• Are sex toy reviews slightly pointless?

popk1n [sign in to see picture]

Reviews are also handy for the negatives that the manufacturer wont tell you. I tend to focus on the negative points of a review eg itchy material, and see if its a dealbreaker for me or not. Lovehoney and the like are obviously going to tell you it is wonderful, but if reviews from customers are also great then you really know its worth a shot.

Lovehoney - Bonny [sign in to see picture]

I just tried to imagine life without reviews and it's a sad place... I wouldn't know what books to read, what music to check out and I wouldn't know which hotels to stay in! I think they are incredibly useful. Not everyone has the same taste but you can usually get more information than you get from a product description.

I think for sex toys it's also really important as there are so many new users who benefit from the guidance and advice given by more experienced users. There is also so much flexiblity in the way products are used and the reviews give tips and suggestions that are not always covered in the description. 

popk1n [sign in to see picture]

Also even if reviews are pointless to you as a reader, they arent pointless to me when I write one as its so fun and kind of theraputic :D plus without reviews, there is no sex toy testers or review of the month on lovehoney..... bear that in mind ;D

Boogaloo [sign in to see picture]

Sex toy reviews are most definitely not useless to me! Sure, not everybody will have the same experience with a toy, but that's where reviews come in so handy!

Take for instance G spot toys. I'm not big on G spot stimulation and I find overly curved toys very painful. When I'm reading reviews I find it extremely helpful to hear people's experiences, as many people will comment on whether the toy was particularly rigid or not. Same goes for rabbits and other dual stimulators. My clitoris appears to be higher up than most as no rabbits can reach it, so if I notice a few people with the same problem in the reviews I'm unlikely to purchase that toy as I know it's a strong possibility it will happen to me too.

The most helpful reviews are ones in which people describe their anatomy/body type, so I know I which reviews I can relate to. This is especially true for lingerie, as I always look out for the reviewers with big boobs!

Some reviews are useless to me, if they're not detailed enough, but they may be helpful to others. It's a very personal thing, but I'm glad so many customers take the time to do it as it really does make a difference. :)

LittleSwitchBitch [sign in to see picture]

Kittycat102 wrote:

I know they're needed to say if the toy works how it's meant to and does the things that it says it does. But are reviews otherwise pointless in terms of how pleasureable it was to the person? Because everyone is different and no ones anatomy is the same and everyone has different sensitivity and preferences?

I haven't read anything anyone has written as I just popped in to see what this thread was about. Imo ur thread is pointless ... 1.lovehoneys success as a business is based on reviews 2. Yes my bits and pieces are different but anatomy wise the same and reading people's reviews whom I'd associate likeness in taste would sway my opinion to purchase or not 3. As a reviewer who has spent hours doing reviews (I've racked up over 70 now) that post is fair annoying .... Anyways, like I sd I've not read what anyone has wrote that's my opinion on it.
    bondagegod [sign in to see picture]

Reviews is a part of love honey as well as the sex toys they sell. Reading the reviews can make you mind up on a certain product or change your mind on one you never thought you would purchase. i also enjoy writing the reviews and Enjoy reading them as well.

Kittycat102 [sign in to see picture]

I never said it was pointless entierely at all. I like writing reviews for things so I'm not against anything either. Was just saying..

I just meant the pleasure side of things. Not anything else and it's just a thought, not my actual opinon that I think they're pointless because I don't

LeilaK [sign in to see picture]

Definitely not, I love reading reviews on Lovehoney toys ect in fact I always get carried away and read loads of them lol. It's great to find out what other people's thoughts and experiences are with toys ect.

It really does help me make a decision whether to purchase or not. Of course it doesn't always mean I will like it. I always pick up great tips from reviews, and think wow I would never have thought of that or tried that.

I also appreciate the time and effort that Lovehoney members put into writing a review.

myghost [sign in to see picture]

I don't think reviews are pointless i like to know what the build quality is like does it look and feel as good as the picture suggests the sizing how well it works strength and type of vibrations noise are there any flaws that i need to be aware of tips for use. on the pleasure side it can be nice to know how someone else uses it to give you an idea how to get the best out of it if it might work for you

sweetcheeks1 [sign in to see picture]

I think the reviews are really important! I've bought some stuff that I might not have bought because the reviews have been so good and have been really glad too. I spend ages resfi g the reviews and love reading about other peoples experiences

Lovebirds_x [sign in to see picture]

Kittycat102 wrote:

I just meant the pleasure side of things. Not anything else and it's just a thought, not my actual opinon that I think they're pointless because I don't

I think this specific point depends on what the person has written. For example:

'Omg it was the most amazing feeling ever, I've never orgasmed so hard in my life. Never been pleasured like this before. I so reccomend this!!!'- pretty useless. Like, good for you, but eh.

'This toy gave me the most amazing orgasms. The vibrations were deep and rumbly, even the lowest speed was enough to tip me over the edge. I'd reccomend this to anyone who likes their vibrations deep, rumbly and powerful'.- useful as it's not just saying that the toy was pleasurable, it's giving more detail on why it was pleasurable and gives you a point of reference to apply to yourself; if you like deep rumbly vibrations then you're likely to agree with the reviewer, if you get more pleasure from buzzy vibrations you're not likely to enjoy it as much.

If that makes sense haha :)

charliemichelle [sign in to see picture]

no

Lovehoney - Cazz [sign in to see picture]

Without reviews I would have no job.

Sad Cazz frown

We all be sad without cazz.

That still a while away yet. Don't need to think of that just yet.

Clockwork_Oasis [sign in to see picture]

I am like PokingFun - I read reviews for EVERTHING. I often just skim through them and look for things that seem to ressonate with how I think/feel/worry about things.

With plus size clothing, for example, since a size 20 can be so many different shapes, I like to look for people who comment on the fit in areas that are often a problem for me. The same with toys, I am very sensitive about sound, so I like to skim several reviews and see how many of them comment on the sound before I buy.

I suppose how useful they are depends on how you use them, but pointless? Definitely not for me =)

I don't think some people understood what I meant lol

Minkish Minx [sign in to see picture]

Kittycat102 wrote:

I know they're needed to say if the toy works how it's meant to and does the things that it says it does. But are reviews otherwise pointless in terms of how pleasureable it was to the person? Because everyone is different and no ones anatomy is the same and everyone has different sensitivity and preferences?

I think some people are responding purely based on the topic and didn't really read the elaboration in Kitty's main post.

From my understanding (sorry if I'm wrong!), she's not asking sex toy reviews are pointless as a whole. She's commenting specifically on subjectively written reviews where a person reviews a sex toy purely based on personal bias.

I think Lovebirds_x hit the nail on the head with her examples. A review like, "This g-spot vibrator didn't do anything for me at all!" just isn't as helpful as a review that says, "This g-spot vibrator didn't do anything for me at all because I've discovered that I can only really get off with clitoral stimulation."

I wouldn't say that the first kind of reviews are pointless per se, but I think it is definitely less helpful than the latter. There's a very helpful LH article on "How to Write Better Reviews" because I think in general, we all agree that:

"The best reviews are those that help someone else make an informed decision about the right toy for them. It doesn't matter whether you loved a toy or thought it was awful, the most important thing is to describe how it made you feel and what someone else would find if they bought the same item."

Personally, I think some responses here are a little harsh on the OP. Maybe the thread topic is misleading, but when you read on, there is some validity to what she's asking. Calm down guys, she's not suggesting in any way that we'd be better off without reviews (sex toys or otherwise) altogether.

Minkish Minx wrote:

Kittycat102 wrote:

I think some people are responding purely based on the topic and didn't really read the elaboration in Kitty's main post.

From my understanding (sorry if I'm wrong!), she's not asking sex toy reviews are pointless as a whole. She's commenting specifically on subjectively written reviews where a person reviews a sex toy purely based on personal bias.

I think Lovebirds_x hit the nail on the head with her examples. A review like, "This g-spot vibrator didn't do anything for me at all!" just isn't as helpful as a review that says, "This g-spot vibrator didn't do anything for me at all because I've discovered that I can only really get off with clitoral stimulation."

I wouldn't say that the first kind of reviews are pointless per se, but I think it is definitely less helpful than the latter. There's a very helpful LH article on "How to Write Better Reviews" because I think in general, we all agree that:

"The best reviews are those that help someone else make an informed decision about the right toy for them. It doesn't matter whether you loved a toy or thought it was awful, the most important thing is to describe how it made you feel and what someone else would find if they bought the same item."

Personally, I think some responses here are a little harsh on the OP. Maybe the thread topic is misleading, but when you read on, there is some validity to what she's asking. Calm down guys, she's not suggesting in any way that we'd be better off without reviews (sex toys or otherwise) altogether.

Thank you, that is what I meant and I have no idea why people mentioned reviews for general things because I never said anything about those lol

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.