• Why did you choose your username?

CurlyCoupleWife [sign in to see picture]

Muz333 wrote:

You have no idea how frustrating it is for an intending doctor in genetics to have family that deny evolution, carbon dating and many other scientific discoveries that don't bode well with creationist views. Still, I suppose their entitled to their views. :/

I have a very logical/scientific mindset & can't get my head round horoscopes, creationism (explain the dinosaurs for goodness sakes) and a lot of other popular belief-sets.

However despite the fact I can't grasp these things I practice reiki (a form of spiritual healing) and I can't get my head round how or why it works but cannot deny that it does & it causes me a fair amount of internal conflict.

Oh! the urge to mock myself for being hocus-pocus!

CurlyCpl [sign in to see picture]

That's ok...I'm happy to mock you for your hocus-pocus, so you don't have to worry about mocking yourself

Muz333 [sign in to see picture]

I believe your under estimating the power of your own mind. If you tell yourself doing X activity will make you feel better then you will in fact feel better. It's basically a form of placebo affect as your bodies ability to heal itself is linked to your mood.

I remember watching a documentary about a hospitals use of the placebo effect to improve outpatients recovery times...Was very interesting. As you say the power of your own mind over your body is remarkable.

WandA [sign in to see picture]

Listen to your husband CCW!

At least it appears the LH foums are a magnet for amazing logical people who don't do agree with any 'woo'.

Muz333 wrote:

You have no idea how frustrating it is for an intending doctor in genetics to have family that deny evolution, carbon dating and many other scientific discoveries that don't bode well with creationist views. Still, I suppose their entitled to their views. :/

Be positive and revel in your superior intellect at Christmas and family events such as weddings and birthdays!

If you would like I'll adopt you Muz! You seem a lovely lad!

Alicia D'amore [sign in to see picture]

CurlyCoupleWife wrote:

Muz333 wrote:

I have a very logical/scientific mindset & can't get my head round horoscopes, creationism (explain the dinosaurs for goodness sakes) and a lot of other popular belief-sets.

But don't you know, dinosaurs were on the planet at the same time as humans? It all makes *perfect* logical sense!

I have very strong opinions on "woo" and religion so I try not to say too much online - it'd be very easy to offend someone..

Still, Muz, I feel for you! Possibly the worst thing to be studying if your parents are creationists -I hope it doesn't detract from your interests at all!

Ax

CurlyCpl wrote:

I remember watching a documentary about a hospitals use of the placebo effect to improve outpatients recovery times...Was very interesting. As you say the power of your own mind over your body is remarkable.

As a philosopher... was it ethical?

AdnaW wrote:

I have very strong opinions on "woo" and religion so I try not to say too much online - it'd be very easy to offend someone..

Ax

To some extent... If someone doesn't bother to use their nous (both Greek and English sense of the world) then you must be prepared for ridicule to some extent, I feel I can justify most things I say, If I cannot then I abandon it and reassess, that isn't the case for many of the BS merchants. I think the phase is:

Adapt or die... another reason Creationists or ID'ers (if you're feeling particularly con-y) hate the phrase.

Muz333 wrote:

I believe your under estimating the power of your own mind. If you tell yourself doing X activity will make you feel better then you will in fact feel better. It's basically a form of placebo affect as your bodies ability to heal itself is linked to your mood.

This would all make more sense if actually believed in any of it but I went into it believing it to be a load of rubbish & expecting it not to work - I was just intrigued how the instructors explained it all.

As it stands, I ask spirit guides (which I don't believe in) to channel a universal energy reiki (which I don't believe in) through my crown chakra (which I don't believe in) through my body & in through the aura (which I don't believe in) of the recipient (which could be myself or another person) to balance their chakras (which I don't believe in).

but for me it works, which either means there's something in it (doubtful) or that deep down there's a part of me that believes in all the angels and fairies and magical healing light

Alicia D'amore [sign in to see picture]

WandA wrote:

AdnaW wrote:

Ax

To some extent... If someone doesn't bother to use their nous (both Greek and English sense of the world) then you must be prepared for ridicule to some extent, I feel I can justify most things I say, If I cannot then I abandon it and reassess, that isn't the case for many of the BS merchants. I think the phase is:

Adapt or die... another reason Creationists or ID'ers (if you're feeling particularly con-y) hate the phrase.

Yes but there are some very normal people who just believe in just a little bit of woo - and whilst in my opinion they are wrong, if they want to believe something and aren't hurting anyone then I don't want to offend them..

It's about getting the right balance for me...if someone believes in "woo" and it reassures them and makes them feel better and they aren't harming anyone then it makes no odds to me.

It's when it gets harmful it starts to annoy me - like homeopathy - that really makes me mad because people die from the lack of treatment encouraged by homeopathic practitioners!

Ax

Perhaps you just like it as a hobby or the comfort.

Seems you've detached emotion from reason and you quite like the emotion that comes with the chakra loving and all that. You obviously think its rubbish but enjoy it... I wouldn't start thinking you're a bit mad and believe in fairies and such!

Although if you're interested, I have some REAL magic beans to sell....

(I tease only because you're obviously very intelligent and don't appear to actually believe to me.)

Don't do it CCW - we don't need any more bloomin beans!!!!

WandA wrote:

Perhaps you just like it as a hobby or the comfort.

Seems you've detached emotion from reason and you quite like the emotion that comes with the chakra loving and all that. You obviously think its rubbish but enjoy it... I wouldn't start thinking you're a bit mad and believe in fairies and such!

Although if you're interested, I have some REAL magic beans to sell....

(I tease only because you're obviously very intelligent and don't appear to actually believe to me.)

Before long I'll be listening to pan-pipes, wearing a kaftan & hanging dreamcatchers round the flat (so long as they don't interfere with my tinfoil hat or windchimes).

CurlyCpl wrote:

Don't do it CCW - we don't need any more bloomin beans!!!!

But these are magical beans...

bohohippy [sign in to see picture]

I used to enjoy boho fashion and really wanted to be a hippy :)

amandalou [sign in to see picture]

mines just my name lol

WandA wrote:

If you would like I'll adopt you Muz! You seem a lovely lad!

Ah, that's nice of you but I don't think I could stand staying in the room next to you and AdnaW, I expect it would

involve a lot of loud animal noises whenever I tried to sleep! Sorry for the late reply as well but I avoided this topic before I started ranting on about Scientology and Creationism so as not to offend anyone as I can get pretty argumentative when it comes to those subjects instead of just letting it slide. I suppose you could say I'm very passionate about science.

AdnaW wrote:

Still, Muz, I feel for you! Possibly the worst thing to be studying if your parents are creationists -I hope it doesn't detract from your interests at all!

Ax

Yeah, I think by picking Genetics I stuck a thorn in their side. It's just frustrating when I try to explain things such as mitochondrial DNA being a bacterial circular genome that got integrated into our own cells by the engulfment of a bacterial cell by our single/small cluster celled ancestors eons ago that resembles nothing like our own hypercoiled DNA and use this as a basis of evolution only to have her retort be "That's just your opinion".

WandA wrote:

CurlyCpl wrote:

As a philosopher... was it ethical?

Well it's entirely ethical. In order for a drug to be marketed and sold it has to show improvements significantly better than a placebo effect otherwise our government's would be splashing out cash on sugar pills that have no medicinal value.

CurlyCoupleWife wrote:

This would all make more sense if actually believed in any of it but I went into it believing it to be a load of rubbish & expecting it not to work - I was just intrigued how the instructors explained it all.

As it stands, I ask spirit guides (which I don't believe in) to channel a universal energy reiki (which I don't believe in) through my crown chakra (which I don't believe in) through my body & in through the aura (which I don't believe in) of the recipient (which could be myself or another person) to balance their chakras (which I don't believe in).

but for me it works, which either means there's something in it (doubtful) or that deep down there's a part of me that believes in all the angels and fairies and magical healing light

Well that does sound rather odd but I'm sure in some way you really enjoyed the experience and it relaxed you which is turn made you feel good about yourself. This would then cause your body to heal faster as your in a good mood.

Personally when I'm ill I'll have a hot bath to slow the viron/bacterium replication rates and allow my body to fight it off as your immune system also functions better at increased temperatures really tipping the favours. On top of that I avoid all medication as most inhibit evolved immune functions such as inhibiting pyrogens function to reduce fevers but fevers are actually our way of slowing the infection down and increasing our immune system productivity. After that I tell myself I'm better and 9 times out of 10 I won't noticeably feel ill. Whether it works or not I have no idea but there is evidence to suggest it does and as long as I believe it does I feel better.

Everis [sign in to see picture]

My username is a character I used to play in a RP game - geeky I know :)

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.