• Voting down reviews.

Laveila [sign in to see picture]

I would ignore if someone is doing it on purpose. I would personally keep reviewing. The Dildo is a good review. I like that and it is personal compared to the Siri/Zini vibes, thats about what I meant by personal. Do your reviews in similar style and they would be more informative for me, personally.

BashfulBabe [sign in to see picture]

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

I'm sure I actually voted (and some others here did too) for the "No" option on "was this review helpful" to be removed.

Maybe it should be re-thought again if the "No" should be rid of. I hardly ever use it, and it seems very few do use it, unless for blatently rubbish reviews of 3 sentances that say "This was awesome, my girl came all over it, and then I got a huge boner!" type thing. And even then, I tend to just ignore it rather than rate it down.

Rating up is always good though!

Yarp, we'd talked about that last time this became an issue, and I still agree. Any review that's good enough to get past the editors doesn't really need downranking. If there's only one and it's shite, well, people can see plainly that it's shite. If it's one of many, it can be just as easily 'buried' by ranking up the best ones as by ranking down the bad one. And if it's an alright amongst many other alrights, then it's good to have them all floating, so folk can put the pieces together and get a real opinion from the overall. I just cannot see downranking ever having any real use that wouldn't be surpassed by encouraging more use of the up-vote.

silverdrop [sign in to see picture]

I went and looked at my reviews, to see if they'd been downvoted. They haven't. Most don't have any ticks at all. Then I looked at yours. I don't think there's any issue at all with your reviews. Could they be improved? Sure, all of us have room for improvement as writers. But they are good, informative reviews. The focus on giving you writing critiques is distracting from the main issue, which is that someone is downvoting you without cause. I think you have a cyberstalker or something, and that's kind of scary.

SEXYGET 69 [sign in to see picture]

MM. I think you've made yourself a target by starting this thread. Whomever is negging your reviews is getting a reaction and loving all this! I personally wouldn't bring it to the fore. Carry on reviewing best you can and let all the petty bullshit go in one ear and out the other! Some people like short reviews, some like long, everybody is catered for here then aren't they? Maybe you're being a tad paranoid. maybe there's a clique getting their heads together and pissing you off for some reason? Who knows?

If somebody is taking the piss they need to get out more don't they? SG

Lovehoney - Alice [sign in to see picture]

Dirty Red Angel wrote:

What is the point of a fuctionality that doesn't work - turn it off!!!! Links eat posts!!

Hi Dirty Red Angel - I've been in touch with the tech team about it.

suze9 [sign in to see picture]

Nobody is accusing you of writing for a company or being at all nasty to you they are simply answering your request for help on why some people may be voting down your reviews.

You obviously want you to be the best reviewer you can and I honestly thought you would take my comment as a compliment not an insult as I was comparing your style to what a paid writer would produce but obviously I was wrong on that front so sorry but it really is how it comes across to me.

I am sorry if you dont/didn't like what I said but it was only in reply to your questions and was in no way ment to be mean or nasty but I feel its an honour to be picked to review something for lovehoney as you must do also or you would not be asking how to improve your reviews.

Lady Ness [sign in to see picture]

I don't understand why the inked glass dildo review has been marked down, as I too thought that was one of your better reviews. In fact I think it didn't have any negative or positive votes untill very recently, which I find odd that it's must have been marked down in the last week.

I think a while back a few people tested on their own reviews and people can only vote once on a review? I'll try and find the thread later.

Pixie_Murree [sign in to see picture]

^will do Hun xx^

sharry [sign in to see picture]

MM I don't think you're reviews are anything but helpful, I don't understand why they've been voted down. If you're going to add a few more 'personal' opinions then that'll be a bonus. Anyone who looks at the reviews can always skim them if they don't want to read it in full. Seems petty to me, or, it could just be someone clicked the wrong button.

Don't stop doing your reviews as they help a lot of people make a decision on a product, ignore the petty idiots.

Personally I don't see the point of the 'was this review helpful' button, it doesn't help in any way unless you get feedback as to why it was or wasn't helpful. Maybe if someone clicks the 'No' button they should be asked why?

The 'No' button is no more.

(And we're looking at this blooming glitch!)

Laveila [sign in to see picture]

I do agree with sexyget that MM could have make target of herself when she started to go really upset. There are people out there who do like enjoy doing this sort of thinks. I found out during the years when I was harrassed that silence, ignorance of those who are trying to do it makes it less severe as they are not getting the reaction they want to get. But when they get the reaction they want they will do it even more just to get another, worse, from the target.

So maybe just think about the few firstly marked reviews and ignore the rest and continue reviewing

Lady Ness [sign in to see picture]

After looking at the eden fantasy website some more, I like how they have a comment system for reviews where people will say if a review is good etc, also it gives people a chance to ask more questions about the product, or say things like 'interesting you found this with this product because I didn't experience' or something similar.

I think it would be nice if the review thread was working again, as I too liked the comments posted on there. I also like how I would be able to read a review posted by someone that I may have missed while searching the products and looking at the latest reviews.

The Nymphomaniac wrote:

After looking at the eden fantasy website some more, I like how they have a comment system for reviews where people will say if a review is good etc, also it gives people a chance to ask more questions about the product, or say things like 'interesting you found this with this product because I didn't experience' or something similar.

I think it would be nice if the review thread was working again, as I too liked the comments posted on there. I also like how I would be able to read a review posted by someone that I may have missed while searching the products and looking at the latest reviews.

By all means start up another one - I only closed it as it was eating posts (the tech team are, ahem, very aware of this glitch).

Lovehoney - Alice wrote:

But would it not be better to remove the whole function then? I find it really sad because it has been that was since I joined the site and has run pretty much smoothly and if you cant say no then whats the point of it being there at all?

MsGirth2011 [sign in to see picture]

The best reviews describe the product and how they have been enjoyed. I would happily see them slightly more graphic but i guess thats just me.

I would however like to be able to choose or sort them via sexual preference or by key words so i don't have to wade through reviews that aren't relivant to me.

For example to be able to see reviews that have Pussy in would mean I don't have to read the reviews about anal. Gain that culd just be me.

Reviews are like all types of writting it comes down to personal preference.

suze9 wrote:

Lovehoney - Alice wrote:

But would it not be better to remove the whole function then? I find it really sad because it has been that was since I joined the site and has run pretty much smoothly and if you cant say no then whats the point of it being there at all?

This wasn't a rash decision, it was first raised back in January and has been pondered over for some time. It re-emerging has just given us the further impetus to make a positive change.

I think the function was rather old school, Amazon-style with yes/no. Nowadays people are so much more used to 'liking' something and there being no negative response option.

At Lovehoney now we're much more focussed on positivity and affirmation and I think the 'No' button does upset people and that's not what we set out to do. We're keeping the functionality as it is likely to change into another 'liking' system in the future.

Thanks for clarifying that for me Alice as the last time it was a person clicking no for every new review not just one persons reviews. I think that giving a reason for a no would be a good thing and may make people think twice about just clicking and would give the writer feedback without threads like this being created.

him'n'her [sign in to see picture]

Firstly I should say I have never clicked on the yes/no buttons regarding reviews. If I did so, it would be to answer the question that was asked. "Did you find this review helpful?" Not Do you think this is a well written review? The two questions are entirely different but seem to be getting confused here.

I tend not to pay much attention to the longer reviews. The main reason for this, and this should be taken as a general observation and not a personal slight to anyone, is that many of the longer reviews appear to be little more than extended product descriptions.

In a review, I would be looking for a user opinion regarding form and function of the item. Is it comfortable, does it work etc. Possibly correcting anything in the product description that is less than accurate.

The speed of delivery or colour of the box doesn't really tell me anything about what the item is like to own or use. The materials/chemicals used in manufacture should be found in the product description on the page, so why would I read that again.

Some of the longer reviews make for great blog postings, which many of them are, but a blog posting and a user/customer review are, in my opinion, different things.

Blondii [sign in to see picture]

SEXYGET 69 wrote:

MM. I think you've made yourself a target by starting this thread. Whomever is negging your reviews is getting a reaction and loving all this! I personally wouldn't bring it to the fore. Carry on reviewing best you can and let all the petty bullshit go in one ear and out the other! Some people like short reviews, some like long, everybody is catered for here then aren't they? Maybe you're being a tad paranoid. maybe there's a clique getting their heads together and pissing you off for some reason? Who knows?

If somebody is taking the piss they need to get out more don't they? SG

-----------

Laveila

I do agree with sexyget that MM could have make target of herself when she started to go really upset. There are people out there who do like enjoy doing this sort of thinks. I found out during the years when I was harrassed that silence, ignorance of those who are trying to do it makes it less severe as they are not getting the reaction they want to get. But when they get the reaction they want they will do it even more just to get another, worse, from the target.

So maybe just think about the few firstly marked reviews and ignore the rest and continue reviewing

You took the words from my mouth sexyget and laveila well said. This was getting to be a personal attack on you MM.

Normal 0

First of all i would like to say; is that it took MM guts to post her reviews on here and ask for CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, everyone's reviews have room for improvement, my own included.

So hats off to you MM for that and some hugs* as I think you deserves that. Your an excellent writer and you shouldn't let some childish immature idiots put you off. Don't let them win by not writing anymore ; you are descriptive and thorough and you shouldn't change that.

Make the improvements you want to make, this thread is about advice afterall.

Thank you LH for removing the no button, as I definitely agree its being used out of context and in the wrong way; but to use the button as a personal attack against someone is childish and immature, this is an adult forum, no room for that behavior; this thread was feeding their sick games!

It definitely wasn't being used in the way it was intended sadly.

I feel the no button would only work if the person clicking it had to write a reason, but it shouldnt be posted publically it should go to that persons email, why should everyone read why they didnt like the review, they wouldnt have the guts to click it then as Suze said.

We just want to read the reviews not then read the whys and wherefores of it afterwards.

Great desision LH.

Blondii [sign in to see picture]

For what its worth I like longer reviews and mine are quite long too, because of that on my own blogsite; I add structure and headings so people can clearly skim down to the bits they personally are interested in..

I agree packaging isn't relevant to the buyer but more to the seller as if we were to buy it from a shop; we would maybe walk past a great toy because it has bad packaging; is that relevant for LH......no not really but most of us do it; maybe we should stop lol.

Everybody uses a review differently, there is no right or wrong way. so with so many of you great LH reviewers there will be something for everyone, but my pet hate is the short 1 sentence reviews; the whole point is to hear how that person felt about it, what did they feel, hear, smell.

I have been a writer for over 25 years and writing reviews has to be about the senses; sight, sound, smell, touch; none of which can be felt from the product explanation only us reviewers.

I feel you need to grab the reader on a personal note, I look for those reviews that I click with personally, that way I can make an estimated guess that I can trust that persons review and opinions.

I will say if I was excited or apprehensive to use something, as I think people will relate to my reviews if they feel apprehensive too. I also try to add a bit of me into every review and a little humour (or I try to).

If a review doesn't have any emotion or feeling I switch off and scroll for the next review.

On my own new sextoy blog I add my own photos of parts of the product to help show relevant points that cant be seen in a write-up. I also use my own measurements as they can differ.

I genuinely get excited about telling people about how good a product is or how it could be improved and i hope this comes across.

But All parts of a review are relevant to someone, we all pick the parts that are of interest to us and we are all different!

ps when I said "you shouldn't let some childish immature idiots put you off" on my last post; I didnt mean you guys that had answered this thread, i meant the one who clicked Minx's reviews down for fun", sorry if that sounded in the wrong context.

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.