• Vasectomy

Dixie Flatline [sign in to see picture]

Oh, and regards whether it is right for you. Please, please be a million percent sure. It should never, ever be taken as reversible. Yes, some people manage that, but for the purpose of deciding, take it as final. Any doubt whatsoever, don't do it.

I'm very unusual, in that I'm only in my late 20s, single and childless. Understandably, the NHS wouldn't go near me. However, I first realised I don;t want kids over ten years ago, and had my mind made up I wanted a vasectomy about 3 years ago-having been considering it for at least 6-7 years. Even then, I had a few talks with mates, one of whom had had it at a similar age to me, and I still sat on it for two years. Eventually, I realised I was only scared of the op itself (I don't like needles, blood, pain etc).

I had already spoke to the Marie Stopes helpline, so I decided to go with them. I only had to wait about 4 weeks too, the op cost £402 including a phone consultation and follow up tests. Stopes do some great work in helping people make their choice, so I was more than happy to support them too. There is an option for counselling first if you're unsure, and if you're under 25 you have to have a face to face session first.

The phone chat is to run through medical history, outline the procedure and ensure you really are sure. I nearly got the giggles when I was told that after the op, I had to have at least 25 ejeculations within the 16 weeks til my first sample. Under doctors orders to masturbate then!

Obviously I was nervous as anything going in to the centre, but the staff were great. Top tip-tell them if you get faint with needles, blood etc. They'll give you glucose tablets, which really keep you upright. Apart from the aforemention shock in the last post, it went well-couldn't see anything, and one nurse just sits with you and talks you through it. I hate any surgery, but I felt very well cared for.

Sorry for going on, but I thought people might appreciate an in depth account. Feel free to ask or PM any questions.

TB149 [sign in to see picture]

I had mine done 7 years back, don't regret it in the slightest. I was still in my 20's when I had it done but with 3 kids we knew we didn't want any more. GP didn't really try to talk me out of it, just went through everything.
    The mind discomfort was well worth the peace of mind.

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.