• Women prefer gaming to sex...

    1311029234
    Lovehoney - Richard [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Brigadier
    • Posts: 369
    • Joined: 28 Nov 2007

    Women prefer gaming to sex says survey by, er, Doritos.

    Has they been doing it wrong? 

    1311029572
    Despina Rose [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 5583
    • Joined: 18 Apr 2010

    Interesting survey.

    I have to say, it depends on my mood. Sometimes I don't feel in a sexual mood at all.

    I love gaming but again this depends on my mood.

    I can't say I prefer gaming to sex, overall I prefer sex, without question.

    I do think they aren't doing something right, perhaps, they haven't found Lovehoney

    1311029726
    Laveila [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 2923
    • Joined: 8 Nov 2010

    Well... I can understand why gaming is more fun than work for lot of people. Lot of people work to make money, not necessarily enjoying the work.

    But the sex is interesting. I do ply games and I know some people can really take it seriously and submit everything else to the game. Not my case. But some people do.

    1311030462
    Alicia D'amore [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 7082
    • Joined: 2 Feb 2008

    Oh things like this annoy me!

    It's not more women enjoy gaming than sex, it's of women who enjoy gaming, more women enjoy gaming than sex. The question was asked of women who'd already said they enjoyed gaming. And less than 50% of the women asked enjoyed gaming so it's not possible to claim that more women enjoy gaming than sex from that study!

    Simple stats people!

    That headline for that article is completely misleading *and* completely wrong!

    Adx

    P.s. sorry to take it all seriously :P but it's a big issue in the media today and a huge pet peeve!

    1311030934
    Despina Rose [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 5583
    • Joined: 18 Apr 2010

    Most surveys and studies aren't actually representative of the population. A small sample size or a type of person perhaps, but not society as a whole.

    I think one of the few is the cenus, though people can lie and what not.

    1311031037
    Laveila [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 2923
    • Joined: 8 Nov 2010

    I dont take surveys really seriously, there are just too many  uncertanities on how they were done.

    1311031276
    Alicia D'amore [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 7082
    • Joined: 2 Feb 2008

    MasqueradeMinx wrote:

    Most surveys and studies aren't actually representative of the population. A small sample size or a type of person perhaps, but not society as a whole.

    I think one of the few is the cenus, though people can lie and what not.

    There are loads of issues with survey design and expecting people to self report but that can be accounted for if the article describes the survey technique accurately - making claims that are just plain wrong is misleading. At least if you have all the info you know that a survey is less accurate than other forms of research and can consider that, but most articles don't give that info - or a link to the proper survey. Not to mention it's always important to take into account who paid for the study to be done.

    The Bad Science book by Ben Goldacre should be part of the National Curriculum! He deals with all this.

    Adx

    1311031437
    Lady Ness [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 3164
    • Joined: 16 May 2010

    I agree with AD in regards to the study.

    Anyway I love gaming, but you can do two things at once... I've found that you can enjoy sex while still gaming and it can be fun. Not only have I managed to game on one console and have sex at the same time, I have managed to play a playstation game,  a ds game, and have sex all at the same time. Though this doesn't happen often but it can be done. people use to read and do other dailey things while having sex, so why not gaming :)

    Though in regards to gaming I've found that it can prevent me from having sex if I play fighter or shooter games, I always win even when I go easy and the guys I win against don't tend to feel that great after, so I have to wait for them to cool down after.

    So I'm a serious gamer when I do game and still enjoy sex. Also I'd like to point out that I would still have sex normally while I'm on a gaming frenzy, I just like sex that much that I am able to still enjoy it why gaming, always nice when you can combined two hobbies :)

    1311031757
    Despina Rose [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 5583
    • Joined: 18 Apr 2010

    Alicia D'amore wrote:

    MasqueradeMinx wrote:

    Most surveys and studies aren't actually representative of the population. A small sample size or a type of person perhaps, but not society as a whole.

    I think one of the few is the cenus, though people can lie and what not.

    There are loads of issues with survey design and expecting people to self report but that can be accounted for if the article describes the survey technique accurately - making claims that are just plain wrong is misleading. At least if you have all the info you know that a survey is less accurate than other forms of research and can consider that, but most articles don't give that info - or a link to the proper survey. Not to mention it's always important to take into account who paid for the study to be done.

    The Bad Science book by Ben Goldacre should be part of the National Curriculum! He deals with all this.

    Adx

     

    I wasn't disagreeing with you, I was simply stating a point. I too have studied surveys and studies in regards to their validity and representation to the population as a whole.

    1311032019
    Alicia D'amore [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 7082
    • Joined: 2 Feb 2008

    I wasn't disagreeing with you either MM - just trying to stress that surveys have their values and we don't need to dismiss them entirely, it's more important that they're properly represented in the media and all the points you made *are* taken into account when deciding how much value to place on surveys but they can be useful in research :)

    Adx

    1311032907
    maccess [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Colonel
    • Posts: 343
    • Joined: 28 Sep 2010

    what rubbish

    1311067731
    mrbumps [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Colonel
    • Posts: 276
    • Joined: 23 Jun 2011

    depends what you mean by "gaming" because people who play those stupid bejeweled and other games of that genre think their "gamers" and lets add to the fact there tends to be a unwritten rule that games are mostly for men.

    1311070333
    BashfulBabe [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 1593
    • Joined: 24 Apr 2010

    "There are three kinds of lies:
    lies, damned lies, and statistics."

    So, most gamer women prefer gaming to sex...wonder how it would have come out if they took a 'random' sample of women who enjoy sex and asked how many prefer sex or gaming?

    Meh, sampling bias aside, it's an odd question.  Definitly would depend on my mood.  I'm unlikely to refuse sex for a game, but I'm also unlikely to abandon others who are counting on me for sex, so if I'm in the middle of or about to start a group raid that has been arranged and other people have set aside time for, then I'm not going to screw them over for a quickie.  But, that said, if I know beforehand that there's a good chance of sex, I'll cancel the gaming thing.  Overall, would say I prefer sex: if I had to give up one forever, I couldn't say no sex ever again, but I could live with no games, much as I'd hate it.  Although I would probably stab the person in the eye who made me choose, so...

    1311078935
    crag630 [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: General
    • Posts: 870
    • Joined: 7 Oct 2010

    Well just how many chicks do you see on hardcore games that are regular gamers and can not just kill you but also under stand the slang in such online games.

    1311079017
    rach74 [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 2393
    • Joined: 3 Dec 2010

    i like gaming but prefer sex 100% more

    1311104404
    Wilkibo [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: General
    • Posts: 1657
    • Joined: 10 Nov 2010

    I have to say I'm completely bewildered by the statistic quoted in the item that only 84% of the women who play online games enjoy playing 'em! Why r the other 16% playing at all?  

    1311104995
    Dirty Red Angel [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 1985
    • Joined: 16 Sep 2010

    Wilkibo wrote:

    I have to say I'm completely bewildered by the statistic quoted in the item that only 84% of the women who play online games enjoy playing 'em! Why r the other 16% playing at all?  

    Ha ha ha!! Very good point!

    Post a reply to this thread

    Please sign in to post messages to the forum.