• Implant out-fertility awareness

sassykitten;) [sign in to see picture]

Latex free etc r meant to be good

Boogaloo [sign in to see picture]

All of that stuff about the luteal phase etc is true, but it doesn't apply when you've just come off of contraception as you haven't been cycling, you've been stuck in an artificial state instead. There's really no way of knowing when your cycles are going to start, your body doesn't have to wait for a period to ovulate it can literally happen instantly. The bleeding you get after having the implant remove isn't a period either, it's a withdrawal bleed, so you're still considered fertile.

If pregnancy would be a bad thing for you right now then I'd suggest getting the morning after pill, some of them can be taken 3 or even 5 days after sex, just to be extra safe. But if you do, remember that can have an effect on your cycle afterwards too.

Good luck :) xx

Kimberleyking [sign in to see picture]

just reading this thread ive had my implant a year now useful to know what to expect when i have mine out xx

Young and fun95 [sign in to see picture]

Honestly it wouldn't be the end of the world, just not perfect timing, we could manage.

In other news... The pull out method is totally effective right?

Were being a little silly ATM, I'm bleeding a fair bit so I don't think I could conceive if my lining is falling off. But we will try to be more careful, we had a bit of sex then I gave him oral to completion so it's not like he was ready to burst, and could have been leaking. I'm not really worried tbh, might do a test in a few days of my period lightens up or something.

kinmberly the removal is not fun, they actually cut a hole in your arm and put tongs in to pull it out, the plasters have ripped my skin though she put them on that tight!

OH commented today I already seem in a better mood, I feel great. So glad I had it out.

been refereed for a cap so we will start using that when I get it so it's a bit more personal but still protected

I definitely felt in a better mood after having my implant removed and became mega horny!

The pull out method isn't totally effective, it's not a great method to practice if you're 100% against having kids (apparently because most men don't pull out early enough, and pre ejaculate can contain some sperm). I don't know enough about it to advise you tbh, it's not a method we've ever tried but I know that some people do successfully use it for years, have you researched it to find out more? Could be worth looking in to before you try it xx

Yeah he didn't pull out when he was close, just when we was ready, we've read it's one of those where if you use it properly it works if not it doesn't, just like fam

Yeah I think the problem most people have is that they pull out slightly too late, but if you research how to time it properly it will probably be more effective :)

JM88 [sign in to see picture]

On the website for the implant, theres a chart that has the different contraceptives and their effectiveness. The withdrawal method was the second least successful, only beating no contraception at all! So i wouldn't recommend that unless you have both discussed the possibility of having kids before you planned on it so you are both on the same page.

sassykitten;) [sign in to see picture]

Wow ive never heard anyone say the withdrawal is effective... and I studied child care . Im just gunnagive you another view to removal, mine was a gently removal by a doctor who was lovely.. n had no bleeding afterwards

My implant removal went very smoothly too, I was completely numb and they just made a tiny cut in my arm and popped it out. Didn't even notice! It didn't bleed much, the only problem I've had is that 3 years later my arm is still extremely sensitive and feels weird if anything even brushes it, must be something to do with the nerves. But it was like that from the moment I had the implant put in anyway.

I thought the removal wasn't as bad as the insertion :)

i was kinda joking when i said pull out was totally effective, i know its not one of the most effective ways but considering our options are: pull out, condoms, cap and FAM none of them are classed as effective because of how people practise them. if you practise them all correctly then they can be very effective.

my removal was awful, i have put on a lot of weight and she said it was very deep. i have a pretty big hole and a massive bruise and blisters in a square around it where the plaster was pulling :/

Yikes Y&F that sounds horrible :( hopefully it heals up soon!

To be honest, no method of contraception is 100% effective. That's why it frustrates me when people say 'don't use FAM unless you want children' when the risk of falling pregnant is the same as the contraceptive pill (if followed properly)! There is of course the problem of user error with FAM, but the same is true for the pill and condoms etc. I guess the only fool proof methods of contraception are the long lasting contraceptives (I.e. Coil, implant, etc) but even those carry a small risk of pregnancy and can be inserted incorrectly.

So in my eyes, there really is no such thing as a perfect method of contraception (except abstinence perhaps hah) so you just have to make the right choice for you :)

It looks a mess!

exactly, even hormonal ones aren't perfect but at least you have control over non hormonal ones, plus the idea of being on hormones for 40 years is absurd to me, how can that not mess your body up?

its not that we don't ever want children, if we got pregnant we'd keep the baby and it'd have a good life and we'd manage, but we want our dream house and to be married first, it's just timing is all.

i think we're being pretty careful tbh, just not in the way most people would, period is getting heavier so I'm confident I'm not pregnant, looking forward to relying on FAM so we can have some unprotected sex every so often

Briona87 [sign in to see picture]

Boogaloo wrote:

So in my eyes, there really is no such thing as a perfect method of contraception (except abstinence perhaps hah) so you just have to make the right choice for you :)

You are quite right, whenever doctors ask if I am on the pill or if I have a coil, I always reply that I have my looks - and that this contraceptive method has always been completely reliable. (Who wouldn't love gallows humour....)

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.