• When did a size 14 become extra large?

TheXLSize14:( [sign in to see picture]

"Christ, no wonder women (OK, me right now) feel bad about their size. Since when did a size 14 become XL?

If Lovehoney.co.uk are going to put standard UK sizes next to their arbitrary sizes why not spare us the XL tag and just put 14?

I won't ask want the hell do the rest of the population 16 and upwards meant to wear. Or god forbid, what they call them."

... this ended up being my facebook status this morning because after browsing online I found that, despite losing weight, I am still considered extra large. There were some lovely responses from friends. Some well-meaning men chipping in that most men prefer curves and nobody likes a stick.

Whether men like curves or not, women shouldn't have to be labelled XL - *EXTRA* large - (yeah that whole other level of fatness to the size 12 'large' arses) when ordering underwear. It sure as hell isn't conducive to making anyone feel sexy, which I feel is probably the whole point to the bloody underwear in the first chuffing place.

Someone suggested I let Lovehoney know how I feel. That despite wanting to buy underwear this morning - and finding something fabulous - I was put off because of their sizing language.

I have since ate salad. I hate myself for that.

mrs average [sign in to see picture]

I noticed that I'm a 14/16 and 5'8" and felt a right fatty at the thought of being classed as XXL.

TheXLSize14:( [sign in to see picture]

Well Mrs Average - you look perfectly fine in your picture - assuming that's you!

mrs average [sign in to see picture]

TheXLSize14:( wrote:

Well Mrs Average - you look perfectly fine in your picture - assuming that's you!

Aww thanks hun, yes all me but in a good corsett. We shaln't get a complex about it though will we, Size is like age, relative and just a number.

GillyJam747 [sign in to see picture]

It is ridiculous what is classed as 'fat' nowadays. I had a bit of a rant to my friends about this recently, as it happens. I came across a site showing the most popular/funnies/whatever "plus size" women in todays entertainment a while ago (I can post the link if people would like?), which had an image of Kate Winslet of all people. It said "Kate Winslet has recently been reported to be a size 10." Now, after a quick research, I discovered that the national average in 2012 was a 16. How is it that 'plus size' is way under the average?! It makes no sense!

TTurtle [sign in to see picture]

Ork wrote:

It's a size and a bunch of letters/numbers, etc it only really holds the power someone give's it... and speaking generally women turn size numbers in to super powerful things, it's only as big a problem to you as you let it be.

I agree with this in that it's symantics, but I can understand how the label *extra* large would be offensive however you might placing your blame in the wrong place and I'll explain why -
    In 99% of clothing I'm a large, however when I shop at superdry or Hollister I'm labelled as an extra large - taking a tiny bit of offense to this myself thinking "oh so they only want skinny people wearing their clothes do they!" I googled as to why these brands come up smaller than the rest - truth is they AREN'T smaller, they are actually *correct* - superdry and hollister follow the ISO specifications for clothing whereas other brands, say Burton, New Look or whatever actually label their XL size as a L to make consumers feel good about themselves and will return to these shops 'cuz they don't make me feel fat', there are no laws saying you must follow the exact ISO specs so most places are actually the ones taking the mick - and that actually gave me a new found respect for supedry and hollister for essentially telling the truth. Whether lovehoney also follow the proper guidlines or not I don't know but it would be worth investigating and if they do then direct your hate towards the ISO instead as yes, size 14 is awful as being labelled XL.

Fluffbags [sign in to see picture]

I think the national average in the UK is 12/14 (Which is what I am) and yeh, clicking on "buy extra large" feels a bit like a kick in the teeth. I dont really have much issues with my body. I have areas I dont like, but I dont think I am overweight at all so I guess it doesnt really bother me so much but...

I do wonder about the young girls going through puberty, developing curves and having to buy new underwear only to discover they are an "extra large"

Curves have always been around and even celebrated so how on earth the standard label sizing came into place attributing normal female curves as "large" and "extra large" or worse, I have no idea. Even a size 10 is classed as medium..its like saying "hey, your verging on a lard arse there" at size 10....10!!! lol

But LH are just following in line with everyone else. Its not as if I am an extra large here and a small anywhere else.

TT: That would massively explain why I am different sizes in different shops and dont know anymore, am I a 12? am I a 14? 16? come on! lol

-Chelsea [sign in to see picture]

Oh my goodness, please don't be offended!! :(

We do try to be as consistent as possible with our sizing but some will vary due to the manufacturer we use and thus what is considered an 'extra large' in one product, may only apply to that specific range as I know some of our size 14's are also a m/l.

I am a size 8 and you think that would be pretty consistent wherever you go but no.. I was shopping in H and M the other day and I honestly couldn't even get a size 12 to do up and I was like.. 'what the chuff is going on here then?!'

It's a nightmare being a woman these days as it is all to do with the cut and the manufacturer as I said but that is why we have our snazzy sizing guides underneath as well as the labels and numbers next to the pictures. I will of course, pass your feedback, on but I hope what I said has made sense and reassured you a little.

Ps now go and get a biscuit.!! With chocolate on. And maybe a cup of tea.

C :-)

Lovehoney - Chelsea wrote:

Oh my goodness, please don't be offended!! :(

We do try to be as consistent as possible with our sizing but some will vary due to the manufacturer we use and thus what is considered an 'extra large' in one product, may only apply to that specific range as I know some of our size 14's are also a m/l.

I am a size 8 and you think that would be pretty consistent wherever you go but no.. I was shopping in H and M the other day and I honestly couldn't even get a size 12 to do up and I was like.. 'what the chuff is going on here then?!'

It's a nightmare being a woman these days as it is all to do with the cut and the manufacturer as I said but that is why we have our snazzy sizing guides underneath as well as the labels and numbers next to the pictures. I will of course, pass your feedback, on but I hope what I said has made sense and reassured you a little.

Ps now go and get a biscuit.!! With chocolate on. And maybe a cup of tea.

C :-)

This is true in that at least LH will give you the size printed on the label by the manufacturer and then tell you "this will fit a size 12-14" and gives you measurements in inches where possible too. So at least you have a better idea which size will fit you while you sob into your brew lol

Ork wrote:

I think people may want to check the difference between size, and weight :P not the same thing last time I checked, which I think seems to be where all the issues are coming from.

In general Ork society, the bigger it is the better it is!

Let me explain. of course I do realise size and weight are different but when I mentioned weight I was referring to how the size labels make you feel.

So, I know I am not really overweight, but when I have to buy an extra large I feel like they are telling me a huge lard arse x

Fluffbags wrote:

Ork wrote:

I think people may want to check the difference between size, and weight :P not the same thing last time I checked, which I think seems to be where all the issues are coming from.

In general Ork society, the bigger it is the better it is!

Let me explain. of course I do realise size and weight are different but when I mentioned weight I was referring to how the size labels make you feel.

So, I know I am not really overweight, but when I have to buy an extra large I feel like they are telling me a huge lard arse x

I tend to look less at the label and how it looks on me really, some clothes that fit me perfectly make me look like a right prat whereas others that maybe slighty too big or small I look like a boss, comes down a lot to the colour, black and blue suit me whereas greens and reds I look silly..but then I'm a guy haha

KebertXela [sign in to see picture]

See, this is why men are awesome.

I can get my tape measure out and check if t really is a 36" waist.

KebertXela wrote:

See, this is why men are awesome.

I can get my tape measure out and check if t really is a 36" waist.

I don't think that's men being awesome..I think thats the clothes manufacturers ;) I'm not sure why men's trousers are done in inches and womens done in sizes..can any one enlighten me?

ghostgirl [sign in to see picture]

I do wonder about the young girls going through puberty, developing curves and having to buy new underwear only to discover they are an "extra large"

My just turned 9 year old has already decided that she is fat, she isn't she is a normal size and weight for her height and age. So many images in magazines and tv show skinny as good and curves as not good - personally as long as I can get into my clothes I am happy and we do not have a set of scales in the house.

xGGx

Faith987uk [sign in to see picture]

If the size lable ever gets you down do what I do, cut it out.

Im on average a 14 but depending where I shop I buy clothes ranging from a 12 up to an 18.

ZombieCpl [sign in to see picture]

Unfortunately I think some people confuse the national average as being 'not fat'. The average body size is simply the body size that more women conform to than other body sizes. If the average is 16, it doesnt mean that 16 isnt fat, it just means that more women are 16 than any other size. This also doesnt mean that size 16 is the natural human size.

Unfortunately clothing sizes vary everywhere. I am a size ten according to most clothing charts but in H&M I am 14 and in Matalan I am an 8.

Size also depends on height. I am 5 ft 8 so a size 10-14 looks normal on me but would look a lot bigger on somebody of 5 ft 2.

I personally feel that eating well is important, as is excersising and leading a healthy lifestyle. Its certainly not healthy to teach our children that skinny and starved is better, its certainly not healthy to teach them that its ok to be too big because its the national average or because being anorexic is unhealthy.

lovable_Rogue [sign in to see picture]

I get very irritated by this when I'm applying for castings. Having over indulged at Christmas I tend to be drawn to listings called 'Plus size model needed' only to open it up and find they're after size 10-12 women. Even in model terms this is not plus size because most of the professional posting for plus size models are after size 14/16 upwards. Making it a massive pain for someone like me who is size 12. Not a single person wants to hire the 'average' woman to model their clothes. Lacks any sense to me!!

ZombieCpl wrote:

Unfortunately I think some people confuse the national average as being 'not fat'. The average body size is simply the body size that more women conform to than other body sizes. If the average is 16, it doesnt mean that 16 isnt fat, it just means that more women are 16 than any other size. This also doesnt mean that size 16 is the natural human size.

Unfortunately clothing sizes vary everywhere. I am a size ten according to most clothing charts but in H&M I am 14 and in Matalan I am an 8.

Size also depends on height. I am 5 ft 8 so a size 10-14 looks normal on me but would look a lot bigger on somebody of 5 ft 2.

I personally feel that eating well is important, as is excersising and leading a healthy lifestyle. Its certainly not healthy to teach our children that skinny and starved is better, its certainly not healthy to teach them that its ok to be too big because its the national average or because being anorexic is unhealthy.

Agreed for the most part. If the national average was, say 26 or 28 then maybe we could say yeh, the national average is overweight or fat or whatever label.

However I want to clarify that I said the national average in the UK is about 12 or 14 which in my opinion isnt, and never will be fat, wether you are 5 ft 0 or 6ft 8. and in so labelling clothes as "extra large" for a size 12/14 in my opinion again, is giving young women more body complexes they do not need to have. Considering that these two sizes are about average for healthy females (Yes you can also be a healthy size 6 or 18 etc) but considering that 12/14 is about average, and that it for the most part, being a size 12 or 14 is not a health risk and is pretty healthy if you ask me. Shouldnt we base clothing size 12/14 as being "medium" Seeing as it is the healthy median, and not call it "extra large"

I guess thats my point. I tend not to bother about what size it is as long as it fits and as long as I am a "healthy" weight. I think most people know what is healthy weight and what is damaging you,

I know we all see these words of warning going around saying if your BMI is over this amount you are overweight and if you are over this size you are damaging your body. This is true, but is taken too literally and too far. In other words its unlikely that a size 14 woman is being rushed into hospital after having a heart attack based on obesity related illnesses. Plus we all know that rugbu players have off the charts BMI indexes and probably wear XXXL tee shirts but they are considerably more healthy than most.

lovable_Rogue wrote:

I get very irritated by this when I'm applying for castings. Having over indulged at Christmas I tend to be drawn to listings called 'Plus size model needed' only to open it up and find they're after size 10-12 women. Even in model terms this is not plus size because most of the professional posting for plus size models are after size 14/16 upwards. Making it a massive pain for someone like me who is size 12. Not a single person wants to hire the 'average' woman to model their clothes. Lacks any sense to me!!

LOL! Bizarre. I guess to model "normal" size you need to be size 10 and under and to model "plus" size you need to be over a size 16 therefore magazines and tv etc are essentially cutting out the vast and average middle ground norm! Meh, and we wonder why we get complexes! hehe

FoxyStoat [sign in to see picture]

I'm a large and so accomodating is my wife !

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.