• Erotic sculpture, opinions?

WandA [sign in to see picture]

sharry wrote:

I've uploaded a couple of pics of works in progress, they're not anywhere finished yet so please be kind. They're about 10 inches. For the ones I want to do mentioned above (fit in hand, erotic) I was thinking of making 5/6inches max and in more 'interesting' poses. These are based on dancers.

Anyway if you want to have a look here's the link and password info to download.

https://public.me.com/lightningad1

password to enter folder: sharry_art

Thanks again, hope you like.

Sharry

I don't find them particularity erotic but only because it's too realistic for me personally, as I've said I like the abstraction type pieces, look at them more as a 'foreplay' I guess.

But the work is excellent! The poses look natural, the shapes are correct. I certainly didn't expect them to be that good!

sharry [sign in to see picture]

WandA wrote:

sharry wrote:

I've uploaded a couple of pics of works in progress, they're not anywhere finished yet so please be kind. They're about 10 inches. For the ones I want to do mentioned above (fit in hand, erotic) I was thinking of making 5/6inches max and in more 'interesting' poses. These are based on dancers.

Anyway if you want to have a look here's the link and password info to download.

https://public.me.com/lightningad1

password to enter folder: sharry_art

Thanks again, hope you like.

Sharry

I don't find them particularity erotic but only because it's too realistic for me personally, as I've said I like the abstraction type pieces, look at them more as a 'foreplay' I guess.

But the work is excellent! The poses look natural, the shapes are correct. I certainly didn't expect them to be that good!

Hi WandA

Thanks for the kind words. The pics of the works in progress weren't meant to be erotic anyway, that I was unhappy with them gave me the idea to look into something more erotic/emotive. I wasn't and still am not happy with the pieces, I feel they're technically okay but they aren't particularly provocative or inspiring... a little dull and pedestrian. I've used them more as learning pieces. My experience lies in modelmaking so sculpture is something fairly new to me. They did start me thinking though about the nature of how I would represent sexuality in a figurative way. I adore abstract art but find it difficult to work loosely enough or 'distill' it enough for it to be sucessful, if you get my drift. Could be I'm that used to working so representationally that I find it difficult to move away from it. I feel most comfortable working representationally but I want to find a way of adding interest such as the 'hidden' erotic.

I too like the idea of having the erotic hidden. I generally don't find overt sexuality interesting. I love flowing forms and like artists such as Dale Chihuly, whos glass work is beautiful and has a writhing sensuality about it. If you get chance have a look at his Seaforms if you're not already familiar with him. Have a look at Louise Bourgeois as well, some of her work are very interesting, Cumul1 for instance.

I understand what you mean about the feel and heft of art works adding to their luxuriousness. Sculpture is inherently a tactile thing and if the feel is wrong then it can lessen the experience. I wish that it were cheaper and simpler to cast in metals. I tend to be an additive sculptor rather than subtractive which tends to lend itself to casting but I am attempting to teach myself wood and stone carviing so perhaps in the future who knows.

Thanks again for taking the time to look and comment, It's always really helpful to have another's perspective... sets me off on another train of thought.

sharry wrote:

Hi WandA

Thanks for the kind words. The pics of the works in progress weren't meant to be erotic anyway, that I was unhappy with them gave me the idea to look into something more erotic/emotive. I wasn't and still am not happy with the pieces, I feel they're technically okay but they aren't particularly provocative or inspiring... a little dull and pedestrian. I've used them more as learning pieces. My experience lies in modelmaking so sculpture is something fairly new to me. They did start me thinking though about the nature of how I would represent sexuality in a figurative way. I adore abstract art but find it difficult to work loosely enough or 'distill' it enough for it to be sucessful, if you get my drift. Could be I'm that used to working so representationally that I find it difficult to move away from it. I feel most comfortable working representationally but I want to find a way of adding interest such as the 'hidden' erotic.

I too like the idea of having the erotic hidden. I generally don't find overt sexuality interesting. I love flowing forms and like artists such as Dale Chihuly, whos glass work is beautiful and has a writhing sensuality about it. If you get chance have a look at his Seaforms if you're not already familiar with him. Have a look at Louise Bourgeois as well, some of her work are very interesting, Cumul1 for instance.

I understand what you mean about the feel and heft of art works adding to their luxuriousness. Sculpture is inherently a tactile thing and if the feel is wrong then it can lessen the experience. I wish that it were cheaper and simpler to cast in metals. I tend to be an additive sculptor rather than subtractive which tends to lend itself to casting but I am attempting to teach myself wood and stone carviing so perhaps in the future who knows.

Thanks again for taking the time to look and comment, It's always really helpful to have another's perspective... sets me off on another train of thought.

Phew! I really was impressed by them but was thinking "uh oh, they don't work for me in that way but they're really good! I don't want her to think they aren't appreciated in other ways!".

I'd be very happy with them on a technical level, I'm really impressed with how realistic they appear. I wouldn't quite word it as negatively as you did but they aren't ground breaking, and probably rightly so. It is to be expected if you go for something realistic. Unsurprisingly plenty of people have seen real naked ladies before! I think nudes look at their best when 1:1 or bigger but that isn't very viable I assume.

As I've said though they are great works and there is value in them even to just hone skills. Remember ideas are cheap and it's the technical skill that makes something truly outstanding, people like me can come up with ideas all day long but what makes you an artist is the fusion of inventive ideas and technique. I wouldn't play down the value of one component for another, ideas will come in time and I assume this applies once you stop thinking representationally.

If I remember I shall check out some of those artists. No worries on the comments. I'm enjoying this replying and hearing your side!

WandA wrote:

sharry wrote:

Hi WandA

Phew! I really was impressed by them but was thinking "uh oh, they don't work for me in that way but they're really good! I don't want her to think they aren't appreciated in other ways!".

I'd be very happy with them on a technical level, I'm really impressed with how realistic they appear. I wouldn't quite word it as negatively as you did but they aren't ground breaking, and probably rightly so. It is to be expected if you go for something realistic. Unsurprisingly plenty of people have seen real naked ladies before! I think nudes look at their best when 1:1 or bigger but that isn't very viable I assume.

As I've said though they are great works and there is value in them even to just hone skills. Remember ideas are cheap and it's the technical skill that makes something truly outstanding, people like me can come up with ideas all day long but what makes you an artist is the fusion of inventive ideas and technique. I wouldn't play down the value of one component for another, ideas will come in time and I assume this applies once you stop thinking representationally.

If I remember I shall check out some of those artists. No worries on the comments. I'm enjoying this replying and hearing your side!

When I get some free time I'll have to start doing a few sketches & get my ideas down on paper... I like to think about them first and clarify them before committing myself.

At the moment I've got an idea for a wooden piece, again fairly representational but using a mix of other materials such as copper 'ribbon'. Kneeling figure, arms behind back which are tied with the copper ribbon, although while I've been thinking about this I quite like the idea of carving just the curve of the back and the arms and adding the ribbon, so the focus is on the mix of materials and the area of interest... hmmm.

Mix of materials is a good idea. I like how the association of some materials may work with your idea. Copper is tough, hard and very 'bondagey' and some materials such may be much softer or evoke different thoughts and emotions. I really look forward to hearing more.

Mr Monster [sign in to see picture]

For what it's worth, model-making seems to rely on accuracy of form and structure, while more expressive art, particularly if you want it to feel erotic, needs to focus more on internalised emotion. Often it's the little things, the cracks in the calm façade, that tell us someone's turned on. If you can work that into your pieces, you'll be onto a winner!

Mr Monster wrote:

For what it's worth, model-making seems to rely on accuracy of form and structure, while more expressive art, particularly if you want it to feel erotic, needs to focus more on internalised emotion. Often it's the little things, the cracks in the calm façade, that tell us someone's turned on. If you can work that into your pieces, you'll be onto a winner!

I can only try...

Lovehoney - Hella Rouge wrote:

The Guild of Erotic Artists have a lot of sculpters as members, from what I understand it isn't so commercial. A lot of their work tends to be bodycasts then made into bronze or other-metal sculptures. They look incredible, but I don't think pieces generally sell unless they're personalised.

I agree that they're very beautiful. I was always taken by one artist who had cast a corseted waist into a silver metal wall-mounted piece. It was gorgeous.

I found the Guild when looking around the web. You're right, from what I can see they tend to be casters and although I like the results and that it's personalised it's not something I like doing... it's a real pain doing body casting. It's still interesting to see how they translate the cast into art work though.

Lovehoney - Alice [sign in to see picture]

I've got an erotic sculpture in my house, it's of a standing female nude from the shoulders to the hips. It's mostly about the sensous lines and the glaze that was used rather than being 'sexy'.

Your sculptures remind me of the sculptures of art deco ladies sharry.

Lovehoney - Alice wrote:

I've got an erotic sculpture in my house, it's of a standing female nude from the shoulders to the hips. It's mostly about the sensous lines and the glaze that was used rather than being 'sexy'.

Your sculptures remind me of the sculptures of art deco ladies sharry.

I like the sound of your sculpt, that's the kind of thing I'd like to do. I want the bodys lines to be the thing that gives the erotic overtones rather than overt sexuality.

I do like art deco sculpture, so I wouldn't be at all surprised that I'm not influenced by them

Lovehoney - Hella Rouge wrote:

There's a company that often exhibit at Erotica that incorporate erotic art with practical use (as well as making some rather fine statuettes). Can't remember their name, alas, but sure they'll be the list of exhibitors for previous events. May be worth a look :)

Thanks I'll do that.

SEXYGET 69 [sign in to see picture]

Very good Sharry, that's a fantastic skill. I'm impressed! :)
    SG x

SEXYGET 69 wrote:

Very good Sharry, that's a fantastic skill. I'm impressed! :)
    SG x

THANKS SG

Noon [sign in to see picture]

Superb work, cant wait to see more. :)

Well the OH has finally finished her first slightly saucy cross stitch, please have a look here and let us know what you think:

http://swinge.deviantart.com/#/d3bb7lg

Noon wrote:

Well the OH has finally finished her first slightly saucy cross stitch, please have a look here and let us know what you think:

http://swinge.deviantart.com/#/d3bb7lg

It's very good and makes me chuckle! Deviant cross stich wins!

It reminds me a bit of my display picture, there is just a central line of 'colour' but it really stands out.

Thanks WandA :)

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.