• Early Menopause.

Sweet-kitten [sign in to see picture]

A year ago I was diagnosed with early menopause ( at age 38 ). Now, I am not worried by the fact that I will never have children, nor do I miss having a monthly cycle but some of the side effects are horrible. The hot flushes are inconvenient to say the least and getting vaginal dryness at the wrong moment is not only embarrassing but can be very sore.

So, has anyone else had experience of this and how did you cope with the symptoms?

sexy little minx [sign in to see picture]

Hi Sweet-kitten. Although I've not experienced early menopause myself , it does run in my family and I expect I will be the same but knowing me I will be the one it skips and have it at the 'normal' age. 2 years ago when I was on the mini pill I started to get serious hot flushes and the Doc checked to see if it was early menopause but it was just the pill doing it to me so had to come off it. Hot flushes are the devils work! I'm dreading getting them again.

As for the vaginal dryness I suggest getting lube, (liquid silk is my fave).

Sorry couldn't be of more help. x

Yoko [sign in to see picture]

I'm not there yet but I've done a bit of reading into the subject and I'd really recommend you read "Natural Hormone Balance for Women" by Dr Uzzi Reiss. The only downside to the book is that he is US based so his prescription advice isn't really helpful for us over here, but it is an excellent book. It will give you a ton of info about the intricacies of balancing hormones, which hormone causes which symptoms and how to try to balance things out.

Are you being prescribed any form of hormone replacement? It may be that once you get an understanding of whats going on, you could convince your GP to treat your symptoms if that's the route you wanted to take.

Reiss is a big advocate of bioidentical hormones and there are a few docs in the UK who will prescribe them. They're can often be found in the "anti-aging medicine" category which isn't very helpful!

A few years ago I was prescribed medication which created a temporary menopause for some months and god almighty, if that's what menopause has in store for me I don't want it. It was horrible, and I sympathise with you. It feels like your body is holding you hostage.

I hope you can find ways to make life more bearable.

paradise found [sign in to see picture]

Sweet-kitten wrote:

A year ago I was diagnosed with early menopause ( at age 38 ). Now, I am not worried by the fact that I will never have children, nor do I miss having a monthly cycle but some of the side effects are horrible. The hot flushes are inconvenient to say the least and getting vaginal dryness at the wrong moment is not only embarrassing but can be very sore.

So, has anyone else had experience of this and how did you cope with the symptoms?

I didn't have early menopause but went through it at the "usual" age. I would ask your doctor for hrt. If he refuses (I don't know why they don't routinely prescribe it apart from cost but it's no more expensive than the contraceptive pill) you can buy progesterone cream online. Try and get hold of a book called "What your doctor will not tell you about menopause" You can probably get a second hand copy through Amazon

Sweet-kitten [sign in to see picture]

Thank you ladies. I will get the books mentioned and have a good read before belting my G.P. with them. LOL. Actually she has been pretty good and very supportive but I decided against Hrt and am trying to just live through it with as many hints and tips as I can glean.

It is very true that it feels as if my body has been taken captive. I suddenly have very little control at all. I expected my libido to dry up and disappear but no, if anything it has peaked even further. The hot flushes are horrendous. I'll be sitting with a client and suddenly I'll go red and sweat like a horse! Not good in my kind of work.

I am still looking for a good lube. I have tried several and will give liquid silk a try next. It can be very off putting when you suddenly go completely dry in the middle of things.

Thanks again. All hints and tips gratefully received.

paradise found [sign in to see picture]

I decided against hrt too, after a year I gave up and changed my mind! Start doing your kegel exercises if you haven't already. The lack of oestrogen causes the muscles to weaken and result in bladder leakage - not pleasant at any age

Alicia D'amore [sign in to see picture]

Sweet-kitten wrote:

I am still looking for a good lube. I have tried several and will give liquid silk a try next. It can be very off putting when you suddenly go completely dry in the middle of things.

Thanks again. All hints and tips gratefully received.

I'm permanently dry so I can sympathise. Search vaginimus - I've written loads of tips on dealing with dryness/soreness (I will repeat it in here at some point but too tired right now ) I hope some of it helps in the meantime!

Can't help with the other things I'm afraid but seems like you're getting good tips from the others :)

Adx

WandA [sign in to see picture]

Is there not a medical professional who can help with this?

hustla [sign in to see picture]

sexy little minx wrote:

Hi Sweet-kitten. Although I've not experienced early menopause myself , it does run in my family and I expect I will be the same but knowing me I will be the one it skips and have it at the 'normal' age. 2 years ago when I was on the mini pill I started to get serious hot flushes and the Doc checked to see if it was early menopause but it was just the pill doing it to me so had to come off it. Hot flushes are the devils work! I'm dreading getting them again.

As for the vaginal dryness I suggest getting lube, (liquid silk is my fave).

Sorry couldn't be of more help. x

what about KY lube

Bakewell [sign in to see picture]

hustla wrote:

what about KY lube

I reckon letting the ladies discuss the best type of lube for them during the menopause, they might have a better idea ;)

TheToyMan [sign in to see picture]

My missus went through the Menopause in her early fourties, she can't have hrt due to other problems she has.

The thing she's found that helps with the hot flushes & the night sweats is Evening Primrose Oil, she takes 1000Mg a day & the flushes & sweats stopped totally after a couple of weeks of taking the oil capsules.

We also tried Liquid silk lube but she found it caused a burning sensation inside so we switched to KY which hasn't so far.

Siren40 [sign in to see picture]

I know this is an old thread, but just wondered if there are any ladies around the forums going through this?

About a year ago my periods went haywire, got closer and closer together, and then stopped for 5 months. They came back and were roughly every month, but have now stopped again. I very occasionally get a hot flush, but no other signs! Hormone levels came back normal towards the end of last year. So because of that they couldnt confirm menopause. I just wondered what other ladies experience of menopause has been?

Sxleksaker [sign in to see picture]

Hi Siren, there is something called premature ovarial insufficience which is like an early menopause. It is however reversible in some cases and in some cases you can get better and then the symptoms return again. It might be something like that you have been experiencing.

kittencub [sign in to see picture]

My periods started skipping then I bled for two months now have tablets to keep me to five days, evening primrose I take 1500, per day. No hormonal treatment it gives me sore boobs which are hell. Down days horrific when I have them, have made a vow never to be nasty to hubby as the cow who dragged me up was to me. Hugs.

Siren40 [sign in to see picture]

Think im going to go back to the docs. I have heard of the premature ovarian thing, and I believe it can go hand in hand with underactive thyroid which I've had for ages now. If I am going through menopause im keen not to go through synthetic hormone. Unless I need to. Thankfully my moods are un altered

lmh95 [sign in to see picture]

Good luck at the GP siren40. Hope they can get things sorted out or make them more managable for you :)

Jim Glasgow [sign in to see picture]

Siren40 wrote:

Think im going to go back to the docs. I have heard of the premature ovarian thing, and I believe it can go hand in hand with underactive thyroid which I've had for ages now. If I am going through menopause im keen not to go through synthetic hormone. Unless I need to. Thankfully my moods are un altered

Jeez the underactive thyroid, my wife has had that for years, on medication, but her sex drive is dead now....so frustrating.

Modo [sign in to see picture]

Hi I am Mrs Modo. I am nearly out the other side of the menopaue. I have to say it was the most horrible time of my life. I had panic attacks which made the hot flushes worse which caused palpitations and then increased my blood pressure. I had to go on beta blockers. The dryness was awful and it actually made me bleed at times which made me nervous having sex. this all led to me going off sex which was hard to deal with by Mr Modo. I am still nervous and have lost my desire but am trying very hard to get this back by losing the excess weight around my middle and wearing sexy underwear.

I didn't want to take HRT due to the possible effects and took evening primrose oil and plenty of seeds and oily fish. As I had enough to worry about I didn't want to worry about HRT too.

I can say though that I am actually beginning to feel better and am beginning to get a new found confidence. Just need to get the sexy confidence back now.

Lil_Red_Kinkyboots [sign in to see picture]

I have heard good things about edamame beans.
    I'm considering eating them as they are so good for you in countless ways. I wouldn't consider having hrt due to gynaecological cancer in my family.
    I was going to leave a link about these beans but I didn't want to rule break. Google them if you are interested as they do sound promising 😊
    I am peri menopausal at the moment and still as regular as clock work but I've noticed a lot of changes 😔 Great fun 😐

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.