• When did a size 14 become extra large?

Despina Rose [sign in to see picture]

What gets me is that they usually do small, med, large, extra large etc etc. Not usually xxxs, xxs, xs, s etc.

cheekylilmonkey [sign in to see picture]

well said girls! i think we should be a letter like we are bra cups haha only kidding that would confuse us even more, but still i feel very offended by this aswell

xx

Janny [sign in to see picture]

I work with a girl and she was shocked to see that on the label on your Levis or any jeans, that sits just over your right bumcheek, it tells the size. Does this not happen on female jeans?? Made me laugh :)

Jodie_Tot [sign in to see picture]

I was always under the assumption that size 14 was national average also. I think it's depending on where you buy from.. One stores size 14 may be different to another stores size 14. Frustrating. But I agree, labelling large, extra large etc doesn't always give an ego boost. Depending on how you feel about yourself and how you see yourself in the mirror you can look sexy no matter what a label in your knickers says ;)

Xxx

Midnightlou [sign in to see picture]

I cut the labels out my clothes!! I also try to only shop in shops which I will feel most comfortable in, my boyfriend bought me a super dry jacket in medium and I nearly cried cause it made me feel big, it has a huge impact on confidence and I hate the whole trying clothes on element of shopping, only part I'm comfortable with is buying bras and knickers. That's even just being a size 8!!!!

But remember ladies the average uk size is 14! And Marilyn Monroe was a 16!

ilikepussy [sign in to see picture]

The average size in Britain is definately not 14. Just look at what sizes are the first to go in shops eg Asda. Victoria bloody beckam had a lot to answer for. I am a guy writing this. a women with the right curves is sexy. Vic beckam is not cute ir sexy. Nigella Lawson is sexy. .

Fluffbags [sign in to see picture]

ilikepussy wrote:

The average size in Britain is definately not 14. Just look at what sizes are the first to go in shops eg Asda. Victoria bloody beckam had a lot to answer for. I am a guy writing this. a women with the right curves is sexy. Vic beckam is not cute ir sexy. Nigella Lawson is sexy. .

What do you mean? The first sizes to sell out are usually 12 and 14. From my experience anyway, I am a 12/14 and they are always bloody sold out of my size and left with size 6's on the shelves lol.

Plus whenever shops have a sale at the end of the season it is usually selling off older stock lines that is left over. It is usually size 6/8 and 16/18 that they generally have more of and the 12's and 14's are gone...again in my experience x

Plus I used to work in John Lewis and M+Co and a few others for short times and they always ordered in extra 12's and 14's from what I recall

Unless its gone up or down in the last 5 years?

maltedmilk [sign in to see picture]

It doesn't bother me. It annoys me that they call it an XL etc when a 10 or whatever is not large, I prefer sizes in numbers but buy what fits. Lots of women will refuse to buy something in a bigger size and I think it's silly. Measure yourself!! Shops use different sizing patterns and lie about sizes, have tighter or roomier shops. It's annoying that they do but it just means you have to try it on and hope for the best. No point getting upset about your dress size, unless your body size upsets you..then fix that, be upset by that. Also average size is the size most people are wearing. We all have different shapes, sizes, weights, measurements, height...

People offend me badly when they say I'm skinny (because skinny IS an offensive word! Slim I don't mind, though don't particularly like hearing) I want to be bigger. I want big boobies and a huuuuuge bottom and very wide hips with a small curvy waist....I thought all women wanted to be like this? But they don't!!! So there is no right or wrong (unless you're overweight or underweight to the point where it will danger your health obviously) there is only perception.

Honeytongue [sign in to see picture]

What size you are doesn't really matter. I am a 12 - 14. I am obese according to the Dr. I am absolutely sexy and beautiful. Clothes sizes only matter in as far as helping you to choose what might fit best to try on.

maltedmilk [sign in to see picture]

^^^ exactly! Xx

Midnightlou wrote:

I cut the labels out my clothes!! I also try to only shop in shops which I will feel most comfortable in, my boyfriend bought me a super dry jacket in medium and I nearly cried cause it made me feel big, it has a huge impact on confidence and I hate the whole trying clothes on element of shopping, only part I'm comfortable with is buying bras and knickers. That's even just being a size 8!!!!

But remember ladies the average uk size is 14! And Marilyn Monroe was a 16!

Marilyn Monroe was not a size 16. Sorry but she wasn't. Sizes have gone up so what was a size 12 then is actually a size 6 now. Marilyn Monroes measurements according to her dress maker: Height: 5 feet, 5½ inches

Weight: 118-140 pounds
    Bust: 35-37 inches
    Waist: 22-23 inches
    Hips: 35-36 inches
    Bra size: 36D

The key part is her waist size, size 4-6 waist size is around 24-26, bigger than Marilyn Monroe. However, a size 16 has a waist size of around 33-34. Clothes were cut very different then, with emphasis on an hourglass figure.

FoxyStoat [sign in to see picture]

T-shirts come in three sizes for men

Small

Medium

Dart Player

FoxyStoat wrote:

Small

Medium

Dart Player

can I use the line? Can I? Can I?......

Men have it sooooooooo easy!

>>>>>> runs

Ork wrote:

Fluffbags wrote:

FoxyStoat wrote:

Small

Medium

Dart Player

can I use the line? Can I? Can I?......

Men have it sooooooooo easy!

>>>>>> runs

Men have it easy because we're not running around getting upset and crying about nothing :P

Oh shush you know this is only true .....until it comes to this line:

"Hunni....I think my exes penis was slightly bigger than yo......what do you mean you are leaving???"

Or this:

"Hunni why dont you just stop and ASK for directions..... Ok I will walk."

Or:

"Is it in yet?"

Yes that is a mass debate for another day my friend...

FoxyStoat [sign in to see picture]

It is easier being a man.Makeup for a start.

We men look at women and just thank the lord it isn't something we ever have to worry about. Ever notice how women carry a bag full of "just in case stuff" around with them.

I don't even carry a wallet.....just an observation on differences between the sexes....

Great heavens to Betsy....keep calm and carry on....

FoxyStoat wrote:

It is easier being a man.Makeup for a start.

We men look at women and just thank the lord it isn't something we ever have to worry about. Ever notice how women carry a bag full of "just in case stuff" around with them.

I don't even carry a wallet.....just an observation on differences between the sexes....

Great heavens to Betsy....keep calm and carry on....

Thing is though that society deems it attractive for women to take care of their apperances. Most men appreciate a woman with smooth legs & underarms, plucked eyebrows, make up, sexy underwear and heels.

Cat Lady [sign in to see picture]

It's hard to make a difference when you disagree with the majority though, unless you do it in a confrontational way. And you run the risk of being labelled weird or unpopular and all those other things. I really hate the ultra-groomed thing. I can't do it, nor can I pull off sexy. And I'm not girly at all. I probably don't take anywhere near as good care of myself as I should but it rarely improves my body image and doesn't get me male attention if I do bother so I don't see much point! But I know people outside of LH will judge me for saying that so I don't say it too often - I have frequently had people express shock when I wont spend loads of money on fancy underwear and stuff like that. Hopefully people here will be kind enough not to judge me!

I thought the average size range for women was 12-14 to be honest. I too often find myself left out in sales because it can be a pain to find clothes in my sizes (12 top, 10 or 12 bottom) because they are sold out and it's usually the 8s or the 16s or above sizes that are left.

And yes, I find it puzzling when sometimes 12 is large. I don't think it was all that long when I was a 14 and 16 was officially large and 12 medium. Stupid media/fashion trying to give us body issues.

Janny [sign in to see picture]

I understand female bra/underwear sizes, but never had a clue how to read clothes sizes. And then, apparently, you can be a 14 in Top Shop but a 12 in Zara and so on... Think the whole system is designed so men won't buy ther OHs lots of unwanted clothes for x-mas haha

I know that two of my size 12 trousers have 6 inches difference between the waist sizes!

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.