• wolf whistle!!!

    1300827565
    Vampyrewillow [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: General
    • Posts: 825
    • Joined: 26 Jan 2009

    It makes me feel awkward and uncomfortable, i don't believe they are doing it because they find me attractive, it is clearly a joke. i don't like being the butt of a joke and it actually puts me on a downer for the rest of the day.

    i was out in town the other week for the first time and this man came over to me and made me dance with him, after i said no twice he grabbed hold of me and made me dance ( i was with my ex for 3 and a half years and only broke up a month ago at the time and had never danced with another man and felt physically sick at being touched even on the hand or waist by him) i really didn't like it, why wasn;t i allowed to say no to dancing? i didn't want to dance with him, i haven't found another lad attractive since before i was with my ex so it was really really awkward for me and made me feel like a weirdo and even though we have broken up it made me feel like i was cheating! so imagine if i was still with my ex and he made me dance i would have felt even worse!

    after my auntie pulled me away from the boy he came over to me and grabbed tight hold of my arm and tried to drag me away, my auntie kept hold of me and the man scratched me as he was trying to drag me away, it was really awkward and uncomfortable.

    not to mention i also thought he was doing that pull a minger thing i have heard about =/ i am so new to the whole pub/club/bar scene so it really affected me!

    VW x

    1300831765
    The Midnight Hour [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Lieutenant
    • Posts: 29
    • Joined: 5 Feb 2011

    I wolf whistled at a friend of mine last week she thought I was taking the mick but she genuinly looked good .  I have wolf whistled at men before and bless them they looked so confused.

    1300832340
    Paddy89 [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Lieutenant Colonel
    • Posts: 188
    • Joined: 20 Nov 2010

    After reading this thread this morning and admittedly being surprised at how often this seems to happen, I walked into uni with my roommate. And what should happen but a van drives past and honks his horn at her. She immediately replied with an instinctive "FUCK OFF!" a the top of her voice. I did giggle but she obviously finds it irritating.

    Personally I wouldn't do it cos I simply don't have the balls. And even if I did, I overthink things so I would worry for the rest of the day about whether I ruined the girl's day, or happen to see her again and she's tear my head off.

    1300832424
    ghostgirl [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 1801
    • Joined: 26 Sep 2010

    Vampyrewillow wrote:

    It makes me feel awkward and uncomfortable, i don't believe they are doing it because they find me attractive, it is clearly a joke. i don't like being the butt of a joke and it actually puts me on a downer for the rest of the day.

    i was out in town the other week for the first time and this man came over to me and made me dance with him, after i said no twice he grabbed hold of me and made me dance ( i was with my ex for 3 and a half years and only broke up a month ago at the time and had never danced with another man and felt physically sick at being touched even on the hand or waist by him) i really didn't like it, why wasn;t i allowed to say no to dancing? i didn't want to dance with him, i haven't found another lad attractive since before i was with my ex so it was really really awkward for me and made me feel like a weirdo and even though we have broken up it made me feel like i was cheating! so imagine if i was still with my ex and he made me dance i would have felt even worse!

    after my auntie pulled me away from the boy he came over to me and grabbed tight hold of my arm and tried to drag me away, my auntie kept hold of me and the man scratched me as he was trying to drag me away, it was really awkward and uncomfortable.

    not to mention i also thought he was doing that pull a minger thing i have heard about =/ i am so new to the whole pub/club/bar scene so it really affected me!

    VW x

    This isn't the same as a whistle, this is assalt and should be treated as such. While I believe in and will defend it regardless of how I feel about what is being said this man crossed the line.

    I only hope that it doesnt stop you from going out and enjoying yourself.

    xGGx

    1300834622
    Booties [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 1100
    • Joined: 9 Dec 2010

     I have to come here just to say;

    I went out to a friends house a couple of roads down this evening at about 8pm, and a big group of 16-19 year olds (it was dark) jeered and whistled at me. I was just wearing jeans and a shirt (it's warm here tonight), nothing sexy, so I assume they were just pissing about... But it sorta upset me because it was dark and I was on my own.

    1. I found it ironic after this thread and

    2. I now completely stand by the argument that it depends how they do these things. One guy looking me over briefly and "wheeeew"ing is different to a group of guys jeering and intimidating me just to look good.

    1300835511

    [suspended user]

    suspended user
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 7450
    • Joined: 30 Oct 2008

    Yep a wolf whistle delivered in the daylight by one guy towards a girl is ok but a group of guys in the dark towards a girl on her own is quite worrying and scary for the girl concerned and totally out of order

    1300903369
    SnL [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Brigadier
    • Posts: 612
    • Joined: 12 Feb 2011

    Well if it's a cheeky wolf whistle, I find it quite amusing.

    What I don't like is a car slowing down whilst you are walking along and the driver stares at you and even whilst the car has moved passed you. That happened about 30mins ago. There was no one else around.

    There were a cpl of honks but I just ignored those coz I dunno whether they're expressing if they are angry at me or if I look good.

    Groping and jeering is not good.

    And that experience Booties has told is not good either.

    1300918291
    Vampyrewillow [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: General
    • Posts: 825
    • Joined: 26 Jan 2009

    ghostgirl wrote:

    Vampyrewillow wrote:

    It makes me feel awkward and uncomfortable, i don't believe they are doing it because they find me attractive, it is clearly a joke. i don't like being the butt of a joke and it actually puts me on a downer for the rest of the day.

    i was out in town the other week for the first time and this man came over to me and made me dance with him, after i said no twice he grabbed hold of me and made me dance ( i was with my ex for 3 and a half years and only broke up a month ago at the time and had never danced with another man and felt physically sick at being touched even on the hand or waist by him) i really didn't like it, why wasn;t i allowed to say no to dancing? i didn't want to dance with him, i haven't found another lad attractive since before i was with my ex so it was really really awkward for me and made me feel like a weirdo and even though we have broken up it made me feel like i was cheating! so imagine if i was still with my ex and he made me dance i would have felt even worse!

    after my auntie pulled me away from the boy he came over to me and grabbed tight hold of my arm and tried to drag me away, my auntie kept hold of me and the man scratched me as he was trying to drag me away, it was really awkward and uncomfortable.

    not to mention i also thought he was doing that pull a minger thing i have heard about =/ i am so new to the whole pub/club/bar scene so it really affected me!

    VW x

    This isn't the same as a whistle, this is assalt and should be treated as such. While I believe in and will defend it regardless of how I feel about what is being said this man crossed the line.

    I only hope that it doesnt stop you from going out and enjoying yourself.

    xGGx

    i know it is totally different but it seems to be a socially acceptable thing. all the people i was with were dancing with men who they weren't interested in, my friend is in a relationship and was being grinded upon by a man because she was too polite to actually tell him to fuck off! she frequently moved away and tried to dance alone but he kept grabbing her. but nobody thought this was odd or wrong apart from me because i haven't danced with more than one man in my life!

    it won't stop me from going out because i don't really have an interest in going out anyway so it will be a rare thing anyway, but if it was something that was happening every week i would be mortified!

    i don't think it will because i do think it was a joke, i just didn't like it

    VW x

    1300924195
    ghostgirl [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 1801
    • Joined: 26 Sep 2010

    Vampryewillow  

    It may have been the norm for the place  you were in but it still feels very wrong to me, it may be an age thing. I Think im a bit older than you but it would have made me very uncomfortable although I have got to the stage where I will tell someone to take a hike.

    xGGx

    1300938719
    YesChef [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Major
    • Posts: 175
    • Joined: 3 Dec 2008

    Apologies for joining this thread rather late in the conversation, but, well, why break the habit of a lifetime.

    Wolf-whistling: never done it, never would. I can't specifically recall ever paying a random stranger a compliment either, but I don't have any particular objections to that - people are only strangers until you start talking to them, and if you're going to talk to someone you might as well open with a compliment, motives aside. Normal rules of common sense apply - I wouldn't start a conversation with a woman on her own on a bus or train, so that's also not a time to pay someone a compliment.

    There's a great (though rather long) quote from Cardinal Newman that seems appropriate - http://www.his.com/~z/gentleman.html for those who are interested. It's a bit long to paste the whole thing here.

    1300987989
    BigPoppa [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Brigadier
    • Posts: 573
    • Joined: 24 Jan 2010

     Not something I'd do and never actually heard someone do other than in a close group of friends and clearly jokey way.

    I imagine that a lot of the time the blokes who wolf whistle would be unlikely to do so on their own. that strange group mentality that kicks in with blokes together.

    Reminds me of that Harry Enfield sketch with the builders

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJa7VzfWJQg&feature=related

    1304030401
    SnL [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Brigadier
    • Posts: 612
    • Joined: 12 Feb 2011

    To all the honkers out there... Please stop honking.

    Everytime a car honks it makes me jump and I lose my composure.

    Reminds me of an organ in a church and I do not like organs.

    1304031320
    chipNroll [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: General
    • Posts: 708
    • Joined: 3 Aug 2010

    SnL wrote:

    To all the honkers out there... Please stop honking.

    Everytime a car honks it makes me jump and I lose my composure.

    Reminds me of an organ in a church and I do not like organs.

    This happened to me today! I felt like a loser for jumping out of my skin

    1304033436
    Littlekisses [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Lieutenant
    • Posts: 4
    • Joined: 12 Mar 2011

    I was wolf whistled at today as I got out of my car. I didnt turn to look at the men but enjoyed a little smile to myself, only to trip over my own foot and look a right idiot! The whole thing made me chuckle to myself. I like being whistled at, it boosts my confidence and proves i've still got it even at 34! Not that I think I am that old!

    1304034184
    SnL [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Brigadier
    • Posts: 612
    • Joined: 12 Feb 2011

    Also, the honks differ in tune and sound... It's alarming and confusing!

    Post a reply to this thread

    Please sign in to post messages to the forum.