• Are sex toy reviews slightly pointless?

Troubled Joe [sign in to see picture]

I'm definately in favour of reviews. Almost all of my purchasing decisions at LH have been based on them, but I really focus on the lengthier ones. If someone has taken the trouble to write I considered review, I'll read it.

I agree that the "it made me come in seconds" type reviews aren't that helpful, but if people write about lingerie I want to know how good the fit was, how good the stitching and materials are, etc. if reviewing toys, how loud they are, how flexible, how soft/firm, etc.

If someone's review sounds interesting, I'll read a few more of theirs just to get an idea of them and their likes and dislikes. You can then find people with similar tastes and judge a product better prior to purchase.

Thabks to all the reviewers out there who've provided me with guidance in the past. I for one appreciate your efforts.

LibraLover [sign in to see picture]

Would Lovehoney consider something like Goodreads do, where you can compare your reviews with someone else and get a percentage representing how similar you are?

Minkish Minx [sign in to see picture]

LibraLover wrote:

Would Lovehoney consider something like Goodreads do, where you can compare your reviews with someone else and get a percentage representing how similar you are?

If it's not too complex to implement, I think something like that would definitely be very helpful! Whenever I find someone with tastes similar to mine, I end up stalking all of their reviews anyway. xD

[suspended user]

suspended user

I'm certain this has been taken out of context. I'm sure the basis for thread is overly graphic reviews?

[suspended user]

suspended user

Kittycat102 wrote:

I know they're needed to say if the toy works how it's meant to and does the things that it says it does. But are reviews otherwise pointless in terms of how pleasureable it was to the person? Because everyone is different and no ones anatomy is the same and everyone has different sensitivity and preferences?

I forgot to add, I think it's the title people are responding to, not the contents of your post. Unless I'm reading this completely wrong, it's contents are saying politely, that overly graphic reviews are off-putting
    Talia [sign in to see picture]

In order to get any information from how pleasurable a toy was to the reviewer I would have to know that the reviewer finds the same things pleasurable as I - Lovebirds_x gave a great example on the previous page. Otherwise I'm more interested in "objective" information, like build quality (seems, rough spots, etc.), fit, sizing problems...

And I generally find "bad" reviews much more informative, I really wish Lovehoney would allow to view reviews sorted by rating in reverse order, i. e. bad ones first.

Because either there's problems with a product which put me off buying it, or there's problems with a product that I can live with, or there's nothing wrong with the product at all but the reviewer didn't unterstand the purpose of reviews and wrote a 1-star one (which lowers the products average note, especially if there's few reviews) because they bought the wrong size... All three cases tell me more than the "everything is wonderful, this is the best product ever" type of review..

Kimberleyking [sign in to see picture]

i think they are invaluable althougfh you are reading about someone elses experience and we are all unique you can still get a feel of wether or not the product is right for you. This only works i think if you read more then one review. when i am looking for a new toy i read tons on what people compare it to wether its worth buying or is tehre somthing cheaper that is better etc.

But maybe i am bias because i do reviews day in day out but i also read other's review i think it gives me an idea of the product more thouroughly as the product description on sites usually is all positive and no negative when of course if you read reviews before purchasing you get a balanced argument.

Lovehoney - Cazz [sign in to see picture]

PokingFun wrote:

What will happen when Cazz goes on maternity leave....? }:) *awaits panic*

Just saw this... All the sex toy sending will stop and no one is getting anything until I return...

Muhahahaaaa

I joke... There will be a (maternity cover) sex toy fairy on hand to grant wishes and needs ;)

x

Lovethekink [sign in to see picture]

Lovehoney - Cazz wrote:

PokingFun wrote:

What will happen when Cazz goes on maternity leave....? }:) *awaits panic*

Just saw this... All the sex toy sending will stop and no one is getting anything until I return...

Muhahahaaaa

I joke... There will be a (maternity cover) sex toy fairy on hand to grant wishes and needs ;)

x

Phew... Don't scare us like that Cazz! Hope the sickness is easing off for you x
    Caliente [sign in to see picture]

Talia wrote:

And I generally find "bad" reviews much more informative, I really wish Lovehoney would allow to view reviews sorted by rating in reverse order, i. e. bad ones first.

+1 I've been thinking the same since I started using the site. You should add this to the "suggestions" thread if it's not there already.

Delboy1991 [sign in to see picture]

Cazz did you get my email about the review I sent? X

Talia [sign in to see picture]

@ Caliente: Done!

Caliente [sign in to see picture]

Talia - thank you. Let's hope it's not difficult to set up.

Gentle giant [sign in to see picture]

i allways read other LH reviews before purchasing esp friends on here.

CutieCurious [sign in to see picture]

I definitely don't find sex toy reviews pointless, because like others in this thread, I really value the nitty-gritty details. I don't live alone, so if a few different reviews mention how noisy a toy was, I know it isn't for me. Most LH reviewers are quite articulate and know which details to talk about, so I find the reviews invaluable for informing me on matters like texture and noise, details that you really can't get just by looking at the item on the site.

If a reviewer is only mentioning whether they had orgasms or not, then I would agree with you - that would be a pretty pointless review. A review of "Great toy, gave me lots of orgasms" or "Rubbish, didn't get me off at all" doesn't tell me anything about whether or not the toy is for me, you're right. Luckily, those kind of reviews are few and far between on LH, although I've seen them elsewhere.

ThomCourt [sign in to see picture]

I tend to only buy based other reviews and even if each person is different I can tell if me or my oh will "get on" with an item based on other peoples reviews

And ny opinion is that people are looking for practical detailed reviews does it work. Is it quiet, is it to small for the average male to fit in without discomfort. Is it to long for an average female and so on

JM88 [sign in to see picture]

I find the value for money so hard to rate! Money is so different to different people so what i might consider value for money would be different for the next person.

one thing that makes it almost impossible is other items in comparison. I recently reviewed a £40 corset, and it didn't flatter me as much as my bargain £7 one i have! It was hard to judge its value because my fav corset was probably too good value for money which affects how i view higher priced items.

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.