• Internet Dating

Booties [sign in to see picture]

Paddy89 wrote:

After 3 months of making this thread I just signed up to match and am now bricking it. Mostly because there are no decent pictures of me looking nice (I prefer to fuck about) and I have nothing interesting to say about myself. Two vital setbacks in this plan

ah well, we'll see what happens!

A lot of women will like that. It's mysterious, and also means you're good fun, and maybe a little shy (which can be cute)!

I also met my OH online, though through a forum and not a dating site. Same thing though. I have met some solid c***s on the internet, and the most incredible people ever to enter my life.

Good luck =D x

Alicia D'amore [sign in to see picture]

chipNroll wrote:

Doug wrote:

i know fb and webcams aren't foolproof but cos i am of "the younger generation" where everyone my age has fb its almost a given that if they are a real person then they will have fb.

I don't.

WandA doesn't either.

Adx

chipNroll wrote:

Doug wrote:

i know fb and webcams aren't foolproof but cos i am of "the younger generation" where everyone my age has fb its almost a given that if they are a real person then they will have fb.

I don't.

WandA doesn't either.

Adx

Lady Ness [sign in to see picture]

Alicia D'amore wrote:

chipNroll wrote:

Doug wrote:

I don't.

WandA doesn't either.

Adx

I use to have facebook when it first started, but I had spend 8months away from all my friends and family at the time and it seemed the best way to get back in touch.

I don't hae facebook now though.

Doug [sign in to see picture]

WandA wrote:

chipNroll wrote:

Doug wrote:

I don't.

I too am not Spartacus! I've been thinking about it recently... but I like not being on it too much I think. And FB are a bunch of SoBs.

quite possibly but 500 million users aint to be sniffed at and a expanding faster than the overall internet users are expanding. So its a very powerful and useful thing

chipNroll [sign in to see picture]

Doug wrote:

WandA wrote:

chipNroll wrote:

Doug wrote:

I don't.

I too am not Spartacus! I've been thinking about it recently... but I like not being on it too much I think. And FB are a bunch of SoBs.

quite possibly but 500 million users aint to be sniffed at and a expanding faster than the overall internet users are expanding. So its a very powerful and useful thing

Are you that Zuckerburg guy.... Come here to convert the remaining 3 non-facebookers of the world. o_O

chipNroll wrote:

Doug wrote:

WandA wrote:

chipNroll wrote:

Doug wrote:

I don't.

Are you that Zuckerburg guy.... Come here to convert the remaining 3 non-facebookers of the world. o_O

sadly no. I am just someone who understands the power that companies with something to sell can get from fb. I mean lets say out of 500 million your target audiance is 10% thats 50million, and 5% of that klick on your ad thats 2.5 million, and 0.1% of those that actualy click on your ad use the product or servise thats 2500 people. Without having find any information for yourself, just target you audiance.

failing that you could always organise a protest or overthow a dictator

WandA [sign in to see picture]

chipNroll wrote:

Doug wrote:

Haha. Shall the 3 of us create a 'Social networks are shit' social network? Perhaps that needs some polishing...

It does seem very useful at times (and is indeed powerful [the info they have on the average Joe is scary]), but the fact you can invest so much effort into it yet it has unwritten policies makes me think 'Fuck You'. Imagine signing up to insurance or a contract with unwritten clauses. K-nuts, the lot of 'em.

Paddy89 [sign in to see picture]

Booties wrote:

Paddy89 wrote:

After 3 months of making this thread I just signed up to match and am now bricking it. Mostly because there are no decent pictures of me looking nice (I prefer to fuck about) and I have nothing interesting to say about myself. Two vital setbacks in this plan

ah well, we'll see what happens!

A lot of women will like that. It's mysterious, and also means you're good fun, and maybe a little shy (which can be cute)!

I also met my OH online, though through a forum and not a dating site. Same thing though. I have met some solid c***s on the internet, and the most incredible people ever to enter my life.

Good luck =D x

Thanks! I've put a reasonable picture up and filled out what I could. Some stuff I don't like filling out, such as stuff about kids (I want them someday, but definately not thinking about them yet or in the context a near-future relationship). But we'll see what happens.

I've had my first profile view from a 49 year old Panamanian widow. I'm sure she's a lovely lady, but I don't think we'd be suited to each other made me chuckle though!

I just signed up to plenty of fish as weel - I'm too cheap to buy a proper profile on match.com

I do have a serious question for you guys though. The profiles on both sites ask for your religion. I'm Catholic myself and am certainly not ashamed or embarrased about telling people that. However I'm not at all preachy and consider my faith a very personal matter, and whatever the beliefs are of a partner don't really matter to me (respect mine and I'll respect yours, even if we completely disagree in practise!).

I just want to know what you guys think of stating religion on a profile like this. Having it on there seems a bit 'in your face' to me. What do you guys think? Would this put you off? Be honest; I won't be offended!

WandA [sign in to see picture]

Paddy89 wrote:

I just signed up to plenty of fish as weel - I'm too cheap to buy a proper profile on match.com

I do have a serious question for you guys though. The profiles on both sites ask for your religion. I'm Catholic myself and am certainly not ashamed or embarrased about telling people that. However I'm not at all preachy and consider my faith a very personal matter, and whatever the beliefs are of a partner don't really matter to me (respect mine and I'll respect yours, even if we completely disagree in practise!).

I just want to know what you guys think of stating religion on a profile like this. Having it on there seems a bit 'in your face' to me. What do you guys think? Would this put you off? Be honest; I won't be offended!

Personally, I'd leave it off if it's not an important factor in your decision making.

I wouldn't discount someone purely because they had it listed but some things aren't strictly relevant and it seems a bit odd to put it on if it's not important (except in that personal sense). It's more likely to put someone off (perhaps assuming you are a bit preachy) than benefit you I imagine.

Dirty Red Angel [sign in to see picture]

Paddy89 wrote:

Hey,

I'd probably leave it off - not because I would be ashamed or anything but because I think it's something you can discuss with someone when you get to know them; like you say its a personal thing.

That said, it wouldn't bother me if someone put theirs on their profile, it'd just be some extra information I had!

Yeah, I agree with boh of you tbh. Irritatingly it looks like plentyoffish doesnt let you select an undiscosed option so it looks like I'll just have to leave it ah well, i'm sure i'm just overthinking things.

Now to sack up and talk to people

occhiverdi [sign in to see picture]

Paddy89 wrote:

Yeah, I agree with boh of you tbh. Irritatingly it looks like plentyoffish doesnt let you select an undiscosed option so it looks like I'll just have to leave it ah well, i'm sure i'm just overthinking things.

I would leave it off although saying that, my friend met a guy offline and he was a strict christian.... that hit the fan rather quickly!!

good luck!!! :)

occhiverdi wrote:

Paddy89 wrote:

I would leave it off although saying that, my friend met a guy offline and he was a strict christian.... that hit the fan rather quickly!!

I would feel cheated if someone was *really* devout and didn't mention it personally like but if it only has importance in a personal sense then I don't see why you need to announce it! As WandA says, it's more potential of being detrimental.

Adx

Alicia D'amore wrote:

occhiverdi wrote:

Paddy89 wrote:

I would feel cheated if someone was *really* devout and didn't mention it personally like but if it only has importance in a personal sense then I don't see why you need to announce it! As WandA says, it's more potential of being detrimental.

Adx

I agree. As I sa I'm not preachy at all and only talk about it if someone directly asks or conversation gets philosophical. Sadly the only option I really have on the site is to put 'non-religious', which would be an outright lie

Another question; what would you say would be a reasonable distance to look for people, considering I'm a student with no car? I've also decided to look for people close to home rather than uni, since I'm home in a month and will be there for about 5 months before my third year.

And another question... what would you say to someone as an introduction in a message?

Christ, I'm hopeless at this! If someone would like to be paid to date women for me I'd be tempted ... I jest

MissTerryCleavage [sign in to see picture]

Hiya Paddy, like you I felt totally stupid when I first started internet dating and 18months down the line, my viewpoint and modus operandi has changed considerably and am sure yours will too.....

Reasonable distance is down purely to you, it's no good saying 20miles for example if there's no way you can do that without 3 buses and a train, so be honest, and only search or chat to people you have a realistic access to, that is if you intend to actually meet them, you will find plenty on there that have no wish to ever meet, and just wanna chat, or cyber.....

As for the first message bit, I hate sending them so rarely do, and I dont mean that in an arrogant way, I just mean that as I'm so useless at that icebreaker thing I rarely bother, unless the person ticks all my exacting criteria.... Unlikely really, haha!

On the occasions when I have done it, I just tend to pick something from their profile and write a few lines about it. Again my approach to this has changed since I started, but I dont want to let my cynicism affect your experience.

One thing I will say, is trust your instinct, if alarms are ringing in your head over someone then listen to them, they're not usually wrong.

I guess if you know what you're wanting to achieve that's always good, that way you can be honest with the people you chat to, something I really value in a person but alas a rare quality.... Oops was that a spot of cynicism ;-)

Good luck with it, and enjoy :-)

occhiverdi [sign in to see picture]

Alicia D'amore wrote:

occhiverdi wrote:

Paddy89 wrote:

Adx

Ad, he didn't mention it to her until they were er.. back at her place after a drunken second date!... I told her most devout christians tend to tell you asap.

occhiverdi wrote:

Ad, he didn't mention it to her until they were er.. back at her place after a drunken second date!... I told her most devout christians tend to tell you asap.

For me that would seriously pee me off. Just like some people won't contemplate dating someone who never wants kids (because it puts them at risk of falling for/wasting time with a person who will never have the same view as them on something important) I also would never date someone who was very devout. I've nothing wrong with people choosing whichever religion they want to follow but if they were the type to want to force it on me/any future kids then it'd be a big waste of time as far as I'm concerned and I consider it dishonest to keep it from potential partners. If it's as "minor" (in terms of impact on other around you) as is your love for a particular type of music then it's no big deal at all but certain things have to be disclosed in my opinion.

Adx

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.