• Things that confuse me...

Muz333 [sign in to see picture]

Doug wrote:

well in my mind, the best fantasy writer is Terry Pratchet

...for real? Read some Steven Erickson if you want full on fantasy. He's without a doubt the most in depth fantasy writer I've ever had the joy of reading. A master at huge climaxs as well..in fact, off to read some more of Toll of the Hounds as I'm near the end of that book and it's extremely intense. he's also the only writer to get me close to tears before with some of the sad scenes. I'll never forget the character Beak that featured in just the one book for the rest of my life.

Doug [sign in to see picture]

Muz333 wrote:

Doug wrote:

well in my mind, the best fantasy writer is Terry Pratchet

...for real? Read some Steven Erickson if you want full on fantasy. He's without a doubt the most in depth fantasy writer I've ever had the joy of reading. A master at huge climaxs as well..in fact, off to read some more of Toll of the Hounds as I'm near the end of that book and it's extremely intense. he's also the only writer to get me close to tears before with some of the sad scenes. I'll never forget the character Beak that featured in just the one book for the rest of my life.

well there might be better authers at creating a fantasy world, and more dramatic story lines, but if you replace best with funnest, then he is top

Muz333 [sign in to see picture]

Doug wrote:

well there might be better authers at creating a fantasy world, and more dramatic story lines, but if you replace best with funnest, then he is top

Ah, we'll have to agree to disagree. I like my fantasies dark and gritty with tragedy and triumph. Plus I like to read about god warring and powerful mystical weapons and races.

CurlyCoupleWife [sign in to see picture]

tee hee!

This thread is beginning to read like "The books on our shelves" by CrlyCpl and CurlyCoupleWife

Terry Brooks anyone?

SEXYGET 69 [sign in to see picture]

CurlyCoupleWife wrote:

SEXYGET 69 wrote:

Why does jelly set quicker when made with hot water rather than cold?

It's because hot water cools quicker than cold water - you'll also find that hot water forms ice quicker. It's because hot water is less dense than cold water and therefore has less mass so cools faster.

I really want a geek icon...

Teachers pet!

SG x

Kitty_McPlunder [sign in to see picture]

I know this is a really late reply (the forums are really fast moving lately!) - but thanks for telling me about the nectar card!! - I will ask about money off next time i'm at the till.

wenchiepie [sign in to see picture]

for the egg thing i suggest investing in chickens! we have 3 called miranda, ruffles and nugget (i named that one hehe) and we should get enough eggs to last us just from them!

heres what i find confusing....everything!

Ecksvie [sign in to see picture]

headsouth wrote:

Why has no one worked out that when building busy venues, they should put it double the number of womens toilets? New or old buildings, always the same issue.

Took the OH to see Wicked yesterday, and there was a queue of about 30 women and girls for the loo's meanwhile I strolled into the totally empty gents... Not the best example seeing it was a musical and so rammed full of oestrogen, (including 2 complete Brownie groups) but still... I'm sure women still faff around in the loos after such a queue though...

Agree with you! Sometimes I think they need two sets of women's loos - one for women who want to get in, do their business and get out, and another for women who want to take ages and faff around with their makeup in the mirror and everything!

BashfulBabe [sign in to see picture]

Wickedgirl wrote:

headsouth wrote:

Why has no one worked out that when building busy venues, they should put it double the number of womens toilets? New or old buildings, always the same issue.

Took the OH to see Wicked yesterday, and there was a queue of about 30 women and girls for the loo's meanwhile I strolled into the totally empty gents... Not the best example seeing it was a musical and so rammed full of oestrogen, (including 2 complete Brownie groups) but still... I'm sure women still faff around in the loos after such a queue though...

When desperate enough I have see groups of ever so slightly smashed brit holidaymakers simply commandeer the gents

I'm terrible for that. Still remember one place in Dublin (was a rock bar, so easier to get away with) where they refurbished the place and put the women's toilets downstairs. Of course we just declared that the ground-level toilets were now unisex - silly things had only put a paper-and-sellotape sign up - and that was that. By the end of the night the manager had given up trying to correct people and just let it slide until he could get the real signs put up. :)

WandA [sign in to see picture]

Maybe people should stop buying refreshments in protest!

telemachus [sign in to see picture]

I can't believe I missed the Tory bashing! It's my favourite thing....

sweetlove666 [sign in to see picture]

WandA wrote:

I perhaps shouldn't like this idea but I do, Bentham's idea that only the literate should be allowed to vote... Perhaps not that strong but I would prefer some form of quiz on the ballot paper! "Please match these faces to the party using the images provided" or "What party does your current MP represent!, just something that says "I know what democracy actually is!". Alas, as much as I love the idea my liberal values don't actually allow me to actually believe it should be implemented.

Bentham was a bit weird anyway, he had himself stuffed and put into a wardrobe in the university college london....they still wheel hom out for dinner paties http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Bentham#Auto-icon

sweetlove666 wrote:

WandA wrote:

I perhaps shouldn't like this idea but I do, Bentham's idea that only the literate should be allowed to vote... Perhaps not that strong but I would prefer some form of quiz on the ballot paper! "Please match these faces to the party using the images provided" or "What party does your current MP represent!, just something that says "I know what democracy actually is!". Alas, as much as I love the idea my liberal values don't actually allow me to actually believe it should be implemented.

Bentham was a bit weird anyway, he had himself stuffed and put into a wardrobe in the university college london....they still wheel hom out for dinner paties http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Bentham#Auto-icon

It was a perfectly rational thing to do given he was the founder of Utilitarianism.

Given the superstitious nature of the time, removing the fear and taboo around death and of not getting a Christian burial he made his own little point that being 'used' after death wasn't so bad. He done this to increase the overall utility of the world, less superstition and fear of death = more rational scientific endeavour which in turn equals more utility!

I find it quite admirable! The people wheeling him out as a party piece, a bit less so.

Why people still bother with screensavers...

Doug [sign in to see picture]

WandA wrote:

Why people still bother with screensavers...

when leaving my computer, without wanting anyone to see whats on the screen but not being as dumb as to turn the screen off (perfect way to ensure that someone will have a look)

sweetlove666 [sign in to see picture]

WandA wrote:

sweetlove666 wrote:

WandA wrote:

It was a perfectly rational thing to do given he was the founder of Utilitarianism.

Given the superstitious nature of the time, removing the fear and taboo around death and of not getting a Christian burial he made his own little point that being 'used' after death wasn't so bad. He done this to increase the overall utility of the world, less superstition and fear of death = more rational scientific endeavour which in turn equals more utility!

I find it quite admirable! The people wheeling him out as a party piece, a bit less so.

dummies like that scare the living daylights out of me anyway. especially in museums where theyre acting out everyday life ( like jorvik http://www.jorvik-viking-centre.co.uk/about-jorvik/16-/ ) and to know it was once human is even creepier

Not in to wax work places then SL?

Plastic people can look a little creepy...

merry cherry [sign in to see picture]

Does the Queen get junk mail? x MC x

SnoWMan [sign in to see picture]

The thing that confuses me is What do newsagents do with last months issues of magazines that they haven't sold...?

Why my dog things the noise of the hoover is a challenge and attacks it front on...

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.