• Things that confuse me...

Malteser81 [sign in to see picture]

WandA wrote:

Malteser81 wrote:

WandA wrote:

*off to watch the dog 'til she turds then get out the gold marker pen*

LMFAO! oh thats genius and very funny *still chuckling to herself*

£15 and it's all yours!

Nah, can pick some off a street and I have SILVER pen..... so mine will be differant!

Doug [sign in to see picture]

Malteser81 wrote:

WandA wrote:

Malteser81 wrote:

WandA wrote:

*off to watch the dog 'til she turds then get out the gold marker pen*

LMFAO! oh thats genius and very funny *still chuckling to herself*

£15 and it's all yours!

Nah, can pick some off a street and I have SILVER pen..... so mine will be differant!

how about gold a sliver (Copyrigh2010Doug) if i see that around i want royalties

WandA [sign in to see picture]

I claim neon coloured dog poo too!

day glow is mine, and flashing :P

Thats not fair!!!!!..... *sulks*

Rowan [sign in to see picture]

Good grief, what are you lot feeding those dogs?!

They started it Rowan..... I...... I...... I was dead at the time (gotta love Eddie Izzard) =D

Rowan wrote:

food, then, in the name of art, colouring in the result, ask WandA to explain, hes the fan of morden art :P

WandA [sign in to see picture]

Rowan wrote:

It's OK, it's all in the name of art...

As for meanings:
    Gold- the mutt found your purse again
    Silver- You're skint
    Neon- It ate a glow stick, have you recently been to a gig?
    Day glo- Move. Nuclear waste is the reason you are not surrounded by houses. Check your children have the correct number of heads. n.b. this is generally considered to be one.
    Flashing- Congratulations! You found Spock's dog! Secretly a homing beacon so if he turns up you may not have to pay the relevant fines!

Rowan wrote:

As for meanings:
    Silver- You're skint
    Day glo- Move. Nuclear waste is the reason you are not surrounded by houses. Check your children have the correct number of heads. n.b. this is generally considered to be one.
    Flashing- Congratulations! You found Spock's dog! Secretly a homing beacon so if he turns up you may not have to pay the relevant fines!

haha very good

jackador123 [sign in to see picture]

What in the world is happening?

Malteser81 wrote:

They started it Rowan..... I...... I...... I was dead at the time (gotta love Eddie Izzard) =D

Congratulations on your recovery from death! I heard once that was quite serious :)

Rowan wrote:

As for meanings:
    Silver- You're skint

How right is this.... I took the skint option =(

KittyPurry [sign in to see picture]

WandA wrote:

Most modern art. Call me a Philistine but loads of it is complete shite.

Today I've seen doodles children would be embarrassed by, a huge pile of bread with a man shaped hope in it and a piece by Emin saying "Is anal sex legal, is legal sex anal." in a big neon sign. Seriously, that is not art. It's utter manipulation of the idiot willing to spend thousands on something that took 15 mins... Yes, it is original. Do you know why? Some things are too stupid to even bothering to consider doing (unless someone wants to throw money at you).

At the risk of also sounding like a Philistine...I agree! I think art should either look nice, be technically difficult or say something interesting but a frightening amount of modern art work in my opinion does none of these things.

What really annoys me though is the sums of money involved, Tracy Emin get squillions of pounds for doing naff all and then you get decent artists just hanging out in Trafalgar Square who'll draw you for £2! It's utter madness!

Some modern stuff is great, I don't know if he's actually classed as modern anymore but Dali's stuff is friggin awesome! I'm not closed off to the idea of doing things differently it's just that as WandA says some things are too stupid to bother with: different isn't always better!

xxKPxx

telemachus [sign in to see picture]

But on a more basic level - art should be something that you like to look at. Traditionally, people would have landscapes on their walls because they liked to look at them, not because they meant something, or were a representation of something else. So a deeper meaning is not always necessary. We have a Rothko on the wall. Because I like to look at it, it pleases me. Not because I agree with his social commentary.

I think the thing with art and meaning is that it has to be believable. I'm not sure if I believe Tracey Emin when she presents her tent that it really means anything. I get the feeling when looking at it that it is disingenuous. It feels like an attempt at art, rather than an expression of what she was feeling. However, we saw Damien Hirsts flies on canvas a few years ago and it felt like art to me. I believe Jackson Pollock. I like to look at his work, I find it interesting, not annoying. I don't have to perceive the deeper meaning, but I find it believable that he could have one. Sometimes it is just a gut reaction. I don't dismiss Kandinsky, because of the undoubtable influence he has had on other artists, but his work is a total turn off to me, it means nothing - I just can't relate to it in any way.

telemachus [sign in to see picture]

And I love Gormley. These days, anyone can take a portrait. Everyone has a digital camera, "arty" shots are everywhere - in stock photo banks online. I can see how Modern Art has developed, to serve a different need, I can see the need to diversify. I like that the work that people like Gormley does makes you think in a different way, it engages people who would not normally see art. It makes people smile in an instant way, before they stop and think "hang on, do I like this?" I love that we can start to make our own history with things like The Angel of the North - it's marvellous.

tronic [sign in to see picture]

I wish to agree and disagree in equal measures about 'modern' art.

modern art is actually a bit old now, since then we've been through postmodern and now just in contemporary art, and while this is a bit of semantics I suppose there is a much different understanding of the works by non artists than the artists and their peers.

I agree wholeheartedly about the likes of emin, while there may be the odd good idea among the dross, it is analogous to throwing shit at a wall until a bit sticks (I think that may have been one of her works actually?) This is of course my opinion and as with most art there is difficulty in being objective in critique of it.

There are lots of interesting contemporary artists. There are a lot of noddy contemporary artists. Again, this is my opinion, very difficult to rate them on a scale. Works which connect with somebody may not resonate with somebody else, and misunderstandings or unclear messages can muddy the waters further.

Personally, I try to forget the nomenclature and technical balls around things and look at the work. If I like it, I like it. If I don't I don't. If someone needs to explain it to me, I generally don't, except on a basic level of composition, form, colour, content etc. Some works can simply be aesthetically pleasing, they don't have to have a deep and complex message. An interesting treatment of some medium can be enough to fascinate me and please me, and that is an emotional response, and that makes it art.

@HS - I bet your visio flowcharts are lush, and with some message you possibly could make a work of art from one, but as a functional item with no meaning it's not art.

I suppose I have to look at it this way. I don't care for football. Millions of people do. Those people sustain that industry and gain pleasure from taking part in that sphere of the world. I care for certain kinds of art, and in the same way there is a little sphere of the world which sustains itself and why should we judge them. we can have opinions of them, but it doesn't mean it's wrong per se.

Having said that I wish I was as rich as emin, or any of the commodified ones who've turned a good coin from recycling their heyday.

talking about turning function into art, The red bull team used UV paint on their cars to see the air flow as they are limited on the amount of testing they can do in a wind tunnle. This was then shown under a blacklight and presented as art. Function into art

DrtyBoy [sign in to see picture]

Why do babies need passports, and what is the point of having a photo passport that lasts 5 years! The picture doesnt look anything like the baby a few days after it was taken!

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.