward, and spent two hours writhing in embarrassment across a coffee table from this guy who answered all my questions with closed answers, didn't ask any of his own, and just grinned inanely across the table at me the rest of the time. I wanted to punch him in his vacuous, smiling little moonface.

It sounds tame, but it was honestly horrendous. I figured two hours was enough time to spend with a guy who I didn't find attractive without being impolite, so I made my excuses, and he text me shorty afterwards saying "That was really fun, we should do it again some time!"

I spent the following hour being consoled by a very good friend, who insisted that not all men are crazy and that there was someone out there for me. A year later, that good friend became my boyfriend, but I have yet to see any evidence of sanity in him.

Honeytongue [sign in to see picture]

Hmm... my worst date. I was 15 amd got talked into going on a date with a guy who I wasn't really interested in. We had mutual friends and I bowed to peer pressure. The day of the date came, he was very excited and told me he had arranged a lovely surprise. We went and caught a bus, then changed to a second bus. I sat on this seemingly ever lasting bus journey making polite conversation. Eventually we got to the end of the bus route. When I stood up to get off the bus, he said "No need. It's only a short break until the bus turns round." With total, unimaginable horror I realised that his date idea was to travel his favourite bus route! Safe to say, there was no second date.

cheer_up [sign in to see picture]

Honeytongue wrote:

Hmm... my worst date. I was 15 amd got talked into going on a date with a guy who I wasn't really interested in. We had mutual friends and I bowed to peer pressure. The day of the date came, he was very excited and told me he had arranged a lovely surprise. We went and caught a bus, then changed to a second bus. I sat on this seemingly ever lasting bus journey making polite conversation. Eventually we got to the end of the bus route. When I stood up to get off the bus, he said "No need. It's only a short break until the bus turns round." With total, unimaginable horror I realised that his date idea was to travel his favourite bus route! Safe to say, there was no second date.

Oh my God. You win. I'm sorry, but this is absolutely hilarious.

Honeytongue [sign in to see picture]

cheer_up wrote:

Honeytongue wrote:

Oh my God. You win. I'm sorry, but this is absolutely hilarious.

Strangely enough I asked for detailed plans for dates after that - lol.

Pixie_Murree [sign in to see picture]

Honeytongue wrote:

That is so Brilliantly bad, I can't imagine what you would say to someone who honestly thought a bus journey would be a good date!

lilac_vix [sign in to see picture]

I arranged to meet my date, he had come in his car. I was fashionilbly late as usual. It turned out whilst waiting for me he was propositioned by a prostitute, then witnessed an armed robbery. He took me somewhere really posh and I didn't know what kind of wine to get so I asked of they had blossom hill (the house wne at my local, under normal circumstances I always ask for the cheapest, plus I'm usually driving and just have cola) and the bar man said "we only sell that by the bottle ma'm" argh what a numpty. I refuse to go out with rich men who want to show of their money now. I'm a real 'classy bird' who likes vodka and slumming it in the pub haha.

SexyBumBully [sign in to see picture]

After a rather successful 1st date, I agreed to go on a second with a guy who had tried really hard to impress me whilst trying to sell me a mobile phone. It was rather cute! Anyway, our second date, we went to a lovely thai restaurant that was rather expensive. Whilst eating our meal I noticed that he kept looking over me. I asked what he was looking at and was shocked when the reply was "That waitress over there is really fit, god I'd love to meet her!"

I was really offended since I'd made such an effort. I told him I didn't want to see him after that and luckily I met my OH a month later and we've been together almost 3 years now.

Miss teach&nurse [sign in to see picture]

Ok so I haven’t had any really hugely embarrassing dates but more embarrassing date moments.

My first date with my fiancé didn’t quite go as smoothly as I had hoped. After him coming to my work to ask me out (I wasn’t working) he decided to sod it and just text me to ask me out. I of course had forgotten his name he told me, to which, I replied, huh who? He proceeded to tell me who he was and how I knew him (yes im scarily forgetful) I soon realised who he was and quickly apologised, telling him I wasn’t feeling very well (yep, I made an excuse). This was all before I had even got in the car with him!

So I went out that evening with him, the date was amazing, he was attentive and funny and most importantly we were so comfortable in each others company. The movie finished and he asked if I needed to get home. Not wanting the date to end but knowing how far he had to travel, I said yes. So as we reached the town I lived, I came up with the brilliant idea that we could go for a stroll around the local loch, it was beautifully lit up and it was a full moon (also thought it would be nice to get the first kiss in). As I directed him to the loch, he turned and asked why I was taking him to a dogging site and was I really that kinky.

Lets just say I was embarrassed, didn’t know where to look or what to do, so decided it was prob time to call it a night!!!

He lets me relive these moments every so often (git) but it was all part of the fun J

Other funny date moments

Went on a date with a guy called Robert. As I was sipping on my drink he decided to pull out his driving license and reveal his full name to me – Yep I was dating Robert De Niro! I burst into fits of laughter and spat my drink all over him. We didn’t have another date nor did we txt again after that.

A guy I had been crushing on for a while (he was also crushing on me but had done nothing about it yet) was having his xmas party in the restaurant I worked at. As I was the sever of their table I got go take the drinks order. Drinks order taken, got all the drinks sorted, was starting to set them down (about 10 on 1 tray) I unbalanced the tray. Yeah beer, wkd and wine went flying. I spilt the drinks all over the table, all over him and his work colleagues. I just stood looking at him, bright red and apologizing. I did however get a date with him soon after…… I think he thought I was cute lol

I think I'm a dating nightmare :)

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.