• Voting down reviews.

sharry [sign in to see picture]

I agree, medium - long (informative) length reviews seem to be best to me. Especially if it's a luxury product. A word count/limit would be a bad idea in my opinion.

Lovehoney - Alice wrote:

I'm glad the review system at Lovehoney is popular - I love it and I think you all do a fab job with your reviews. I particularly like the way the reviews are linked to people's profiles so you can get a feel for what people like and don't like (this is helpful for me as well for choosing toys people would like to review).

It's good to be able to see link to the reviewers other reviews just so you can see if you have a common experience with the toys.

Mad4Sex [sign in to see picture]

Hiya,

First off when I'm looking to buy a product I'm usually happier with one that has at least a half dozen, preferably more, reviews. When reading reviews I usually go to the bottom of the list and work back towards the top so that I see the more negative reviews first. I understand why they are sorted the way that they are by default but I like to see what folks didn't like about a product and how many negatives there are before I read reviews from those that think that it is the best thing since sliced bread, I can then make a more balanced and informed decision. When writing a review I try and write it from a 100% personal experience perspective mentioning what I like what I don't like, anything that amused and any tips I can pass on etc.. Ironically some of my more amusing reviews never have seen the light of day as they were for review products which didn't get stocked like the pheromone spray that went down big time with our cats but not with any homo sapien females :).

Kind Regards

M4S

Lady Ness [sign in to see picture]

suze9 wrote:

I would say no to a word count because there are some excellent reviewers out there who can write long reviews that are informative, witty and personal at the same time and I really enjoy reading them rather than something that seems to be a direct copy from the products site or identical to a similar product.

I find it hard enough to write some reviews and would hate to be limited in what I had to say about the product and feel important information may get missed out.

The whole point is to give your individual experience of the product in the hope that it helps others make a decision on whether to buy, ie someone saying that lingerie size comes up small in a review would make me think about going up a size saving me having to return it which in turn saves Lovehoney having to process the return.

I agree with this.

Also I agree with AD that I prefer LH's review system more than any other UK sex toy site.

Thank you for your kind comment Chimera :)

I personally don't know what I would do if the review system did start to have word limits etc.

Pixie_Murree [sign in to see picture]

I don't have a problem with long reviews, if I'm not too interested I'll skim through the review but if I am interested (especially if it is an expensive product or one i'm not sure will fit me) I look for more indepth reviews to help me suss the product out.

There is no need for a word limit. As long as the review is informative about how the products perform at home then I'll read it no matter how long it is.

I haven't thought about putting the packaging info at the bottom (I have always put it at the top) but I will remeber for my next review as your all right - you want the good bits first and the run of the mill extra info towards the end.

silverdrop [sign in to see picture]

Long reviews are fine, but the option to have it broken up into sections would be nice, both as some guidance for the writer and so the reader can easily skip ahead to the part they are interested in.

I think people tend to write in the order in which they experience the product, so packaging > appearance and texture > power and performance > personal experience when using, but it sounds like readers would rather see the order reversed. Which is interesting.

Despina Rose [sign in to see picture]

I do prefer longer reviews, I always have done. If someone rights a lot of information on a product, I am much more likely to buy it.

That is how I have tried to review, and yes it is rather clinical, but I don't want to include personal things unless there is a problem.

To be honest, if there was a word limit I would stop reviewing, yes some of mine are long, but I also always use headings, if you don't like a part then move onto the next.

When I buy luxury toys or any toys for that matter I look for lots of information, especially noise, functions, material etc etc. I don't look for how someone found it unless it was bad, as every person and body is different. Some of the highest rated items I have found to be totally not for me.

I do feel a bit stuck now, I appreciate feedback but now I don't know how to use it. People have said I need to write less and less clinical and include more personal thoughts. I did think I was moving forward in reviews but it seems that I am going backwards.

Lovehoney - Alice [sign in to see picture]

silverdrop wrote:

Long reviews are fine, but the option to have it broken up into sections would be nice, both as some guidance for the writer and so the reader can easily skip ahead to the part they are interested in.

I think people tend to write in the order in which they experience the product, so packaging > appearance and texture > power and performance > personal experience when using, but it sounds like readers would rather see the order reversed. Which is interesting.

Very interesting, I also like those section headings. It seems the logical way to write them, but the logical way to display them is reversed. No reason why we can't do just that if we decide to re-jig the review system.

If you do change the review system, can you make sure you slowly introduce the changes etc. I'm a bit worried that if it did change a lot at once I might get writers block.

But yeah, I think Eden Fantasys has the option for sections when reviewing. I have a few toys from them so I'm gonna try and write a review on their site and see how it feels... it might be something that I need to get use to :)

Alice, would it be worth adding review heading parts? Like on edenfantasies. So people can skip the parts easily, add what sections they wish and not use what they don't want to?

Already been suggested above.

Lovehoney - Alice [sign in to see picture]

It definitely seems like something I should be looking at implementing. We've got an awful lot on our plate at the moment, but looking at the reviews system is on the list of things to improve.

Obviously, I'm not going to want to alienate or put anyone off so this is a very interesting preliminary discussion (sorry if I have derailed your thread!).

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

MM. The only thing I can sugest is you read through other peoples longer reviews so you can get a feel for the type of wording and manner and tone in those reviews. Maybe it can give you some inspiration?

It is a good idea but I don't want to start trying to imitating other peoples reviews or they way they review. Also, there isn't a function to look for longer reviews so it could take a while.

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

MM. The only thing I can sugest is you read through other peoples longer reviews so you can get a feel for the type of wording and manner and tone in those reviews. Maybe it can give you some inspiration?

I completely agree with AA, before I write a review I tend to read a few other reviews to get me in the mood.

I don't think I would like the heading option to be something you had to follow. I think EF give you the option. I will see, I'll write up my first review for them later this week hopefully.

BashfulBabe [sign in to see picture]

Aye, optional headings would be awesome. I loved it when we could use limited HTML to created bolded headings, but understand it had to be blocked if it's messing with site performance. But something along those lines, having the option to create your own clear headers within the wall o' text, does make it a little more accessible. When we could use them, I felt a lot more comfortable going on a bit, because it was easy to skip a section if it wasn't interesting, so it wasn't as intimidating, but now I constantly find myself trying to trim it down, as it's just one massive block.

sweetlove666 [sign in to see picture]

i tend to aim for about 300 words in a review. too long and you run the risk of waffling and confusing the reader. too short and most information could be missed.

However personally if im reading reviews and there's just pages of text by one person I tend to skip it, as I switch off realy easily!

Alicia D'amore [sign in to see picture]

x X x wrote:

I personally, prefer compact reviews on things I actually worry about like with lingerie sizing and basically how it "feels" on someone which you can't really get a grasp on online. As for female toys because I'm a regular buyer I find that I skim across a lot of lengthy reviews to get to the parts I want to know. However, what I find useless others and perhaps newer buyers may find extremely useful.

This is exactly why long reviews are great - if a reviewer has to *cut* bits to fit it into a word count then they may cut exactly the bit you need whereas a long review covers all the bases (if it's a well written long review) and you can skip to the relevant bits.

If I'm writing a *really* long review (see Zini Deux) then I'll add headings but I always have paragraphs and they're broadly ordered so you can read the first sentence of a para to realise what that para is about. At least that's how I review anyway and hopefully quite a few people do but headings might encourage that more (though we'd definitely need a questionaire to work out which headings are important - it'd be annoying to have something to say that just didn't *fit* anywhere!).

Adx

MasqueradeMinx wrote:

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

It is a good idea but I don't want to start trying to imitating other peoples reviews or they way they review. Also, there isn't a function to look for longer reviews so it could take a while.

I find even reading the shorter reviews can help. I don't know why you are worrying about writing similar to a real life reviewer when you seen to write like the person writing the actual product descriptions. Can't you even mix the writing style?

I guess it does take time to get your own style. Maybe write a few practice reviews for one product and compare them and bring them together? Just an idea.

Laveila [sign in to see picture]

MasqueradeMinx wrote:

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

It is not about imitating other people styles, but about getting an idea how to write a more personal review. After all you came here and asked what we think about the reviews and there was large agreement you should include more personal information into your reviews. And you can use more reviews than just the longest ones, just look what people including into the personal experience. Because I do suspect part of the unhelpfullness comes from people who were looking for some personal experience, but there is almost none. Please dont take this too harsly. It is not meant that way. I know you put lot of effort into it.

ju [sign in to see picture]

interesting thread... i read what i have time to read. less often do i read long reviews. i skim the write-ups for keywords about things i wanna know. i find the reviews really, really helpful. especially with the bras etc - i look for reviews written by women i know are roughly the same shape as me.

i don't think about the length of the reviews i write... i just note down what i really liked & disliked etc. things that matched what i, specifically, was looking for (ie fits fuller bust etc) sometimes there's lots to say, sometimes not much at all. but even a short, well written review can be helpful.

Dirty Red Angel [sign in to see picture]

Whilst I don't like long reviews I don't think there should be a word limit.

I'm also mixed about having headers - guess it would depend on how you used it. What would happen if you couldn't think of something to put under a heading? Would you just then end up reading rubbish because they needed something to fill in the headers? But, if they're optional then can't see the harm.

MM, we all imitate reviews in one way or another. Alice has made a good point earlier that there seems to be a fetish about packaging and 9 times out of 10 its at the start of a review. I only did this because I saw many many others had so I just followed the style!

I think you should just carry on doing what you're doing in the manner you feel comfortable in doing it. Like I've said previously, out of probably 100's and 100's of views on your reviews about 5 or 6 have been marked down. Not really something to be worrying about. for the majority they're obviously helpful enough.

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.