• Antony Nolan - Urgent need for 18-30 year old men to donate bone marrow (homosexuality welcome!).

    1314234130
    Alicia D'amore [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 3433
    • Joined: 2 Feb 2008

    Antony Nolan are looking for men aged between 18-30 to sign up to the bone marrow/blood stem cell register - this group are more likely to be chosen to donate, but only make up 12% of the people on the register. http://www.anthonynolan.org/

    They're also focusing on dispelling the common misconception that gay or bisexual men can't sign up - they can't give blood but gay and bisexual men can sign up to give bone marrow/blood stem cells. It's so important to get the register filled up with lots and lots of people since matching marrow is so difficult!

    Here's the story on gay and bisexual men http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2011/08/24/call-for-gay-men-to-donate-blood-stem-cells/

    So take a look at their criteria (you too girls, but boys especially) http://www.anthonynolan.org/What-you-can-do/save-a-life/Medical-exclusion-criteria.aspx - and if you're able and willing, get the ball rolling http://www.anthonynolan.org/What-you-can-do/save-a-life/Online-application.aspx

    It is completely crucial and life saving in many cancers of the blood but is also crucial treatment of other conditions too.

    Adxx

    1314235071
    crag630 [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Brigadier
    • Posts: 160
    • Joined: 7 Oct 2010

    So why can bisexual/gay folk not donate blood?

    1314235278
    sweetlove666 [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 1941
    • Joined: 17 Nov 2008

    crag630 wrote:

    So why can bisexual/gay folk not donate blood?

    it was once thought that gay/bisexual men were more likley to have various stis and HIV/AIDS. this is totally false

    (in fact last time I checked there was higher infection rates in hetrosexual females than any other group, closley followed by hetro men)

    Also does anyone know if I can join this register if im on the NHS blood service one?

    1314235630
    Alicia D'amore [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 3433
    • Joined: 2 Feb 2008

    If you're a man having sex with other men, you *are* more likely to be at risk of HIV transmission (although this is beginning to level out - it is a riskier behaviour just because the skin in the anal passage is so delicate and HIV is more transmissable via the blood) and HIV can lay undetectable for a period of time making testing for it a bit problematic if you're partaking in more risky sexual behaviour - they don't stop gay people giving blood, just men who have sex with other men so if you're gay but haven't had sex with a man you can give blood.

    That said, they are reviewing the current research out there in order to make sure this policy is still required (and if not, to remove it) but clearly, they have to be extra careful and 100% sure they're being as safe as they can be when passing blood into another person.

    I assume that with bone marrow they have more time to check your blood more thoroughly for blood-borne diseases so maybe that's why it *doesn't* apply to bone marrow - although the criteria do say that if you partake in risky sexual behaviour you may be prohibited (it doesn't state what it includes as that) but I'm not sure exactly why it's ok for bone marrow and not blood

    However - the blood donation side of it isn't relevant to this!! Saving a life is saving a life and if you can and are willing to do so, you should :D it's a shame that there are people who are negatively impacted by the blood doning rules - though these may change in the near future but that shouldn't stop anyone joining the bone marrow register :)

    Adxx

    1314235686
    crag630 [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Brigadier
    • Posts: 160
    • Joined: 7 Oct 2010

    where do you go to donate because being a student I cant afford to go very far.

    1314236055
    Alicia D'amore [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 3433
    • Joined: 2 Feb 2008

    sweetlove666 wrote:

    Also does anyone know if I can join this register if im on the NHS blood service one?

    I'm not sure I understand your question? If you give blood, I think you can also join the bone marrow register although I imagine you won't be able to be called up to give bone marrow if you've given blood in the last 3 months.

    Though you may want to check the medical criteria - I don't think I'm eligible because I have back problems (which is why I like to try and encourage others to join - I want to help the cause somehow and only wish I could join the register) and it does say people with certain conditions aren't eligible including neurological conditions.

    Adx

    1314236266
    Alicia D'amore [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 3433
    • Joined: 2 Feb 2008

    crag630 wrote:

    where do you go to donate because being a student I cant afford to go very far.

    The Antony Nolan people tend to head up to unis a lot! Have a look here for their recruitment events http://www.anthonynolan.org/What-you-can-do/save-a-life/Current-Recruitment-Events.aspx but you can also register online http://www.anthonynolan.org/What-you-can-do/save-a-life/Online-application.aspx and if you're eligible they'll send out a saliva testing kit for you to do at home and send back to them.

    Adx

    1314236868
    sweetlove666 [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 1941
    • Joined: 17 Nov 2008

    Alicia D'amore wrote:

    sweetlove666 wrote:

    Also does anyone know if I can join this register if im on the NHS blood service one?

    I'm not sure I understand your question? If you give blood, I think you can also join the bone marrow register although I imagine you won't be able to be called up to give bone marrow if you've given blood in the last 3 months.

    Though you may want to check the medical criteria - I don't think I'm eligible because I have back problems (which is why I like to try and encourage others to join - I want to help the cause somehow and only wish I could join the register) and it does say people with certain conditions aren't eligible including neurological conditions.

    Adx

    ahh not to worry, i'm getting confused, thought antony nolan was bone marrow where it's not

    1314237065
    Alicia D'amore [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 3433
    • Joined: 2 Feb 2008

    Yeah Antony Nolan is bone marrow - there are at least two bone marrow register services that I know of and the hospitals scan both if they're looking for donors so if you're already registered then you don't need to register again but they are separate from organ donor registers and blood doning.

    Adx

    1314237144
    sweetlove666 [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 1941
    • Joined: 17 Nov 2008

    sweetlove666 wrote:

    Alicia D'amore wrote:

    sweetlove666 wrote:

    Also does anyone know if I can join this register if im on the NHS blood service one?

    I'm not sure I understand your question? If you give blood, I think you can also join the bone marrow register although I imagine you won't be able to be called up to give bone marrow if you've given blood in the last 3 months.

    Though you may want to check the medical criteria - I don't think I'm eligible because I have back problems (which is why I like to try and encourage others to join - I want to help the cause somehow and only wish I could join the register) and it does say people with certain conditions aren't eligible including neurological conditions.

    Adx

    ahh not to worry, i'm getting confused, thought antony nolan was bone marrow where it's not

    just seen that it is, but the blood service have a registry as well, and i'm on that one http://www.nhsbt.nhs.uk/bonemarrow/index.asp

    they also don't have restrictions on weight

    1314282104
    ghostgirl [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Major General
    • Posts: 622
    • Joined: 26 Sep 2010

    bumping

    xGGx

    1314283251
    Lovehoney - Numbers [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Captain
    • Posts: 120
    • Joined: 2 Aug 2010

    Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

    Ooh! I didn't know that active homosexuals were unable to give blood. (when I first read it, I thought it was because of christians being uncertain of having homosexual blood in them - wouldn't be surprised actually...)

    I'll be sure to pass this on if I see any male friends applicable..

    It's bizarre and antiquated, especially as Teh Gays are more likely to have regular HIV/STI screening.

    1314283832
    Nymeria [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 1072
    • Joined: 26 Mar 2010

    Alicia D'amore wrote:

    If you're a man having sex with other men, you *are* more likely to be at risk of HIV transmission (although this is beginning to level out - it is a riskier behaviour just because the skin in the anal passage is so delicate and HIV is more transmissable via the blood) and HIV can lay undetectable for a period of time making testing for it a bit problematic if you're partaking in more risky sexual behaviour - they don't stop gay people giving blood, just men who have sex with other men so if you're gay but haven't had sex with a man you can give blood.

    I would have assumed that the risk is the same to anyone that receives anal? Not just necessarily homosexual males that do the act. I could understand the increased risk (in that group) but it seems unfair to rule them out completely when other groups aren't included in it. For example why are those that are actively involved in anal allowed but not homosexual males that do? I find it a little confusing. >.<

    And like AA, I didn't know that either... I assumed it was a past law or something.

    1314284005
    silverdrop [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: General
    • Posts: 317
    • Joined: 18 Sep 2006

    Restricting gays was probably warranted in the 80s and early 90s, when it was still not understood and highly stigmatized enough that patients were likely to be undiagnosed, but it should probably go away now. Of course, it's not going to be a really high priority politically, because you can't argue that anyone has a "right" to give blood, nor is there a large constituency of people who are going to make it their mission when there are other gay rights that matter more. But eventually the important issues will all be handled, and people can start to look into the smaller ones, and that will be good. =)

    1314284099
    JakeH [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Brigadier
    • Posts: 334
    • Joined: 12 Jul 2008

    I'm signed up to this, got a nice little card saying that being a potential donor 'makes me special'

    Did it at uni and all it takes is a tiny blood test done by a medical student I think, even managed to have a wee flirt with her while she was prodding my arm...

    1314284288
    fizzy [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 2213
    • Joined: 31 Oct 2010

    i think gay men should be allowed to give blood especailly when they are constantly asking for blood.this thread has got me thinking about giving blood agian when i get better as i havent given blood in ages

    1314284369
    Alicia D'amore [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 3433
    • Joined: 2 Feb 2008

    silverdrop wrote:

    Restricting gays was probably warranted in the 80s and early 90s, when it was still not understood and highly stigmatized enough that patients were likely to be undiagnosed, but it should probably go away now. Of course, it's not going to be a really high priority politically, because you can't argue that anyone has a "right" to give blood, nor is there a large constituency of people who are going to make it their mission when there are other gay rights that matter more. But eventually the important issues will all be handled, and people can start to look into the smaller ones, and that will be good. =)

    This. It was reasonable in the past and you are playing with other people's lives so I'd rather have an unfair blanket ban than increase risks unnecessarily for the sake of not offending someone who is not risking their life by giving blood - it's the reciever who is at risk and there for the reciever should be the priority, not the donor.

    However, they are probably outdated rules and they are reviewing the information available but these chances take time (and rightly so in my opinion).

    But this is a discussion for another thread!!

    This is all about the bone marrow register so go take a look :)

    Adx

    1314285470
    Alicia D'amore [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 3433
    • Joined: 2 Feb 2008

    These changes* take time.

    1314290354
    silveroldie [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Lieutenant
    • Posts: 23
    • Joined: 23 Aug 2011

    Please do sign up to be Bone marrow donors if you can .

    Donors are really scarce and adults with Leukaemia need them as well as young people.

    Did you know that in the UK it's very rare for an adult with Acute Myeloid Leukaemia who is over the age of 60 to get a transplant ? That's because they are counted as too old as we have difficulty getting enough donors for young people.

    Remeber as well that the recipient of Donated Bone Marrow has absolutely no resistance to any infection , as their own immune system is killed off before the transplant is done , so there has to be 100% certainty that the donated marrow is compatable , and the donor carried no infection.

    Please please sign up

    Post a reply to this thread

    Please sign in to post messages to the forum.