• Sex-related TV Programmes

Lady Ness [sign in to see picture]

I am very angry at the Sex Toy Stories... not happy at all.

However, I watched Happy Families on itv beforehand, and the lady running the smaller sex toy company was inspiring, with how much she does.

Congratz LH on getting the ad inbetween the AS programme - I sadly missed it as I was grabbing a cuppa, but I believe I've seen it before =)

mrs average [sign in to see picture]

Well I have to say very unimpressed with the documentary and thought it showed Ann Summers in a bad light. The volunteer women came across as being used and taken advantage of by the company. Couldn't help feeling they were being ripped off.
    Also we didn't get to hear what the toy tester reiews were, if the product sold well or if the designer volunteers did evertually get any recognition.

kittencub [sign in to see picture]

Seen the love honey add, not sure what to say, felt for .the lady who coudnt. Orgasm, liked the older lady best.

Hazy [sign in to see picture]

I watched the tv program and think that it lacked a lot of sustainance.

Usually market resaerch companies pay a small incentive fee for focus groups and the like and its abit disappointing that these women are essentially working for free.

It looks like they used a very odd design process and thm women were more to spark ideas than actually design a product like they were being told. The women appear to have been taken advantage of so that AS can make a profit and there should have been some sort of reward.

At least the people seemed genuine enough.

Lovehoney - Alice [sign in to see picture]

Hazy wrote:

It looks like they used a very odd design process and thm women were more to spark ideas than actually design a product like they were being told.

I think this was the main problem with the concept - they selected the women first to get interesting characters and then expected them to come up with the designs.

We know from experience with the Design a Sex Toy Competition that even when you have HUNDREDS or even THOUSANDS of ideas brought to the drawing board, there will only be 1 or 2 that are unique and viable. Seriouly - nearly everything that can be done with a sex toy has been done.

And even then when you have the brilliant idea, it takes years to bring the product to market - I think the original Sqweel took nearly 3 years, and we're still working on a couple of the more recent winners to get the protoypes working, pleasurable and possible!

I can't begin to imagine the pressure those 8 women were under and I suspect this is why a lot of the O Team designs were retro-fitted to an O Team member, rather than actually coming from designs by the women.

Hazy [sign in to see picture]

Lovehoney - Alice wrote:

Hazy wrote:

It looks like they used a very odd design process and thm women were more to spark ideas than actually design a product like they were being told.

I think this was the main problem with the concept - they selected the women first to get interesting characters and then expected them to come up with the designs.

I think you've hit the nail on the head with that one. It was about making "good" TV but it came across as whimsical nonsense rather than a show about design and innovation.

I know from all of my design projects at uni that you go through dozens of itterations of a design and numerous design reviews before anything gets off the ground. They would have been better off focusing on their real design teams and followed them through the processes involved in creating a new product and done a chunk of the program on the market research consultaions and focus groups and the people involved. There were people in the group who knew nothing of the industry, meaning they had little to draw precedent from except the items they were provided with. Usually market research panels filter their participants so that they an get the best quality reviews/opinions etc.

It did look as if they were slapping a person's name to an already developed product much like high street stored do with "celebrity" ranges of products, as there was hardly anythng that bore resemblance to the original concept. I think that the women involvedwere put in a very compromising position.

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.