• Things that confuse me...

KittyPurry [sign in to see picture]

bumble wrote:

KittyPurry wrote:

I think flammable and inflamable are stupid because the prefix -in does imply "not" e.g. incompatible, incoherent.

The prefix "ex" though doesn't realy imply "not" or opposite so I don't find terminate vs exterminate as daft. I tend to think of exterminate as meaning "to kill an entire group" and terminate as meaning "to end."

xxKPxx

How about in ex-partner!

I thought ex followed by a hyphen implied "previous" rather than "not"...e.g. an ex-partner is someone who was your patner but isn't anymore. I don't think it means "not partner" - otherwise pretty much everyone would be my ex-partner! An ex-terminator would be someone who used to be a terminator (Arnie!) whereas an exterminator is someone who kills. The hypen is crucial to the meaning!

There are quite a few words that start with ex that don't mean previously anything: extrapolate, expedition, expose, expect, exhaust, exponential. I don't know much about latin and word origins etc. but I would include exterminate with these words in that respect!

Maybe I'm wrong, I am definately getting worse at English these days: thnx 2 fkn txt spk

xxKPxx

Alicia D'amore [sign in to see picture]

KittyPurry wrote:

bumble wrote:

KittyPurry wrote:

I think flammable and inflamable are stupid because the prefix -in does imply "not" e.g. incompatible, incoherent.

The prefix "ex" though doesn't realy imply "not" or opposite so I don't find terminate vs exterminate as daft. I tend to think of exterminate as meaning "to kill an entire group" and terminate as meaning "to end."

xxKPxx

How about in ex-partner!

I thought ex followed by a hyphen implied "previous" rather than "not"...e.g. an ex-partner is someone who was your patner but isn't anymore. I don't think it means "not partner" - otherwise pretty much everyone would be my ex-partner! An ex-terminator would be someone who used to be a terminator (Arnie!) whereas an exterminator is someone who kills. The hypen is crucial to the meaning!

xxKPxx

I would say ex means previous and no longer - you wouldn't call someone who used to be friend but you just lost touch with an "ex-friend" really...or I wouldn't at least. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I take it :)

Adx

lookslikefun [sign in to see picture]

ex can come from extra- meaning beyond or outside of, away from, so extra-mural activities are what Ad and WandA are getting up to 'beyond the walls' of the University...so this 'being outside of' extra is often shortened to ex-, and still has that same sort of meaning in that they are outside of the category 'boyfriend', so ex-boyfriend.

Exterminate is real Latin, whereby we have corrupted the meaning over the years, terminare meant to mark a boundary, set a limit. Ex-terminare meant to expel, exclude, banish, by setting people beyond the boundaries. That all sorts of medieval sh1t started to happen to those who were banished, was not the original sense, but nontheless the fate of those marked apart has come to be the general sense of the word, and not the original definition.

Starlight* [sign in to see picture]

Where that £20 that was in my purse went...

Firewolf [sign in to see picture]

headsouth wrote:

Extraordinary confuses me.... "extremely normal"... (yes i know that's not the right use of extra, but still...)

.. I have the same problem HS !

BashfulBabe [sign in to see picture]

headsouth wrote:

Extraordinary confuses me.... "extremely normal"... (yes i know that's not the right use of extra, but still...)

Isn't that because extra-ordinary means outside-of-what-is-normally-classed-as ordinary, so like the stuff that would be 'extra' to the set of things that are ordinary.

WandA [sign in to see picture]

BashfulBabe wrote:

headsouth wrote:

Isn't that because extra-ordinary means outside-of-what-is-normally-classed-as ordinary, so like the stuff that would be 'extra' to the set of things that are ordinary.

But it sounds more like It is extra ordinary, even if that doesn't strictly make sense.

toxycat [sign in to see picture]

How come pay day always seems to fall AFTER a bank holiday ......when you most need it...............................Tuesday i get paid............................DAMN!!!!

sexytime [sign in to see picture]

Why are they called a 'pair' of glasses when they are really just one set??

Malteser81 [sign in to see picture]

off topic I know but just have to say LOVE your pic sexytime hun lol

Scented Razor Handles..........................................WTF............what is the point........i bought a pack of disposables when i went away for a weekend.......on opening i noticed the sticker..............'fragranced with coconut'.................the handle.............smelled of coconut...........................................and the point is??????????????

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

Same as a pair of trousers. Though I thought it would be because it's a pair of legs, but then it raises the question, why is it a pair of knickers? But not a pair of bras?

Damn, I'm confused!

A pair of holes?

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

toxycat wrote:

Scented Razor Handles..........................................WTF............what is the point........i bought a pack of disposables when i went away for a weekend.......on opening i noticed the sticker..............'fragranced with coconut'.................the handle.............smelled of coconut...........................................and the point is??????????????

Yeah, I've had them, what is the point? Do women stick them inside themselves while having a shower so they can have a fresh scent? I have no idea..

LOL..................oh my god........can you imagine.................

toxycat wrote:

Sure it wasn't the strip?

You can;t have a smelly handle!

lol................most definatly not.....................obviously why this craze seems to be catching on...................

http://www.gillettevenus.com/en_US/products/disposables/tropical/index.jsp

Vampyrewillow [sign in to see picture]

Why i am too afraid to go in the bathroom because there was a massive spider in there but my mum killed it so theres nothing there but i am too scared!

VW x

er i must be a bit weird then as i save spiders when i find them in the bathroom.............just dont bother me..................wasps on the other hand are a whole different ball games.*shudders*

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

Nope, definately the handle!

I'd rather save 0.3p per razor... Does it ever feel like you're shaving with a car freshener?

toxycat wrote:

er i must be a bit weird then as i save spiders when i find them in the bathroom.............just dont bother me..................wasps on the other hand are a whole different ball games.*shudders*

No. That is called normal. Everyone knows wasps are evil and spiders kill flies which are slightly evil!

the thing is......you cant smell it while your shaving.....you literally have to shove the thing close to your nose to get any whiff of fragrance.....................so the delectible fragrance is deemed useless..........hence the absolute pointlessness of this product............(is pointlessness actually a word)..............oh well......it is anyway!!!

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.