• Things that confuse me...

WandA [sign in to see picture]

My mates just got a 1st in Engineering in his 2nd year and has Dyslexia, certainly not stopped him!

Good luck with the Uni lark anyway! Off to watch crappy Sci-fi and on that note...

I don't get why Andromeda is rubbish yet I still watch it...

KittyPurry [sign in to see picture]

Lol what have I started!?

The conservative thing was meant to be tongue in cheek (what I said is true, I really do find it extremely hard to understand the tory mindset but I didn't actually mean to cause a politial debate!)

As for Twilight...I don't even think it's that bad (if you're into that sort of thing), I just think it's entirely undistinguished and the hysteria surrounding it has me completely baffled!

xxKPxx

CurlyCoupleWife [sign in to see picture]

KittyPurry wrote:

The conservative thing was meant to be tongue in cheek (what I said is true, I really do find it extremely hard to understand the tory mindset but I didn't actually mean to cause a politial debate!)

As for Twilight...I don't even think it's that bad (if you're into that sort of thing), I just think it's entirely undistinguished and the hysteria surrounding it has me completely baffled!

xxKPxx

I haven't read any yet - I find mass hysteria very off-putting (it took me ages to get round to reading Harry Potter for the same reason).

CurlyCoupleWife wrote:

KittyPurry wrote:

xxKPxx

I haven't read any yet - I find mass hysteria very off-putting (it took me ages to get round to reading Harry Potter for the same reason).

I was put off Harry Potter at first too but after I started reading I got hooked and I think it is rather good, but I came ot this conclusion on my own! It's well written, imaginative and enaging ... everything great children's literature should be (I'm a big kid so I love it too!) I really do think the series is something special.

Twilight on the other hand is just totally uninspiring. It seems to me to be exactly like all those Point Horror/Point Romance type books that I read a few of when I was in junior school. I mean it's fine, harmless junk but I really don't understand all the fuss. It doesn't do or say anything new so why is it so popular? Confused!

xxKPxx

I wonder whether maybe it's just awakened a vampire fetish in a lot of people who didn't know they had one?

I will have to read it at some point to make up my own mind but I'll probably continue to avoid it while everyone is telling me "you must read this" - nope I mustn't, i'll read what I want to thanks...

(stubborn, me?)

Doug [sign in to see picture]

well in my mind, the best fantasy writer is Terry Pratchet

CurlyCoupleWife wrote:

I wonder whether maybe it's just awakened a vampire fetish in a lot of people who didn't know they had one?

I will have to read it at some point to make up my own mind but I'll probably continue to avoid it while everyone is telling me "you must read this" - nope I mustn't, i'll read what I want to thanks...

(stubborn, me?)

Hahahaha I have that reaction too, even if it's something I wanted to do, if I get told I MUST I feel a very strong urge to say no, f-off! I suspect some psychologist folks would say it's the expression of a need to rebel, controlling parent issues etc etc (personally I think it's just the naughty school girl in me wanting a spanking!)

xxKPxx

Doug wrote:

YAY!!!! Terry Pratchect is immense! The Discworld novels I've read were amazing!

I think if I had to pick a fantasy writer I'd say Tolkein, since having Lord of the Rings read to me when I was 5, I've been absolutely addicted to it!

xxKPxx

Doug wrote:

Definitely, the man is a legend. I love the discworld series. Best character for me is either death or the librarian - ook.

I also like Tom Holt for his sheer randomness.

Ecksvie [sign in to see picture]

Eoin Colfer all the way! I will totally be waiting outside the bookshop for it to open when the 7th Artemis Fowl book comes out on the 20th!

KittyPurry wrote:

Hahahaha I have that reaction too, even if it's something I wanted to do, if I get told I MUST I feel a very strong urge to say no, f-off! I suspect some psychologist folks would say it's the expression of a need to rebel, controlling parent issues etc etc (personally I think it's just the naughty school girl in me wanting a spanking!)

xxKPxx

but I never had to rebel against my parents - we were very open with each other and it worked very well.

My friends would work out elaborate lies to tell their parents about what they were doing whereas I'd tell them "I'm going over to x's house to have a few drinks"

I like to think that I'm just independent.

KittyPurry wrote:

Doug wrote:

YAY!!!! Terry Pratchect is immense! The Discworld novels I've read were amazing!

I think if I had to pick a fantasy writer I'd say Tolkein, since having Lord of the Rings read to me when I was 5, I've been absolutely addicted to it!

xxKPxx

there is a new one coming out soon (or so i've been told)

Ecksvie wrote:

Eoin Colfer all the way! I will totally be waiting outside the bookshop for it to open when the 7th Artemis Fowl book comes out on the 20th!

can not wait for that to come out, although will have ot re read the previous books

Alicia D'amore [sign in to see picture]

CurlyCoupleWife wrote:

(stubborn, me?)

I do exactly this - it's why I haven't watched Glee - I'd probably love it, I love musicals and the like - but I refuse to watch/read anything hyped up haha!

KP if you like kids' books have you read the His Dark Materials Trilogy by Philip Pullman?

Amazing!

I'm confused as to why my mother has this knack for being "busy" doing something that doesn't *need* doing, when something that does *need* doing, needs doing...

Adx

Doug wrote:

Ecksvie wrote:

can not wait for that to come out, although will have ot re read the previous books

Ooh wow, another AF fan! Tuesday is normally the day I see my boyfriend, but not that week, I'll be reading! Thankfully he's also an Artemis Fowl fan so we're both happy to put the sex off until another day :P

WandA [sign in to see picture]

Why I adore almost any cherry flavoured things... except cherries...

(Could perhaps be the artificial flavour I like, not cherries...)

how you can have a bubble gum flavour. Bubble gum is normal chewing gum that is more stretchy, not a flavour

Yeah, I'm the same. I like cherry and strawberry flavoured things but I don't like the real thing.

WandA wrote:

Why I adore almost any cherry flavoured things... except cherries...

(Could perhaps be the artificial flavour I like, not cherries...)

I'm the opposite way round: Love cheese, love onions, cheese n onion crisps? the smell of them makes me feel ill, the taste makes me retch - weird!

Anyone else remember tomato ketchup flavoured crisps? Can't stand ketchup in real life, but those crisps were awesome!

littlepixi [sign in to see picture]

yes!! i loved them and the burger balls as well?? 90's food was good! xxx

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.