• Things that confuse me...

bumble [sign in to see picture]

Why do the numbers on phones go down while the numbers on calculators go up?

xxxxchelzsxxxx [sign in to see picture]

Why someone is in our parking space??? please vacate

WandA [sign in to see picture]

Why I always forget how tasty porridge is!

CurlyCoupleWife [sign in to see picture]

WandA wrote:

Us too - we had porridge this morning & I thought "Why don't we have it more often?"

Alicia D'amore [sign in to see picture]

CurlyCoupleWife wrote:

WandA wrote:

Us too - we had porridge this morning & I thought "Why don't we have it more often?"

Us too - it was lovely! Dead filling too, perfect in the winter and great for healthy eating....must go on the "regular meal" list!

Adx

Alicia D'amore wrote:

CurlyCoupleWife wrote:

WandA wrote:

Us too - it was lovely! Dead filling too, perfect in the winter and great for healthy eating....must go on the "regular meal" list!

Adx

Was I included in that 'us' or have you been porridge cheating on me!

Seduced [sign in to see picture]

CurlyCoupleWife wrote:

Seduced wrote:

What confuses me....

What came first, Chicken or the egg??? ( i know, i know lol.... )

Egg. Dinosaurs laid eggs, they were around long before chickens. Also stands to reason that the first chicken was a mutant version of another animal that hatched from an egg.

So before the dinosaurs there were just eggs?

Seduced wrote:

CurlyCoupleWife wrote:

Seduced wrote:

What confuses me....

What came first, Chicken or the egg??? ( i know, i know lol.... )

Egg. Dinosaurs laid eggs, they were around long before chickens. Also stands to reason that the first chicken was a mutant version of another animal that hatched from an egg.

So before the dinosaurs there were just eggs?

I thought the question was "what came first, chicken or egg?" not "what came first, living animal or egg"

CCW x

Obviously egg. The chicken would require the maturation of the chick to chicken yet the egg would still be of the same form before it hatched so it would be the same yet also come before hand.

If you want me real philosophical view then language is just a convenient human construct, and 'egg' and 'chicken' are just convenient labels we give to certain collections of atoms that we perceive to have similar characteristics, the reason we have paradoxes such as these is because egg/chicken are just these imperfect labels we give. Nature has no labels.

See the ship of Theseus for another paradox, using this view sets and collections do not actually exist! Sorry to bore you all...

WandA wrote:

Obviously egg. The chicken would require the maturation of the chick to chicken yet the egg would still be of the same form before it hatched so it would be the same yet also come before hand.

If you want me real philosophical view then language is just a convenient human construct, and 'egg' and 'chicken' are just convenient labels we give to certain collections of atoms that we perceive to have similar characteristics, the reason we have paradoxes such as these is because egg/chicken are just these imperfect labels we give. Nature has no labels.

See the ship of Theseus for another paradox, using this view sets and collections do not actually exist! Sorry to bore you all...

I love you Wanda

(in a way that doesn't threaten either of our relationships, let's not bring Plato into this)

Plato was a bit of a twat.

Now Aristotle... Some say he was one of the first true scientists! He invented Zooology and began classifying animals! http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/history/aristotle.html (5th para in)

Vampyrewillow [sign in to see picture]

Things that confuse me...

WandA's two previous posts!

Hehehe

VW x

Vampyrewillow wrote:

Hehehe

VW x

Only those two?

My rambly hat must be malfunctioning...

Vampyrewillow [sign in to see picture]

WandA wrote:

Vampyrewillow wrote:

Hehehe

VW x

Only those two?

My rambly hat must be malfunctioning...

Haha, well them two sent me in a sprial of confusion, i'm going to pretend it's because i'm tired not because i'm thick ;]

VW x

Mr Monster [sign in to see picture]

WandA wrote:

Plato was a bit of a twat.

Now Aristotle... Some say he was one of the first true scientists! He invented Zooology and began classifying animals! http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/history/aristotle.html (5th para in)

But surely the definition of science lies more in the social structure surrounding the study than the actual work carried out? It must be peer-reviewed and replicable to really be considered scientific, both of which require others to be working to an agreed set of standards: however good someone is, if they're working outside (or before) the established scientific community, at best they can be merely right. He was right quite a lot.

Anyway, imperfect linguistic labels aside, it's one of those questions that only confuses people because it implies that one of the options given is the answer: if your answer is not chicken or egg, you feel you are cheating the question. When some smart-arse turns around and says actually the chicken egg is merely a stage in the life cycle of a chicken and as such it is true to say that they arose and co-evolved simultaneously from creatures that were neither chickens, nor laid eggs people tend to start giving me funny looks. Him. Giving HIM funny looks. Whoever it was.

Smart-arse.

MrMr

Despina Rose [sign in to see picture]

Why people who are really tired ring the bells all night?

How people can have such bowel issues?

Why do I keep having to retype every word 3 times?

Mr Monster wrote:

But surely the definition of science lies more in the social structure surrounding the study than the actual work carried out? It must be peer-reviewed and replicable to really be considered scientific, both of which require others to be working to an agreed set of standards: however good someone is, if they're working outside (or before) the established scientific community, at best they can be merely right. He was right quite a lot.

Anyway, imperfect linguistic labels aside, it's one of those questions that only confuses people because it implies that one of the options given is the answer: if your answer is not chicken or egg, you feel you are cheating the question. When some smart-arse turns around and says actually the chicken egg is merely a stage in the life cycle of a chicken and as such it is true to say that they arose and co-evolved simultaneously from creatures that were neither chickens, nor laid eggs people tend to start giving me funny looks. Him. Giving HIM funny looks. Whoever it was.

Smart-arse.

MrMr

I like smart arses!

What if you are the social structure? No one else at the time subscribes to your methods? I don't think science evolved by 20 or so people all agreeing to the scientific method and then going from there, the method evolves too surely? Could you not retrospectively apply the scientific method to a person past and judge their work up to a certain standard or not far off?

Anyway, that bit is not strictly relevant because I was talking in the broader sense of the word.

"A scientist in a broad sense is one engaging in a systematic activity to acquire knowledge. In a more restricted sense, a scientist is an individual who uses the scientific method. The person may be an expert in one or more areas of science."

That little barking bastard outside, only barks at weekends really! Where the F is it?

Alicia D'amore [sign in to see picture]

WandA wrote:

"A scientist in a broad sense is one engaging in a systematic activity to acquire knowledge. In a more restricted sense, a scientist is an individual who uses the scientific method. The person may be an expert in one or more areas of science."

Oooh 2 quote boxes...that's a new issue :S

This ^^ is what I would have said, but in a less eloquent way! To me science has many different definitions - peer-review is a modern (ish) form of successful scientific method but the method of science is constantly evolving. I take a scientist to be anyone with an interest in acquiring knowledge, and the desire to find the purest/truest form of knowledge by aiming to avoid bias.

I am also confused as to why that dog keeps barking on weekends, but almost always stops when we get out of bed!

And, I'm confused as to how you can feel worse after sleep?

Adx

Alicia D'amore wrote:

I am also confused as to why that dog keeps barking on weekends, but almost always stops when we get out of bed!

And, I'm confused as to how you can feel worse after sleep?

Adx

She's saying "get out of bed you lazy lumps! get out of bed!" Then you do, so she stops.

(Mum's cat does the same thing if we're house-sitting)

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.