• vaginal 'trauma' and childbirth, sex etc.

Luv bunny [sign in to see picture]

I had my smear test recently and the nurse mentioned that I have a polyp inside me, but she didn't elaborate and say how big or how deep...annoyingly I forgot to ask any more about it as I was distracted by my baby crying.

Questions are: firstly, could this have been caused by childbirth? My labour was pretty quick, about 8h from waters breaking until baby being born. I was only pushing a bit longer than 30 min as she was 8 weeks early and I wanted her out as quickly as possible to get her medical attention.

Next question, could this affect my sex life in the future, like could it get bigger if not treated? My OH has not mentioned anything since I told him about it...so it makes me wonder do I leave it well alone? Or do I see the Dr about it?

When I was pregnant, one of my biggest fears about childbirth was tearing or episiotomy/forceps delivery...

Don't want to be butchered, like some accounts I've heard :(

Apologies if tmi but didn't really find much useful info on the Web.

Friday13 [sign in to see picture]

My sister has had a polyp for years, having never had children. They are more common in women who are in their 40s and 50s and have had children but I believe that is more to do with higher/prolonged exposure to oestrogen than to childbirth itself.

Polyps can cause bleeding after sex but other than that, I don't think it should effect your sex life. They can grow but I don't know how fast or by how much.

If I was you I would see my GP about it just to rule out anything sinister (extremely unlikely) and to potentially get it removed. I don't know much about the removal procedure but I have heard it isn't that bad. This link explains more about the removal of polyps http://www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk/resources/patient-information/gynaecology/removal-of-cervical-polyps.pdf

Lovethekink [sign in to see picture]

I got told I had a polyp when I had my first smear (just after my eldest was born) I've not had a second smear yet as I had my little one when I was due it so I'm booked in for next month.

They said as long as it wasn't causing any problems they would just leave it. It's never bothered me or caused bleeding so as far as I know it's still there

Thanks for the link Friday, and it is reassuring to know they are not going to cause problems...The oestrogen thing is interesting as I was on Microgynon for more than 10 years... only went off it a couple of years ago, and glad I did. Just wanted to get off hormones and have regular periods again.

Main reason I went on it in first place was when I was younger, like 18, my bf at the time and I used condoms but we had one split so I decided to double Dutch and go on the pill too. Had a break for a year or so when we broke up then went back on it when I met OH at uni.

Will perhaps ring Dr's and ask what nurse said about it in her notes...

I was on microgynon for 11 years. Came off it finally last year when I got pregnant but tried it again this year and it send me do lally. Eurgh. Never going near it again

Jessicaleon11 wrote:

I got told I had a polyp when I had my first smear (just after my eldest was born) I've not had a second smear yet as I had my little one when I was due it so I'm booked in for next month.

They said as long as it wasn't causing any problems they would just leave it. It's never bothered me or caused bleeding so as far as I know it's still there

This is my 4th smear and the first I've ever heard about a polyp...which was why I wondered if it was caused in childbirth. I have not really noticed any bleeding or discomfort, so tempted to leave it be...

Jessicaleon11 wrote:

I was on microgynon for 11 years. Came off it finally last year when I got pregnant but tried it again this year and it send me do lally. Eurgh. Never going near it again

Yeah, I've not wanted to go on it again...I didn't notice anything adverse about it at the time, but wondering now if it did affect my libido and general mood when I was on it as I had depression twice and generally a crap sex drive in my 20s. We just use condoms now, which is a bit of a drag sometimes, but don't wanna go near hormones again (until I'm pregnant again, that is!)

Ive never known them to be linked to birth (and Ive had a horrendous long labour where I tore and then a birth the complete opposite) .

It could be due to hormones. Or just something age related maybe, as strange things happen as we get older.

I'm sure I recall mum having a polyp that went away on its own after a few years. But If it's causing no problems I'd be inclined to leave it. Like i said mines not caused any issues and I don't even know if it's there or not anymore lol As for the microgynon I went on it in June and within a month I was back off it,I was moody, irrational, depressed and having anxiety attacks.... Never again

Purring-Pussy [sign in to see picture]

Had no idea you could get polyps there.

I desperately need a smear test to check on the changed cells on my cervix, but it's been impossible due to daily bleeding, so getting anxious now, especially as I'm due another colposcopy as well.

Hope it doesn't cause too much discomfort for you x

Not really any discomfort so far touch wood...thinking it may be best left alone so long as it doesn't bleed or anything. Like Poking Fun says, it's just excess skin, so not anything to worry about really.

Thanks everyone for your advice
    xx

@ Purring-Pussy, hope your colposcopy goes alright xx

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.