• Crossbred dogs?

naughtywildfun90 [sign in to see picture]

We have a staffy cross lab and hes the stupidest thing ive ever met!, He doesnt bark and gets excited if somebody so much as walks past the house! hes never had any wierd quirks or anything hes just s bit dopy lol. About a month ago my OH came home after being at the dogs home and instantly said "were getting another dog" 

The new dog "bailey" is a staff cross husky, absolutely beautiful dog but has fast turned into the new "stupidest thing ive ever met" He also doesnt bark :-D but he has so many little quirks. As he was from the dogs home we have no clue of his background but when we let the dogs into the back garden they play beautifully then when its time to come in bailey stands at the door as if he doesnt know hes allowed back in. Also he wont play with my partner and when my partner raised his voice the other day bailey started shaking uncontrolably. When he does play its only with me and he nibbles, it doesnt hurt but he feels he has to nibble me, my hands arms, clothes.

Anyone else have a cross breed with wierd quirks? xx

QueenC [sign in to see picture]

naughtywildfun90 wrote:

when its time to come in bailey stands at the door as if he doesnt know hes allowed back in. Also he wont play with my partner and when my partner raised his voice the other day bailey started shaking uncontrolably.

I'm guessing he is a rescue? Be very careful and patient with him, he sounds like he's scared of men. I've got a rescue dog and we first got him, he was most shy little thing around people he didn't know, and men. He was beaten by his male owner who then abandoned him and when we got him,  if my dad so much as lifted his arms up in the air, the pup would cower and hide behind something. He is SO much better now and you wouldn't guess it's the same dog.

The nibbling thing is normal as well, especially if he's a puppy. My dog is really clever (..as clever as a dog can be...I sound like a crazy person) and never fails to cheer me up :) He's grown to really love my sisters boyfriend, and (I sound even more crazy...) copies him by making noises. If her boyfriend calls him, he makes a kind of yawning noise, and if he laughs, the dog will make a noise as well. The other day, her boyfriend shouted "oooouuuchhh" loudly, and the dog ran over and howled. What a cutie. 

Alicia D'amore [sign in to see picture]

some of the weird quirks you've mentioned are staffy traits - staffs aren't very vocal and ours can be a bit sensitive but then she was also from the dogs trust so don't know her background. Our staff also nibbles affectionately!

lilac_vix [sign in to see picture]

I had two staffies that used to sit under the telephone and howl when it rang! lol

I would agree its more of an abused dog thing than a cross breed thing. 

PurringTiger [sign in to see picture]

It very much sounds like he was abused by a man and part of his abuse was been left outside and not allowed in the house. Encouraging him with a treat when it's time to come in, standing inside a few feet away holding the treat out and telling him it's ok will help to remove that fear over time.

With your partner the best thing he can do is start with very small gestures towards him. Silently giving him treats and very gently,slowly and carefully giving him a fussing stroke after each treat. No sharp movements is key so the dog can see and watch and know he's safe. When he seems comfortable with this then get your partner to start talking to him quietly when giving him treats and gradually - every few days let his voice become louder when doing so. The aim is that the dog gets used to his voice been louder but doesn't associate it with abuse and if he's getting treats whilst your partner is fussing him and talking to him then it will help to remove & appease the fear he has of loud male voices. It will take some patience and time but he will come around if you work at it together.

ghostgirl [sign in to see picture]

Agree it isnt a crossbred issue more a resue thing. I have a purebred collie, completely nuts. When my partner moved in we made sure the dog accepted him by changing the feeding routine. The only person who fed him for the first couple of months was my OH. He now goes to him first for attention

Another thought on the nibbling, yelp when the dog does it. That is how littermates would let a pup know that playing has got out of hand and it works.

xGGx

Imogen [sign in to see picture]

ghostgirl wrote:

Another thought on the nibbling, yelp when the dog does it. That is how littermates would let a pup know that playing has got out of hand and it works.

xGGx

I've done this with other animals and it really does seem to work, as you're making a noise that the animal recognises as distress.  For instance, when we were training our rats not to bite while we were handling them, we would make a squeaking noise every time they nibbled and they very quickly realised it wasn't a nice thing to do.  They're just doing what all babies do though, having a chew on something to see what it is.

Jimi Duro [sign in to see picture]

There are just some breeds of dog which should never be crossed... there are many pathetic examples out there

naughtywildfun90 [sign in to see picture]

Thanks everyone. We never push or kck him out of the door i just crouch (so im at his level) here for a good 5 or 10 ten mins freezing my ass off  going "come on, its ok" we had assumed he was probably kept outside. 

My OH tries to play he just doesnt do anything except lie down in a submissive position xx

[suspended user]

suspended user

naughtywildfun90 wrote:

Thanks everyone. We never push or kck him out of the door i just crouch (so im at his level) here for a good 5 or 10 ten mins freezing my ass off  going "come on, its ok" we had assumed he was probably kept outside. 

My OH tries to play he just doesnt do anything except lie down in a submissive position xx

tickle his stomach

Heatseekher [sign in to see picture]

Quirky dogs - yeah we've had a few, over the past 12 yrs we've had 9 rescues and have 5 right now.

in that time we've had one that would climb ( yes climb not jump ) a 6'6 fence and sit in the pub next door waiting for us to come home.

one that believes teh aga should be on year round and sits in front of it hoping we'll turn it on.

one that was found by a motorway in a box - so he barks at evrry passing car and especially hates lorries.

a deerhound that doesnt understand play and basically throws a strop if any of the others are running round teh garden with me.

and JJ's fav.....who wouldnt like me giving JJ a cuddle and would try and get between us, occasionally bark to warn me off.

all ours are lurchers, so technically crossbred but not real 'mixers'.....

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.