• Tattoos in pubic area

    1419318072
    sarahkitty [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Captain
    • Posts: 134
    • Joined: 25 Sep 2011

    Neither me or the hubby have any tattoos yet and are not really 'into' them but we have discussed and would both like one in our pubic areas. Has anyone got any experience of this and can anyone help with any info on how easy / hard this is to do please?

    1419326414
    VirginAngel [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: General
    • Posts: 890
    • Joined: 1 Mar 2014

    You'll have to find a tattooist willing to work on such an intimate area, not all will do pubic tattoos. Depending where abouts you want the tattoo you may need to find an artist experienced with the harder to tattoo places like scrotum/labia etc. If it is going on the pubic mound thats a lot more similar to tattooing other places and probably won't need a specialist. Before you go to the studio you'll need it to be clean shaven (the tattooist will likely go over with a razor themselves but it's courtesy to do it yourself first) and you will need to have washed thoroughly beforehand. Remember that lots of tattoo parlours have open tattooing areas where all other customers and browsers in the shop can see, or have shared back rooms where multiple artists work on different people at once, only a few have completely private rooms. It is going to hurt a LOT, being such a sensitive area full of so many nerve endings, it's probably not the best place for a first tattoo. It's well worth remembering no tattoo is perfect, the more you move, the more mistakes there will be, and it can be difficult to keep the skin taut enough for it to be completely smooth lines. You won't be able to shave for around 6 weeks afterwards so if you're not used to hair growth it will be incredibly itchy, on top of the itching from the healing process, and any scratching or pulling off scabs can damage the tattoo. Wearing tight clothing could stick to it, especially if it bleeds. You'll have to undress very carefully and if it is stuck, wet the clothing to ease it off, pulling again could damage the tattoo.

    1419328651
    Grace1ess [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Brigadier
    • Posts: 548
    • Joined: 18 Dec 2012

    I have 2 tattoos either side of my groin and another just slightly above the pubic mound and each was the same as a tattoo anywhere else. Can't say I agree with VA on having to wait 6 weeks to shave as with even terrible aftercare the tattoo will have healed after 7-10 days at which point its fine to shave.

    To help with the aftercare you can either get some specialised stuff or just go to the chemist and pick up some Preperation H ointment which will help with any iching while it heals.

    1419330621
    Lovehoney - Jess Wilde [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 2136
    • Joined: 30 Nov 2012

    sarahkitty wrote:

    Neither me or the hubby have any tattoos yet and are not really 'into' them but we have discussed and would both like one in our pubic areas. Has anyone got any experience of this and can anyone help with any info on how easy / hard this is to do please?

    Hey sarahkitty

    I'm heavily tattooed but don't have anything in my pubic area. Hopefully I can still offer some advice though.

    Depending on where abouts in your pubic area you're planning to have tattooed, will have quite a large impact on the way it feels and heals. Tattoos in this area are pretty common though, so you shouldn't have much trouble finding someone to do it (unless you're planning to get a tattoo near the labia, vaginal opening or penis head).

    Lots of tattoo parlours do have an open plan set up where everyone is in the same room, but obviously you would be booking this ahead of time. Any good tattooist will provide you with privacy so don't panic about a private room or anything like that. Your tattooist will make sure you're comfortable before they begin. Most tattooists have portable screens for modesty during intimate tattoos.

    I would have to disagree with VirginAngel's point about 'no tattoo being perfect'. That's just not the case. If you research what you're getting done and find an excellent tattooist, there's no reason your tattoo shouldn't be perfect. As for moving during the tattoo, unless you have a very low pain threshold I really can't imagine you'll be writhing in pain or moving enough to ruin the tattoo. I always liken getting tattooed to touching moderate sunburn - sore, but not unbearable by any stretch of the imagination. Also the tattooist stretches the skin in the area before tattooing to make sure lines are straight and precise, so please don't worry about this.

    It is a good idea to shave the area before you arrive at the tattooist, but chances are they will do this again for you before they begin tattooing. You will need to avoid shaving for a few weeks after the tattoo, but it will probably only be about 2-3 weeks before you can shave, rather than 6 weeks. Your tattooist will cover the area with cling film straight after the tattoo, so it won't stick to your underwear. By the way, the only time your tattoo should bleed is during tattooing, and just after the procedure. When you take the cling film off you'll have a gooey layer of sebum, blood and sweat in the area. This is totally normal (I call it human soup - gross I know!). You just need to wash this off. If you're cleaning and caring for the tattoo properly, you shouldn't scab or really stick to your undies at all. It might stick for the first day or so while the tattoo is moist, but other than that, the tattoo itself shouldn't stick to anything. You should clean the tattoo with warm soapy water and treat the area regularly with Bepanthen (if you use lanolin based products) or another reputable tattoo aftercare product. Obviously any creams you use can feel a bit gross under clothing, but it isn't going to damage or pull on you tattoo. Don't use Preparation H or Vaseline.

    The most difficult thing about a tattoo in such a central area of your body is bathing. It's probably best to shower (rather than have baths) while the tattoo is healing. You should never submerge a fresh tattoo in water, but running warm water over it is fine. Having said this, don't worry too much about urine (if you're getting tattooed very close to the opening of the vagina or penis) as urine is sterile and can even help healing.

    As far as getting the tattoo done, it should be pretty easy. You would be led down for the procedure and depending on how big the tattoo is, it shouldn't take too long.

    Obviously this is the advice I can give from my knowledge of tattoos in general, but you would be strongly advised to check everything with your tattooist before you book, to make sure you're happy with what you can expect from the tattoo. I can't stress enough how important it is to research your artist, and follow the aftercare instructions they give you to the letter to get the best healing, best looking tattoo. And remember, you get what you pay for, so don't go for the cheap option. To give you a ball park price range, I never pay less than £80 an hour for my tattoos.

    I hope that helps!

    1419330794
    Lovehoney - Jess Wilde [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 2136
    • Joined: 30 Nov 2012

    Grace1ess wrote:

    I have 2 tattoos either side of my groin and another just slightly above the pubic mound and each was the same as a tattoo anywhere else. Can't say I agree with VA on having to wait 6 weeks to shave as with even terrible aftercare the tattoo will have healed after 7-10 days at which point its fine to shave.

    To help with the aftercare you can either get some specialised stuff or just go to the chemist and pick up some Preperation H ointment which will help with any iching while it heals.

    Great advice - except don't use Prep H for tattoos! It dries the skin and encourages scabs, which leads to loss of colour and potentially a patchy tattoo. Bepanthen (Nappy rash cream) is a much better option. I prefer it to most 'specifically formulated tattoo creams'.

    1419331365
    Stuburns [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 1782
    • Joined: 23 Nov 2011

    Bepanthen 👍

    1419332199
    VirginAngel [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: General
    • Posts: 890
    • Joined: 1 Mar 2014

    Guess the guy who did my tattoo messed up then as i have uneven lines and messed up symetry yet he'd been doing it for 30 years own parlour and everything.

    1419333455
    Stuburns [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 1782
    • Joined: 23 Nov 2011

    always check the work the tattooist has done before you have anything done. If there are a few in the shop you may find one that best suits your style of tattoo and ask for that artist. I love all my tattoos and I took my time choosing each one I had done. 70% are done by the same person. The others which are of a different style were done by others who were better at that kind of style.
    Mistakes do happen. My friend has a scorpion with a leg missing. He never went back to get the leg done. If you don't like what the artist has done then say so. If he/she has made a slight mistake and it doesn't look perfect for you then they can always rectify it in some way. Usually they will use a transfer to follow lines and they will first put in the place you want it. It will give you a true idea of size. If you don't think it looks right then say so before they start inking.

    1419333652
    Lovehoney - Jess Wilde [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 2136
    • Joined: 30 Nov 2012

    VirginAngel wrote:

    Guess the guy who did my tattoo messed up then as i have uneven lines and messed up symetry yet he'd been doing it for 30 years own parlour and everything.

    Ah, that's a real shame! Unfortunately years of experience and owning a shop doesn't mean much when it comes to the quality of the tattoo you'll end up with. It's really important to view a full portfolio of someones work before booking with them, to make sure you're happy with it. Plus, you can always ask the tattooist ahead of time if they think it will be a prticualrly difficult area to tattoo. The more questions you ask beforehead, the less likely you are to have any surprises, or be disappointed with the results.

    1419333883
    Lovehoney - Jess Wilde [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 2136
    • Joined: 30 Nov 2012

    Stuburns wrote:

    always check the work the tattooist has done before you have anything done. If there are a few in the shop you may find one that best suits your style of tattoo and ask for that artist. I love all my tattoos and I took my time choosing each one I had done. 70% are done by the same person. The others which are of a different style were done by others who were better at that kind of style.
    Mistakes do happen. My friend has a scorpion with a leg missing. He never went back to get the leg done. If you don't like what the artist has done then say so. If he/she has made a slight mistake and it doesn't look perfect for you then they can always rectify it in some way. Usually they will use a transfer to follow lines and they will first put in the place you want it. It will give you a true idea of size. If you don't think it looks right then say so before they start inking.

    Exactly this!

    VA - have you considered going back to your artist to ask them to touch up the tattoo for you? They should do it for free. Alternatively, if you don't want that tattooist to tattoo you again, you can ask someone else to do it - this may be more tricky though as some tattooists don't like to touch others' work (they'd often rather do a coverup) and you would need to pay for any extra work.

    1419334249
    Grace1ess [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Brigadier
    • Posts: 548
    • Joined: 18 Dec 2012

    VirginAngel wrote:

    Guess the guy who did my tattoo messed up then as i have uneven lines and messed up symetry yet he'd been doing it for 30 years own parlour and everything.

    My first 4 that I got was done by someone similar when I was 16/17 years old and it was the only place you could get a tattoo done for about 30+ miles. In comparison to stuff I had done later his experience counted for nothing :/ They aren't terrible, i've seen far worse but since have seen a whole lot better.

    1419334306
    LittleSwitchBitch [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 2396
    • Joined: 21 Mar 2013

    Lovehoney - Jess wrote:

    Grace1ess wrote:

    I have 2 tattoos either side of my groin and another just slightly above the pubic mound and each was the same as a tattoo anywhere else. Can't say I agree with VA on having to wait 6 weeks to shave as with even terrible aftercare the tattoo will have healed after 7-10 days at which point its fine to shave.

    To help with the aftercare you can either get some specialised stuff or just go to the chemist and pick up some Preperation H ointment which will help with any iching while it heals.

    Great advice - except don't use Prep H for tattoos! It dries the skin and encourages scabs, which leads to loss of colour and potentially a patchy tattoo. Bepanthen (Nappy rash cream) is a much better option. I prefer it to most 'specifically formulated tattoo creams'.

    My OH has got tattooed recently for first time and us using bepanthen too.. It is brilliant and really helping protect it... Also it's quite a thick cream so if u heat it slightly will help spread it better and stop u from dragging to skin x
    1419447085
    Gifted Amateur [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Major
    • Posts: 32
    • Joined: 28 May 2014

    A lot of good points here, some really good advice.

    Bepanthen and coco butter work really well for moisturizing aftercare. Coco butter tends to make you less spotty in my experience as it's a bit lighter in consistency than Bepanthen in texture.

    Tricky area to get done as your first tattoo. I guess overall advice is make sure you are happy with the tattooist and the design, in my experience if you can walk in of the street without an appointment then I'd be suspicious of quality.

    If you do it, it will hurt, but you'll get used to it, try not to resist the process, that actually makes it harder for the tattooist and they actually have to work harder, and your body kind of resists the ink etc, means they have to push harder.

    Also if what you're getting is big, or intricate be prepared for a few sittings. If you start to shake, then stop, you're going into shock. Stop there and start again later.

    1419448708
    Purring-Pussy [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 3171
    • Joined: 11 Jun 2012

    I have one on my pubic mound, didn't hurt at all and it healed really well. I didn't need to take my underwear off, just had to lower them and I was covered with a blue roll of tissue.

    Just do your research for a good artist and definitely use Bepanthan nappy cream.

    1419467106
    Naughty Miss K [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 859
    • Joined: 20 Nov 2012

    Purring-Pussy wrote:

    I have one on my pubic mound, didn't hurt at all and it healed really well. I didn't need to take my underwear off, just had to lower them and I was covered with a blue roll of tissue.

    Just do your research for a good artist and definitely use Bepanthan nappy cream.

    We use liads of blue roll in the lab, so for some reason this picture made me chuckle! I agree with the bepantham, and showers etc. I've only got one, across my back, but did a load of research first! I'd suggest taking a pen to write down aftercare. Mine told me at the end and none of it went in, thankfully I had a friend who was listening!
    1419471233
    johnandkatie [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 3045
    • Joined: 22 Jun 2014

    lots of advice is good as a tattooist myself would b happy to give professional advice to you if you would like good luck

    1419526998
    Blueeyes82 [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 1472
    • Joined: 19 Sep 2010

    I have 10 tattoos, 1 of which is on my bikini line by my leg. It didn't 'hurt' as such but it was my last tattoo I have had done. I have 2 on my feet and going up my legs and having them on my feet was the worst pain from being inked.

    You need to be able to sit really still and it is advised that the more ticklish you are, the more it will hurt.

    I would really consider having a tattoo else where, before going into such a private area, if you can put up with a tattoo being done, on say your inner wrist area, pretty sure you could sit through having one done down below.

    Don't use vaseline, as it doesn't allow your skin to breath and savlon tends to draw the colour out. I used Tattoo Goo, which is specifically made for healing tattoos. I wouldn't shave down below for about 2 weeks, after having it done, let your skin heal first. This is what I did for mine on my legs, I just shaved around the area.

    A good tattooer will be happy to ink down below but for something very personal, get to see who you REALLY prefer. I had a woman do mine, as that is who I was comfortable with 'down there'.

    1419651083
    sarahkitty [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Captain
    • Posts: 134
    • Joined: 25 Sep 2011

    Thanks everyone for the very detailed information and advice. We are both looking to get small tattoos down there, mine on my pubic mound and my hubby's just above his cock, maybe to one side. I'm hoping we can find an artist that has done this kind of work before.

    1419677724
    Blueeyes82 [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 1472
    • Joined: 19 Sep 2010

    You can get a gel that numbs the area, that you put on about 30 mins or so, before having your ink done. To me, I would describe the feeling of being scratched by a cat but if you can occupy your mind, it's much easier to go through.

    When I have bigger tattoos done, I listen to my music through headphones.

    Visit tattoers, ask lots of questions. If you want customer info, join a local facebook town group (for me, it it wokingham gossip girls) and ask if anyone has been to x, y, z tattoists or who they would reccommend. It takes me about a year to 18 months to decide on what I want and it's fine to take y our time. A good artist won't mind you coming in and out, asking questions, they will be happy to accomodate you. I always find the sign of a bad artist is being impatient and won't help.

    Post a reply to this thread

    Please sign in to post messages to the forum.