• A boring life in a boring town

LauraP [sign in to see picture]

Everyone I seem to speak to has nothing positive to say about their home town beyond pointing out a couple of local things worth seeing. Mostly they moan about how boring it is.

So I got to wondering whether every town in England is genuinely boring or whether I just know alot of boring people.

My home town is Swindon and I have a misguided affection for it. Yes its famous for having a shite football team, a traffic control device landed with the daft moniker "The Magic Roundabout" and being the home of Billie Piper (Secret Diaries of a Call Girl/Dr Who) but there's some lesser known bits.

As some of you know I've got a bit of a history of depression and self harm and haven't been too well lately so for my own sanity I've been playing the Pollyanna "Glad Game"

I'm Glad I have Lydiard Park 5 minutes walk away. I'll let you google it but its gorgeous and where I escape to when it all gets a bit too much.

Thought I'd share and well I've gone a bit of a ramble. Apologies! 

rubysoho [sign in to see picture]

i think for most people its a definite case of ' the grass is always greener'

i live in a SLEEPY  small village in cambridgeshire , theres NOTHING  to do here aside from the 2 pubs where i could if i so desired go & get stared at all night by chavs untill i give in and leave :/

theres minimal public transport , as i dont drive this is an issue , and 90% OF MY FRIENDS LIVE A GOOD HOUR DRIVE AWAY IF NOT MORE grrrrr .  thank god for the internet lol

positives .. umm ...  it has some pretty firlds nearby an a couple of woods for walks .. though theyre far enough out that its advosable to drive there or youd be knackered by the time youd walked there an back let alone through the woods haha !

umm if youre into bird watching theres a family of red kites in the village who are ALWAYS flying about low in clear visibility . thats .. err about it !

Cheeky Chica [sign in to see picture]

I've just recently moved to my small town in Somerset and so far I love it. The location's good, my neighbours are very nice. Don't know much about the surrounding area yet, but so far, I love it here! 

Badger73 [sign in to see picture]

Magic roundabout, in 3 years I have been throught it about 3 times I hate it. We sometimes go to coate water or cricklade railway. Strawberry picking at lotmead farm if the weather is good.

Cheeky Chica [sign in to see picture]

I think generally where ever you come from will bore you eventually, but for most people it is home no matter how bad it gets.

So true, even though I've not been there in a long time, the town where I grew up in Lanarkshire will always be home and it's become a right ______hole! 

MandiVonSweiss [sign in to see picture]

rubysoho wrote:

i live in a SLEEPY  small village in cambridgeshire , theres NOTHING  to do here aside from the 2 pubs where i could if i so desired go & get stared at all night by chavs untill i give in and leave :/

I hear you on this one! I'm in Downham Market and I must say Cambridgeshire is quite an odd place!

FrozenAngel [sign in to see picture]

I think it could be also how you choose to spend your time.

I consider it boring where I am, but that may be because I'm a hermit? The neighbours all seem very nice, but we don't actually talk to each other, there's the occasional nod or polite hello whilst we're passing.

However it's quite a snobby area, The people here are generally weathly and have no shame what so ever in how they talk to other people! I had a friend come over once and she couldn't get into the front gates because they're atleast 8ft high, she forgot her mobile and I had my music blaring upstairs so I couldn't hear her calling from the gate. So she asked a passer by if we had a telephone box, he looked her up and down, stuck his nose in the air and said "Oh please, we don't have those monstrosities around here" And walked off! it beggers belief, if you don't look the part from them they look down on you and speak to you like you're a piece of crap.

We have two little pubs at the end of the road, but in all honesty I've never been to either of them. When I went out I always went clubbing in Manchester (A long time ago)

Now I generally have BBQs with mates in the back garden, due to my sons disabilities he can't handle the 'outside' world so we tend to stay in doors most times.

So to me it's a little boring, but it's enjoyable if that makes sense? I enjoy not having people being noisy at 1am on a Friday outside my house, I enjoy not being bothered by the neighbours and no one knows my buisness, and I enjoy just sitting in the garden reading a book or watching a movie on the TV. And I really enjoy my son being able to play out in the garden without worrying about him.

Though if I could, I'd totally move somewhere warmer, prefrably with a pool in the garden lol!

mrs average [sign in to see picture]

I live in quite a busy and self contained town in Derbyshire and I personally love it. I live only 20 minutes drive from either Nottingham or Derby and yet only 10 minutes drive from the countryside.
    We have good transport links and I live near a large park and most things are walking distance from my house.
    There are loads of people who live here who have the "grass is greener" syndrome and allways pull it down, and blame everything and everyone for how rubbish it is.
    Where ever you live there will always be the 'it's not as good as it used to be' brigade pointing out the factories and shops that have closed, and the fields and parks that have been built on.
    I know a lot of people have the attitude of "I don't love my town because it's a hole or a dive". But I'm of the attitude that maybe the town you live in is a dive because no body loves it.

chylly fox [sign in to see picture]

The town I'm from's claim to fame.... is their brass band getting to number one in the hit parade..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElnCI1fkfFM

rubysoho [sign in to see picture]

MandiVonSweiss wrote:

rubysoho wrote:

I hear you on this one! I'm in Downham Market and I must say Cambridgeshire is quite an odd place!

ahh ihave friends who go there quite a bit :) and yes . cambs is full of wierdies :)

lookslikefun [sign in to see picture]

I live in small town Germany just outside Munich.

It's that mixture of big enough to have what you need day to day, but small enough to be doable on a bike.  A few little parks / play areas have rescued many a weekend and there are a couple of swimmable lakes in the town boundaries too.  It's a new town, a bit anonymous ,but a good place to bring kids up, and Munich is only a 20 minute train ride away for bigger wilder evenings-out. We're looking at you Oktoberfest!

So at home here, but Home is still my village in England.

LauraP [sign in to see picture]

Glad I'm not alone! The inspiration for the title of this was a song by Less than Jake. I had been going through my teenaged albums and generally feeling a bit old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r5M9qod37g

Lollipop ;) [sign in to see picture]

I live in London City so it's not boring at all! Always something to do or something going on. :D

Lady Ness [sign in to see picture]

I'm always finding out new things about the place where I live and it's surrounding. We are a very tourist place, and actually I ended up having to study it a lot during school and in courses around Leisure and Tourism.

Things which are known worlwide: we use to produce the best crab... this has led to many jokes.

The person who invented the Dyson came from around here.

Many famous writers visited here, Jane Austen, Wilde, Stephen Fry, and more.

There's an erotic book based on the town I grew up in.

About two towns away, we have some of the biggest BDSM meet-ups.

We have a popular surfing spot which people travel from all over to surf at.

We have some famous actors from around here, stephen fry, a few of the Harry Potter cast, and a women who was the second choice for Lara Croft who looks scarily a like the character.

Yet while there's lot's of interesting history facts etc, the place itself isn't very lively (They need to up their Leisure and Tourism, haha, but also fear the internet ruining local business).

We have a local club / bar, which changed ownership every 6 months, meaning it often is out of service through the winter, as the new owner changes things - this is actually annoying.

We just got a Lidl's that's exciting right?

innocent-on-the-outside [sign in to see picture]

I love my home town! 

right between London and brighton so its easy to visit then by train. just the right size so I can walk from one side to the other without too much trouble, a good range of shops, and within easy reach of the countryside and some lovely national trust places! 

I dont think there are any clubs/bars in the town itself but there are a number so pubs scattered around and you van always take a quick train to brighton - I'm not so keen on clubs so it doesnt bother me but I know some of my peers were complaining!

scarab9 [sign in to see picture]

I live on a small town in Yorkshire. I love it! most people there seem happy and lots that do move away return. the only downside is that a lot of teenagers find the 'everyone know who you are' thing difficult so trend to leave for a few years s soon as they can.
    there's another small town that's just down the road (6 miles and on the train line) which has a history of being a hippy and lesbian haven and so the two Towns have a fantastic creative scene (music, art etc), a great community feel, lots of community events and volunteer stuff going on. there's fantastic old school pubs mixed in worry Bohemian type places, always live music on. the knob heads (there's always some...) all flock to the sameplaces so the rest of town is knob head free. the people are very friendly and sociable and you can't leave the house withut meeting people who are happy to chat our join you for a drink. it's also a beautiful town in a small, steep sided valley, surrounded by stunning scenery. if you take a short walk up the hill in Amy direction you're in the middle of nowhere. lots of outdoors y types.
    basically one of the best places every :-)

killerbunny [sign in to see picture]

Lollipop ;) wrote:

I live in London City so it's not boring at all! Always something to do or something going on. :D

Lucky you! I wish I lived in London City. 

brockleyfox [sign in to see picture]

I also live in London, but we have a slightly different problem. There is always so much going on most of it passes you by. Also, although seems like one big generic city, it is actually lots of little town and villages that have grown into each other.  The one I live in, has no nice litte pubs or bars to go to. So if I want to have a pint or meet friends in a trendy bar or cafe, I need to travel to a different town. Granted that different town us onlyn10 mins away! And often buy bus which is every 5 mins.... 

Edit - I should also say that in London we most go from home to work to home again. So, a bit boring.

Mr Socks [sign in to see picture]

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

"[Town Name] is a pretty town, A church without a steeple,

A midden heap in every street, and damned deceitful people."

Ah, I did part of my training near where you live. Used to drive down on days off, having a wander up the beach and a look at some of the landmarks. 

Think the poem isn't quite right though…

[suspended user]

suspended user

ive lived in a village for 2 years 2 bars one of which I cant go in cos the owner molested my daughter.............boring as hell but life is what you make of it, generally have a good time.

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.