• Ways to feel better?

keith2511 [sign in to see picture]

Is masturbating a good way to make oneself feel better when down (even if it's only for a few minutes)?

Sometimes afterwards it makes me feel worse, does anyone else experience that?

Any other suggestions on how to dispel that feeling in the short term (as I realise I need to make some pretty big changes to address the root cause)?

Thanks

Grace1ess [sign in to see picture]

The release of endorphins into the body after orgasm will always make you feel better. However, when I went through a bad stage of depression years ago that its effect wore off faster eventually making me feel worse the more I did it.

I'm no psychologist but It does work similar to a drug in the sense that the more you rely on it the less its effect is, eventually making you feel worse as you start to see yourself doing it solely to feel better.

You obviously know that you need to make some big changes in your life which you have already stated. As much as I didn't want to listen to a doctor at that time; she was right when the first two things that would instantly improve my mindset was a lot more sleep and exercise.

CutieCurious [sign in to see picture]

Masturbation and sex both release endorphins in your brain, which makes you feel temporarily happy and calm. So, yes, it is a good way to make yourself feel good for a few minutes. Any form of exercise releases endorphins too, so any kind of exercise - even just going for a brisk walk - will produce a similar effect.

If you're feeling down afterwards, it might just be the "crash" effect of suddenly orgasming and then stopping altogether. Try doing some moderate exercise with a gradual cool down afterwards and see if this helps you to avoid the "crash" sensation you're getting from masturbation.

Some people feel worse after masturbation not for a physical reason, but because they feel guilty. If that's the case for you, remember that there's nothing wrong with it and it's actually a very healthy thing to do. It helps relieve stress, it helps combat insomnia, it helps to temporarily relieve pain and it helps to maintain levels of nitric oxide in your body (which helps keep your heart healthy, amongst other things).

keith2511 [sign in to see picture]

Thanks guys. I already exercise regularly so perhaps I'll go for a run after playing. Really appreciate your advice, so thanks again and happy New Year.

CutieCurious [sign in to see picture]

Happy new year to you too, Keith :) I hope any changes you make, makes it a happier one for you.

FrozenAngel [sign in to see picture]

Whenever I'm feeling Blegh, I put on some music (Usually 80's) and dance around the house like a fool. Makes me feel a lot happier!

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.