• wolf whistle!!!

WandA [sign in to see picture]

Ecksvie wrote:

I don't think wolf whistles, beeping horns etc in themselves are inherently disrespectful, but the delivery of them make a huge difference. A wink or a wave while doing it would be a compliment, whereas waving their arms about, making noise etc would be disrespectful in my view because it's objectifiying.

More so this.

Of course gaining someone's attention isn't inherently disrespectful but the delivery and intentions behind it often are, making it the case that it's generally an act of idiocy rather than an altruistic little confidence boost for a lady.

Doug [sign in to see picture]

well thats the world we live in, so toughen up and live with it.

Nymeria [sign in to see picture]

Ecksvie wrote:

I think it can be disrespectful, depending on how it's said.

I used to get wolf-whistled and stuff back at school, but I was aware that 99% of the time it was sarcastic and it was intended to hurt me. I wasn't much of a looker back then and not as strong as I am now, so I was an easy target.

Now I'm older, I find it easier to tell if it's serious or not when someone does that kind of thing. Someone on their own, I'd be more inclined to take it as a compliment of how nice I look, rather than a group of lads passing by like WandA said, as it tends to be more a case of "I'd like to get my dick in that!" than actually about the person.

I don't think wolf whistles, beeping horns etc in themselves are inherently disrespectful, but the delivery of them make a huge difference. A wink or a wave while doing it would be a compliment, whereas waving their arms about, making noise etc would be disrespectful in my view because it's objectifiying.

Agreed.

I hate any sort of attention like that because it's quite intimidating. Especially when I'm alone and there's a gang of guys.

I think it also depends on the recipient. Some take it lightly and see it as a compliment.

I find it disrespectful and lewd for the most part. It can be quite flattering but there are better ways of going about it. Also, it took a while for me to actually know what to say when Im being flirted with.. FYI people, saying you're single isn't what you should say when you're not interested.. even if you are. >.<

WandA [sign in to see picture]

Doug wrote:

Alas, we are not all of the same 'toughness' Doug. I shall make a note to live with the world exactly as it is.

[suspended user]

suspended user

In days gone by when there were still some morals left on this planet a wolf whistle was seen as a compliment to beuatiful looking girls.But now things have changed god knows what goes through some guys/girls heads.So if you think that is a nasty thing to have happen to you i'm sorrtheres a lot worse things going down out there.If its a crude comment then that is another story all together and not on really.

Dirty Red Angel [sign in to see picture]

Doug wrote:

Are you saying that you think its acceptable that people should be made to feel awkward?

And I'm not distinguishing between men and women here since I imagine it would be just as awkward for a shy male to be wolf whistled at and propositioned by a group of women.

It is quite intimidating to be leered at by a group of blokes and its not something you should have to "put up with".

And, I'm not on about the friendly beep of a horn (even though I hate it) or a whistle, I'm on about the more intimidating actions

LittleKitty wrote:

Doug wrote:

Are you saying that you think its acceptable that people should be made to feel awkward?

And I'm not distinguishing between men and women here since I imagine it would be just as awkward for a shy male to be wolf whistled at and propositioned by a group of women.

It is quite intimidating to be leered at by a group of blokes and its not something you should have to "put up with".

And, I'm not on about the friendly beep of a horn (even though I hate it) or a whistle, I'm on about the more intimidating actions

i think that people shouldn't make such a big deal of it. After all there are plently of things in life that i would rather not have to deal with but have to. You can after all just ignor it

chipNroll [sign in to see picture]

Doug drives a white van!

Ecksvie [sign in to see picture]

I agree with both sides, to a certain extent. It's a fact of life that there will always be idiots out there who will do things to either accidentally or intentionally make you feel awkward or intimidated, and to a certain extent you do just have to put up with it and not let it affect you. At the same time, this does not make it an acceptable thing to do either. Putting someone else down is never a good or acceptable thing to do, even though most of us have been through it many times in our lives. Being able to ignore it is a good ability to have, but either way, it is the giver who is at fault rather than the reciever.

chipNroll wrote:

Doug drives a white van!

Erm ok (can someone explain the relevance to me?)

And its a silver corsa actualy :P

Ecksvie [sign in to see picture]

Doug wrote:

so let me get this stright, your opinion is that people shouldn't say something if they think it will be offensive to someone else?

There's a big difference between stating an opinion on something which might cause offence, and saying or doing something with the direct intention of causing offence.

glitter&gold [sign in to see picture]

Booties wrote:

I used to get these when I dressed gothic. My favourite retort was "Shut it, or I'll put your babies in my oven". =)

mega lols!!

Nymeria [sign in to see picture]

Doug wrote:

LittleKitty wrote:

Doug wrote:

i think that people shouldn't make such a big deal of it. After all there are plently of things in life that i would rather not have to deal with but have to. You can after all just ignor it

It's not about how there are worse things out there... If you're going to use that point well, then you can apply it to anything, really. Not everyone is the same where they can just ignore actions like that. Some people are pretty sensitive to these things. I think that's why it's disrespectful, in a sense. Not everyone will take it lighlty and as a compliment.

I find it unacceptable when someone has to feel like crap over someone elses behaviour like that.

Dirty Red Angel [sign in to see picture]

Doug wrote:

LittleKitty wrote:

Doug wrote:

This is very true but since the OP asked, we've responded and said some of us don't like it!

I do ignore it, if it happens - I certainly don't let it ruin my day (and like I said sometimes I'm secretly pleased).

I think what I'm trying to say is what Ecksvie has just said, in a much more succinct way...

Ohhh ok,

when i was in cadets i "apparently" had a white van for a different reason :P

But the humor there was extreamly harsh and not for sensitive ears

ghostgirl [sign in to see picture]

I dont have a problem if it is just a whistle or a horn honk, only if it is accompanied by lewd coments.

To be fair I dont get so many, probably my age but saying that did get one last week. Also think the timing makes a big difference what can be acceptable in broad daylight can be very intimidating at night especially if you are on your own.

Doug, white van men have a reputation for it as have lorry drivers.

Appologies to any WVM or lorry drivers I have now upset just an observation

xGGx

[suspended user]

suspended user

Yes its must be quite imtimadating when a lady is on her own at night feeling very vunerable not nice at all guy's

Mr Monster [sign in to see picture]

Doug wrote:

so let me get this stright, your opinion is that people shouldn't say something if they think it will be offensive to someone else?

That works for me.

Mr Monster wrote:

Doug wrote:

That works for me.

doesn't for me. People die for the right to say what they like

ghostgirl wrote:

To be fair I dont get so many, probably my age but saying that did get one last week. Also think the timing makes a big difference what can be acceptable in broad daylight can be very intimidating at night especially if you are on your own.

xGGx

see when it crosses into being intimidating thats not ok. but there is a difference between offensive and intimidating

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.