• Are sex toy reviews slightly pointless?

Kittycat102 [sign in to see picture]

I know they're needed to say if the toy works how it's meant to and does the things that it says it does. But are reviews otherwise pointless in terms of how pleasureable it was to the person? Because everyone is different and no ones anatomy is the same and everyone has different sensitivity and preferences?

sassykitten;) [sign in to see picture]

I know what u mean what works for one doesnt for another, but in general I definitely use the reviews as a guide anyways with lovehoneys returns policy does it matter if it doesnt work out you can return with no question :)

Terri JJ [sign in to see picture]

I usually find them quite helpful to be honest.

I guess if people dont find them helpful then they dont have to read them x

(dont like to think of peoples carefully written reviews as pointless) !!

I fnd them helpful too but not everything works for everyone so you could read loads of reviews on one product and think yeah that sounds great for me but then you use it and it doesn't have the same effect

DavidB1986 [sign in to see picture]

You could argue are ANY review useful? Everyone has different taste in Music, Films, Clothing, Food etc etc.

But without reviews, there is far too much choice, and it's good to hear somebody elses experience - and I can usually tell from what they've said whether a product would be right for me. So reviews are definitely helpful as a good starting point.

DavidB1986 wrote:

You could argue are ANY review useful? Everyone has different taste in Music, Films, Clothing, Food etc etc.

But without reviews, there is far too much choice, and it's good to hear somebody elses experience - and I can usually tell from what they've said whether a product would be right for me. So reviews are definitely helpful as a good starting point.

Hmm this is true

sleepycelia [sign in to see picture]

Not really, imo - I think it depends how you utilise them? I look for reviews that mention traits that I have or from people that I already know have similar tastes to me so I'm able to figure out if it might work for me. For example, there's one reviewer/blogger I follow who uses a lot of pressure externally and prefers softer silicones and broad g-spot stim: because I like all these things too, if she reviews something favourably then I'm likely to look into it too. That's not to say that everything she loves I'm automatically going to like as well, it's just a useful approximation.

Having said that, Lovehoney reviews are a bit different for me because unless the person goes into a ton of detail (which I wish more people would do but obviously not everyone's comfortable with this) or has a really large amount of reviews then I'm not always able to work this out.

Lovethekink [sign in to see picture]

I agree in some respects as what works for some might not for others. But the overall idea I guess is to give the things such as cleanliness, ease of use, problems encountered etc so the things that would relate to everyone as well as your own personal experiences with the product
    No one wants a toy that fell to bits after the first use,or that was impossible to clean and required screwdrivers for batteries.... Lol

sleepycelia [sign in to see picture]

Argh I meant 'not really' in response to your question, not 'not really' as in whether I think they're useful - can't edit cause I'm on my phone!

Lovinthetoys [sign in to see picture]

I always read the reviews, you take a broad overview and discount some, but generally gives you a good insight into the product.

So im all for them

Briona87 [sign in to see picture]

DavidB1986 wrote:

+ 1

Reading other people's experiences with various products can help you decide, particularly when they list various features of those products.

Young and fun95 [sign in to see picture]

i do tend to leave out whether i found it pleasurable unless comparing it other toys or it was incredible for this reason, i prefer reviewing quality of the product nad how it compares to its price braccket and others that are similar

wildflower [sign in to see picture]

I find the reviews very helpful personally.

Obviously you don't expect your experience with an item to be exactly the same as someone else's but you do get some idea of how things work etc .
    There are many people that put quite a lot of effort into writing well put together reviews and I really appreciate that.
    It adds a human touch rather than a formulated bit of info from the manufacturer.

Young and fun95 [sign in to see picture]

the most annoying thing in the world is a review that just says how many orgasms they day while using it and all Im thinking is " but how loud was it??! or "how comfortable is it to wear long term??!" "i dont care if people were walking out of the cinema because your wife was squirting everywhere, how easy is it to clean??!" but saying something like "I've never orgasmed before but this did it" i understand the value

Purring-Pussy [sign in to see picture]

I find them very useful. I've just been deciding between the We-vibe Tango and Touch. Due to the reviews, I know the Touch is definitely the one for me and it was DavidB1986 which determined this

Also with lingerie, it's a huge help knowing peoples height, bust size, dress size etc. It saves me from ordering stuff and having to return items if they don't fit.

DavidB1986 [sign in to see picture]

Purring-Pussy wrote:

I find them very useful. I've just been deciding between the We-vibe Tango and Touch. Due to the reviews, I know the Touch is definitely the one for me and it was DavidB1986 which determined this

Glad to have helped

Purring-Pussy [sign in to see picture]

DavidB1986 wrote:

Purring-Pussy wrote:

Glad to have helped

It really did. I know the Tango comes highly recommended, but it was the plastic that put me off and your male perspective that really helped too. I do like your reviews

misstasty [sign in to see picture]

The reviews are vital to me when considering perchasing an item, I always read through them. They're one of the things I love most about LH.

OUCH! Thank you ;) [sign in to see picture]

DavidB1986 wrote:

Couldn't have said it better myself

I wouldn't say that someone taking time out of their day to write down their experiences and opinons of a product in the hopes that they might help someone make an informed choice about whether that product may be suitable for them was pointless.

No two experiences can ever be the same for two people, but you might find that your body measurements match reviewer A's and the bra she bought was too big, or you might find that you're a power queen like reviewer b and a certain wand nearly blew her clitoris off.

I don't look at how many times a reviewer orgasmed with a product, I look at the where's and wherefores behind the positive/negative experience they've been nice enough to share.

Spoonerism [sign in to see picture]

+1 for David.

I personally find reviews almost invaluable when toy shopping. I pretty much always have since I started using toys as at the time I was pretty skint and obviously wanted the best bang for my buck, as it were. Reviews, particularly those of experienced reviewers who review outside of retailers sites, played a massive part in whether or not I'd give something a go.

Obviously, it's great to know if a toy is as gorgeous in the flesh as it is in the product pictures, how it feels, what the build quality is like etc. but for me that only constitutes part of a review. If it's this sort of thing that you find almost "pointless" then I kinda get you.

These days I run my own blog/product review site and like to be as descriptive about how a product works (or doesn't work!) with my body as that's the sort of info I'm usually after when I read a review.

Like sleepycelia, I look for things I have in common with the reviewer to determine how relevant their experience might be to mine. (I even added a page to my site with info about myself that I think effects how I my body responds to different toys that my readers might relate to: http://alwaysthelittlespoon.com/about-me/about-my-body/ )

I know not everyone is comfortable with writing in such a level of detail about really personal things like that on the internet... I mean, yeah it's really not for everyone :P

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.