• Stupid medication... can't orgasm

kimberlyc [sign in to see picture]

I'm on anti-depressants and I can't have an orgasm. It sucks!

I'm on Citalipram, which is supposedly the one with the fewest sexual side effects. I can get aroused, but I can't climax, no matter what I do. Even my rabbit can't get me off.

I'm tempted to go off them, again, but the last time I did that, I became sort of manic. I am generally only on them in the winter, due to SAD, so I won't be on them for much longer. But, in the meantime, it's a real drag.

Tigerlilies [sign in to see picture]

katy.bird wrote:

I'm on Citalipram, which is supposedly the one with the fewest sexual side effects. I can get aroused, but I can't climax, no matter what I do. Even my rabbit can't get me off.

I'm tempted to go off them, again, but the last time I did that, I became sort of manic. I am generally only on them in the winter, due to SAD, so I won't be on them for much longer. But, in the meantime, it's a real drag.

Hi I had the exact same thing (arousal no orgasm) when I was on tramadol. For eight months. I feel your pain.

Please speak with your doctor, they're a lot of stuff on the market that could work better for you. If you're doctor isn't friendly, see a different GP.

Tigerlilies [sign in to see picture]

Tigerlilies wrote:

katy.bird wrote:

Hi I had the exact same thing (arousal no orgasm) when I was on tramadol. For eight months. I feel your pain.

Please speak with your doctor, they're a lot of stuff on the market that could work better for you. If you're doctor isn't friendly, see a different GP.

was writnig two sentences in one there. please ignore the typo

Carousel [sign in to see picture]

Hi Katy.

I too have been on Citalopram, however, for my sins, am now on much stronger meds - your title leaped out at me because this is a problem I had some time ago.

Firstly, don't just come off them - speak to your doc.

Secondly, have you tried any of the 'orgasm balms' that Lovehoney sell? I have a tiny bottle of gel that I bought from somewhere else, but it's herbal in the same way as the balms LH sells, and when I was having troubles, it really helped.

It's worth bearing in mind that your meds will dull your senses, so it may not be a cure all, but worth a try.

Lastly, difficult as I know it is, if you're due to come off them meds, try not to let it stress you out too much, as stress can also have a negative effect on orgasm-ability!

Hope you get your mojo back soon!

MrsPx

Carousel [sign in to see picture]

Tigerlilies wrote:

Hi I had the exact same thing (arousal no orgasm) when I was on tramadol. For eight months. I feel your pain

I'm on Tramadol (long term) amoungst other things, and am still able to have fantastic orgasms, though it takes longer to build up to them. It might be worth taking a look at you technique, just incase your expectation/disappointment is hampering your ability to orgasm - hope that doesn't sound patronising - just meant that things may not work as they used to!

MrsPx

lilac_vix [sign in to see picture]

Maybe you just need to try a few different things to see what works for you? It's taken me 5 GP's to find one thats actually willing to listen to my thoughts on the side effects of the various meds and actually he asks me to give each one a time to settle with them and see how they affect me and if its not working he weans me on to something different. I found him through a recommendation on another forum.

Prozac was the one that killed my sex drive but actually I'm on Citalipram now and I'm having more orgasms than ever before, and discovered squirting.

It just goes to show everyones different. (plus the Citalipram prescribed for my depression has actually tipped me in to a manic episode so it seems we get the exact opposite effect from it)

OperationFilth [sign in to see picture]

Don't just drop them - try talking to your doc about it. They might be able to find you something different?

In the meantime, try (and I know this is easier said than done, but) not to put too much pressure on yourself to climax, as that will only hinder your efforts...

I take escitalopram (cipralex) and had the same problem. Luckily, for me, it went away after a couple of months - I assume you've been on them a while now? One thing I found that did help was using an orgasm intensifier (thing the Tracy Cox Orgasm Arousal Gel, the Flower Power balm or the Pin Ups Bombshell Balm (and as an aside, the bullet with that one totally rocks))

Anyway, the best of luck, and I hope things get back to normal asap for you xxx

Mr Monster [sign in to see picture]

That's one reason I'm very reluctant to go on anti-depressants in the first place. Hope you can find one that works for you, or maybe alter the dose until the effects balance out?

But the advice to just relax and give yourself a bit of slack sounds good. No pressure, and enjoy your body.

Good luck!

MrMr

StrawberryNymph <3 [sign in to see picture]

I've had the exact same problem.

But the one thing that help me was to except that my body was also stressed on top of the medication. So I tried to except that, and focus more on just enjoying sexual activity and not focusing on getting the orgasm (to start with).

I started to put on some good music - usually my mp3 cause it's so much easier to block everything out when you can't here anything. I then told myself that it didn't matter if I got the orgasm, but that I was just going to relax and enjoy it - and oh didn't I!

It took me about two times where I "only" enjoyed the nice feeling, and the third time ORGASM. For me I think the focus on "getting there" stressed my mind and body even more, and I lost the joy of it - I started to feel asexual and didn't want to keep trying when all my body did was to fail me.

So now when I get in the mood I just focus on enjoying even the tiniest good feeling, and it really helps. Realising that my body itself was stressed really helped me to relax and just taking it a step at the time.

Good luck :) xx

I think it's because I have gone on and off them. It's true that when I've been on them for a while, I can orgasm, but it takes a little longer. However, I went off them so that I could enjoy sex on a special night, then went back on them and now I'm not coming.

However, I only take them in the winter - it's the Scottish winters that get me down. Not horribly depressed - just irritable and a bit grumpy. So, I don't really take them "seriously" hence the going on and off them.

I'm due to go off them soon, anyway.

paradise found [sign in to see picture]

katy.bird wrote:

However, I only take them in the winter - it's the Scottish winters that get me down. Not horribly depressed - just irritable and a bit grumpy. So, I don't really take them "seriously" hence the going on and off them.

Have you thought about trying a SAD light instead? Lots of people have success with those lights when the depression is caused by lack of sunlight

Yeah, I bought one of those. Cost £100 and did nothing for me.

Wilkibo [sign in to see picture]

Things could be worse! I remember when I was in a psychiatric hospital & was put on antipsychotic medication. This increased my libido enormously but there was no chance of sexual release which didn't help the situation 1 bit!

toycar69 [sign in to see picture]

how do you mean "no chance" Wilki? Is that like no chance because you were under observation, or no chance because the meds prevented it?

I've recently wondered about the effects of ADs on sex drive and imagined it would help "balance out" me and wifey's sex drives, but after looking at the effects of some the the meds mentioned here, its really scary stuff!

Wilkibo [sign in to see picture]

toycar69 wrote:

how do you mean "no chance" Wilki? Is that like no chance because you were under observation, or no chance because the meds prevented it?

I wasn't officially "under observation" but there was very little privacy (what with cleaning staff and being assessed). I wasn't dangerous (except perhaps to myself) and was in there voluntarily. To clear up any further misunderstanding, I was on antipsychotic medication for Bipolar Disorder, not for psychosis!

pacnatman [sign in to see picture]

To any man who really needs to be on AD meds etc, get it sorted out from that perspective first and worry about the potential after-effects later. The reasons for taking the meds can easily be as big an issue with sexual performance as can the meds themselves. My issues were such that my meds had to be sorted out by a Consultant Psychiatrist. My GP was well-intentioned but, on his own admission, clueless. Also, there are ADs, etc that GPs cannot prescribe.

Me, I am on a large dosage of Venlafaxine, an SSNI drug. I do have some side-effects from it, namely delayed ejaculation. Some might say that is a plus point, to a point!

As others have said there are other ways to re-enhance your sensitivity e.g. lubes, firmer handling, etc.

You won't know what the best approach is until you try it. If something does not work out you can always stop and try something else.

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.