• Endometriosis question....

occhiverdi [sign in to see picture]

I have been suffering a collection of issues recently from bleeding during sex to crippling back/abdominal pain. I was diagnosed with PCOS at 18 (now 30) but to my fascination an ultrasound a few months ago showed that all the cysts have cleared although I seem to still have ongoing pain that I would dare to say is worse than it was. I suffer from suspected IBS and bouts of depression also.

In talking to my friend, she suggested looking into getting checked out for endometriosis as the symptoms sound pretty similar and pay not be cronic cystitus/kidney pain as I thought!!

I am wondering if anyone here has experience of this and if they

woops... if they have ahd experience of asking their doctor to help out. Wouldnt it have shown on the ultrasound???

Lady Ness [sign in to see picture]

occhiverdi wrote:

I have been suffering a collection of issues recently from bleeding during sex to crippling back/abdominal pain. I was diagnosed with PCOS at 18 (now 30) but to my fascination an ultrasound a few months ago showed that all the cysts have cleared although I seem to still have ongoing pain that I would dare to say is worse than it was. I suffer from suspected IBS and bouts of depression also.

In talking to my friend, she suggested looking into getting checked out for endometriosis as the symptoms sound pretty similar and pay not be cronic cystitus/kidney pain as I thought!!

My friend was diagosed with PCOS a few years ago, and now has IBS and depression. She has had a similar thing happen to her in the past year, her doctors found that she had diabetes but couldn't tell if this was causing the pain like what you described... they are still trying to find out what is up, and aren't doing a very good job of it. they just keep saying maybe it it is her body reacting to type 2 diabetes.... anyway you probably don't have diabetes but maybe something else in your body has changed that would cause you body to become more sensative to pain?

The Nymphomaniac wrote:

occhiverdi wrote:

My friend was diagosed with PCOS a few years ago, and now has IBS and depression. She has had a similar thing happen to her in the past year, her doctors found that she had diabetes but couldn't tell if this was causing the pain like what you described... they are still trying to find out what is up, and aren't doing a very good job of it. they just keep saying maybe it it is her body reacting to type 2 diabetes.... anyway you probably don't have diabetes but maybe something else in your body has changed that would cause you body to become more sensative to pain?

Type II is really common in PCOS ladies due to the weight and something else (cant remember), I have been checked and no I don't have it luckily as it runs in my family.

It wouldnt explain the pain during sex and the bleeding.

ZombieCpl [sign in to see picture]

interestingly i watched a program with a girl in the very same situation a couple of days ago. the pain during sex and abdominal pain was caused by scar tissue from previous infections- in your case could be what you were diagnosed with. the bleeding was just her body imbalance so she had a mirena coil fitted. obviously im not a doctor and i havnt suffered likewise so i cant offer much great advice

Laveila [sign in to see picture]

As for endometriosis, I actually asked about that my doctor (as I am suffering extreme pain during my period) and the only way to make sure if it is or it is not the problem is laparoscopy. Which is ironical, as apparently that can cause the problem to appear. Or any infection in the abdomen, such as the appendix.

Endometriosis can cause painful sex and bleeding as it can affect any part of your body, depending on where the tissues from the womb settles. But it can be also some scaring from previous infections. Only doctor can tell you the options. And how to proceed. Best of luck.

Alicia D'amore [sign in to see picture]

As Laveila said - confirmation of endo requires a laparoscopy which is keyhole surgery - they can look for signs of endo and tidy up any severely affected areas etc. whilst they're in there but it's a big decision.

They can sometimes treat it as likely if you have the symptoms, it runs in the family or common treatments reduce the symptoms but it can't be diagnosed with certainty without the surgery.

Definitely worth speaking with your doctor to see your best next step. For me, I was told it was likely I had it since I had the symptoms, which decreased with the right pill and my mother had it very young. But I've never been officially diagnosed. Luckily my symptoms are mostly manageable for me and the pill should hopefully maintain my fertility but if it's suspected you have it you do need to look at treatment as not only are the symptoms a bitch but it can also cause infertility the longer it's left untreated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endometriosis

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/endometriosis.htm

Adxx

@dkelly My mum saw the exact same programme and mentioned it to me, as I have been in more and more recently.

@Laviela and AD... I have booked the doctor again tomorrow (now i feel like im just nutso going back and forth). The past month I've been there for consistant UTI pain, back pain, bleeding during sex (although it varies in the amount), pain during sex, unknown reason for a swollen stomach, persistant thrush, more UTI infections....

Due to all that I was sent for a lower abdo ultrasound which came back all clear, great but annoying as it gives me no answers!!

I was talking to my friend who has endo, and she said it sounds exactly like her and I really should push to get it checked out properly as the thrush treatments, I was on about 1 a week from the doc havent really made a difference except reduce the amount of blood.

I am on the pill have been (on and off) since I was 18 to treat the PCOS. I had already accepted the fertility issues linked to PCOS so that wouldn't shock me too much she says confidently!!

*and breathe* lol

toycar69 [sign in to see picture]

My wifey has endo. She had been trying to find the cause of the pains for some while, and her doc was uncertain so she ask for the kehole surgery. As is happens, she got her own diagnosis right.

It seems the main treatment is using the contraceptive pill, and in my wife case she uses it continually without a monthly break. They also say getting pregnant can cure it, but it hasn't in our case.

justmish [sign in to see picture]

@occhi feel for you been having same thing for years they finally did a lapaoscopy and found endo and burnt it all away

but i was given coil and it didnt agree with me

hope you get something sorted soon

Laveila [sign in to see picture]

occhiverdi: I feel for you. I had appendix problems and my really painful period started round that time - so that is why my interest in endometriosis, it can actually start due to those problems (and it took them 3 years to find I had chronicle problem with appendix) so I know how frustrating it is and all tests were coming in clear, apart from the last one. So you may need to go through a lot of tests just to make sure. Annoying, yes. But you need to be persistant with the doctor. As if you are not, it can cause more problems.

On the other hand if you are on the pill, it should deal with the endometriosis, if that is the problem, as it stops the normal hormonal circle during the month. Which is what causes the pains in endometriosis, as the womb tissues spread and are on other organs and normally react to the hormonal changes especially round the period. And hormonal treatment is the most often used to deal with endometriosis, apart from tidying up of affected areas during laparoscopy. Think both are used at the same time, really. But my knowledge is just really basic, ask your doctor.

Alicia D'amore [sign in to see picture]

occhiverdi wrote:

@Laviela and AD... I have booked the doctor again tomorrow (now i feel like im just nutso going back and forth). The past month I've been there for consistant UTI pain, back pain, bleeding during sex (although it varies in the amount), pain during sex, unknown reason for a swollen stomach, persistant thrush, more UTI infections....

Just keep pushing on with the tests until they figure it out hun - I know it's exhausting going back and forth but you need to know what's going on and it'll be worth it if they can treat (endo isn't curable but as TC said it can go away with pregnancy) and manage the symptoms.

I really feel for you, if you need to chat at all I can offer an understanding ear on the back pain, bleeding and pain during sex (I've only had penetrative sex once so far in 2011 due to my problems flairing up at the moment internally - just has been impossible).

I hope the doctor can help you figure it out :)

Adx

Alicia D'amore wrote:

occhiverdi wrote:

Just keep pushing on with the tests until they figure it out hun - I know it's exhausting going back and forth but you need to know what's going on and it'll be worth it if they can treat (endo isn't curable but as TC said it can go away with pregnancy) and manage the symptoms.

I really feel for you, if you need to chat at all I can offer an understanding ear on the back pain, bleeding and pain during sex (I've only had penetrative sex once so far in 2011 due to my problems flairing up at the moment internally - just has been impossible).

I hope the doctor can help you figure it out :)

Adx

Thanks AD.... Cancelled the doc today as Im just to tierd to move at the moment... (luckily I have a week off work!)... will reschedule when I feel more upto going (probably next week!)

Just back from routine STI check... they are putting me on a round of medication for PID! (fun)... waiting till the OH is away for 2 weeks as its a sex ban!! *gasp*

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.