• Internet Dating

Doug [sign in to see picture]

well this seemes to be the right place to post this: yesterday met up with someone i met on the net and have to say that it went much better than i expected defo be meeting up again

well i made sure that i saw her on webcam first, also to show that i was who i said i am, and that i think is a good way, also if you have their email cheak to see if they have a "real" fb page

menyanthe [sign in to see picture]

About fb - I have friends who don't have facebook and my email is hidden there. So that's not really a solution.

About internet dating - I would never use a webcam - don't like them - usually most of them (especially cheap ones) are with really bad resolution that could leave you with wrong impression for the other person. I would prefer seeing some pics - the more the better! Although, that said - I usually don't have many pictures of myself.

About my experience with internet "dating" - it starts as early as 2002 (when I was only 16). And ends with a wedding in 2008 and a baby in May 2011, lol. So my advice: be careful, cos you never know what's coming, lol. :) And then - we met through chat, and cos I am crazy and just wanted to go out with someone but all my friends were away, I just didn't care who it was - wasn't looking for anything and was going to go out with the Devil, himself, if it had to! But I guess faith was watching and decided to make a joke (and I was just going to end an 18-month relationship and wanted some single life for a change, lol - I guess faith had other plans).

So we ended up sending a photo to each other (didn't like him in the photo!) and 2 hours later we met! Not knowing anything for each other!

menyanthe wrote:

About fb - I have friends who don't have facebook and my email is hidden there. So that's not really a solution.

About internet dating - I would never use a webcam - don't like them - usually most of them (especially cheap ones) are with really bad resolution that could leave you with wrong impression for the other person. I would prefer seeing some pics - the more the better! Although, that said - I usually don't have many pictures of myself.

About my experience with internet "dating" - it starts as early as 2002 (when I was only 16). And ends with a wedding in 2008 and a baby in May 2011, lol. So my advice: be careful, cos you never know what's coming, lol. :) And then - we met through chat, and cos I am crazy and just wanted to go out with someone but all my friends were away, I just didn't care who it was - wasn't looking for anything and was going to go out with the Devil, himself, if it had to! But I guess faith was watching and decided to make a joke (and I was just going to end an 18-month relationship and wanted some single life for a change, lol - I guess faith had other plans).

So we ended up sending a photo to each other (didn't like him in the photo!) and 2 hours later we met! Not knowing anything for each other!

i know fb and webcams aren't foolproof but cos i am of "the younger generation" where everyone my age has fb its almost a given that if they are a real person then they will have fb. Yeah webcams might not be great but they are good enought to show that its not some 40 year old perv, so i think its better than nothing

menyanthe [sign in to see picture]

Lol, am I that old already?? I am only 25!

well its cos when fb came out i was still at school and it was a very easy way to chat with friends and organise parties etc so everyone has it

LittleMiss1981UK [sign in to see picture]

I've dated loads of guys, lots of them I met in random places or on the internet.

I met my OH on Plenty Of Fish but the fact it was an internet dating sites bares no importance, it's how we make each other feel.

When it comes to dating, you should keep you mind open at all times and all places as you never know who will come along

BashfulBabe [sign in to see picture]

To be honest, you can learn a lot more about someone from an hour IMing than you can chatting to someone at a bar with half a bottle of spirits fogging your mind, so I don't really understand where the stigma comes from. Other than the visual aspect, which we're meant to believe is irrelevant in a 'real' relationship anyway, and can even be communicated with no more chance for subterfuge than only seeing someone when they've spent five hours prepping for a night out (pervy old men named CuteChick17 aside).

Granted, I met my OH face to face before starting chatting on-line and deciding to meet on a date, but I did learn so much more about him and about the chances that we could make it work from the conversations on FB or Skype than the few hours being vaguely near each other in a bar with music and alcohol and other people.

I did have the purely on-line one where our meets kept getting thwarted by volcanos and strikes and Vegas and such random craziness, where it turned out he was hiding his attempts to get in the pants of another chick, but that's hardly confined to the realms of on-line: plenty of folk in 'real life' relationships cheat or lie or sneak about and don't get caught immediately, so I'd blame that on the guy being a muppet and me being too willing to blame suspicions on my paranoia, not the internet.

ronnie-baby [sign in to see picture]

I met my OH online on a dating website, and yes they do work! We are living together and engaged and have been together for 4 happy years so far, and hopefuly many more to come! (no pun intended!lol).

So they can work, it just depends on what you are looking for.

rb

x x

MissTerryCleavage [sign in to see picture]

Another member of the internet dating club here, mixed experiences too, but that's just like life.... I agree the webcam thing is a good way to "see" if the person floats your boat etc, and have chatted to a fair few that way.

I go in phases with it, spend a few weeks out there and dating, then nothing for ages then back. Am currently in an off phase, but mainly due to a guy who I met off the internet potentially coming back into my life in a less casual status than we used to have.

It's a great way to learn about yourself, learn about different ways of interacting with people, and just generally have some fun. Always trust your instincts tho, they're rarely wrong... the odd occasions where I ignored em, it bit me on the arse so now the first time those alarm bells ring, I listen and act...

Good luck Doug, have fun with it, hope the 2nd date goes well x

thanks MTC :)

sweetlove666 [sign in to see picture]

not had much luck with internet dating to be honest!

ive met 3 partners through it and none of them have been long term relationships at all.

I'm brutally honest on those things, and I do message people with personalised questions based on their profiles. I'm not that fussy and will chat with most people who i like the look of and don't mail me with the generic mass message like "heyy sexxii" or "how r u?"

might as well give up and buy 10 cats now.

Mr Monster [sign in to see picture]

violeteyes wrote:

dont want to go and meet a lovely woman, only to find its an old guy with a machete

I read this as "old guy with a moustache"...Was just about to defend the facial hair when I realised.

Yeah, I suppose a machete isn't really on a girl's top ten list, is it? Unless you're seriously kinky...

YesChef [sign in to see picture]

Mr Monster wrote:

violeteyes wrote:

dont want to go and meet a lovely woman, only to find its an old guy with a machete

I read this as "old guy with a moustache"...Was just about to defend the facial hair when I realised.

Yeah, I suppose a machete isn't really on a girl's top ten list, is it? Unless you're seriously kinky...

Or you're the trusting sort who needs some work doing in the garden...

ace angel [sign in to see picture]

Tupperwareheart wrote:

I met my OH online and i'm 20 (nearly 21 too, eek!) - at first i did feel a bit weird about signing up for something like that but what the hell, it works!

You will find a few people that you maybe don't get along with, but that's much the same as if you were to go out to meet people. I'd say give it a go. You have nothing to lose, even if you just have a giggle and realise its not for you.. but you might just find someone super lovely

TWH x

Right, think I may have to respond to people individualy or my brain might explode. Anywho...

That's interesting - good to know people my age are using this! And yeh, I'm actually 21 on Monday. Fuckin terrifying! What site did you sign up to, out of interest? Here's to findin someone 'super lovely'

i met my OH on internet dating aswell and as u can see im really happy been together nearly a year i met him on plenty of fish thats a good one if u on facebook there are some on there like zoosk. i felt embarassed at first about internet dating but glad i did it just be safe at the same time :0)

Satoshi [sign in to see picture]

In my opinion the internet is a great tool for meeting people, after a previous bad experience i then met the love of my life Kasumi on the internet even though neither of us were looking and we will have been together for 7 years this year. Meeting people online is just like "real life", you will meet nice people and some not so nice, keep your head screwed on and you'll be fine.

I also wouldn't worry about it appearing "sad", it is 2011 and perceptions have changed an awful lot in the last few years. More importantly though, do you really care? You will only waste your life away if you spend it worrying about what others will think. Go for it, it is the only way you will find out if it works for you

crag630 [sign in to see picture]

I like so many here met my oh on the web we met up at a chip shop lol since then its been fun.

Its probably worth noting though as has been mentioned there are some sick people out there so be careful

Paddy89 [sign in to see picture]

After 3 months of making this thread I just signed up to match and am now bricking it. Mostly because there are no decent pictures of me looking nice (I prefer to fuck about) and I have nothing interesting to say about myself. Two vital setbacks in this plan

ah well, we'll see what happens!

chipNroll [sign in to see picture]

Doug wrote:

i know fb and webcams aren't foolproof but cos i am of "the younger generation" where everyone my age has fb its almost a given that if they are a real person then they will have fb.

I don't.

WandA [sign in to see picture]

chipNroll wrote:

Doug wrote:

i know fb and webcams aren't foolproof but cos i am of "the younger generation" where everyone my age has fb its almost a given that if they are a real person then they will have fb.

I don't.

I too am not Spartacus! I've been thinking about it recently... but I like not being on it too much I think. And FB are a bunch of SoBs.

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.