• Lingerie as outerwear / layering lingerie

Lovehoney - Sammi Cole [sign in to see picture]

Vanessa8 wrote:

Wanted to start a thread because I am looking for your examples, ideas and suggestions on how you incorporate lingerie as outwear / part of a fashionable look?

There are times I wish I could find more ways to wear my amazing lingerie in a subtle way as part of an outfit suitable for public.

My first experiment with this was wearing my Lovehoney lace racerback minidress as a shirt layered over a black bra with a jacket over it.

Hi Vanessa8,

I think wearing bodies and teddied tucked into jeans or a skater skirt is a simple and sexy way to do the underwear-as-outerwear trend, or harness bras that show a little bit of strapping above the neckline of a top looks super-sexy, too!

Cami tops also look great if you wear them layered under a blazer or smart jacket, particularly if you get a sliky satin one, or one with a lace trim, because it gives the impression of lingerie without leaving you feeling too exposed, and as RosyCheeks said, a longline bra with a highwaisted skirt always looks great.

Slip dresses can be a bit of a tricky one as a lot of the time, they can look like you just wandered out in youy pyjamas, but I've got a black one that's quite simple with just a lace trim that I wear with a denim jacket and ankle boots to dress it down and balance the dressy/casual look. Also, kimonos and robes are a sexier alternative to traditional cardigans or cover-ups, particularly for a night out - I love the Flaunt Me Lace Robe for exactly that reason. 

We've got some great underwear-as-outerwear shots on the Lovehoney Lingerie Instagram account, too, if you're looking for a little more inspiration. 

Caliente [sign in to see picture]

I love this thread. Being of a full(ish) saggy(ish) bust, I don't feel confident going out without a bra on.This means so many beautiful backless dresses are out of the question for me. I don't think it's ever occured to me to wear a bra with a decorative back under a low back dress. I have a beautiful black lace racer back bra that I suddenly feel the need to show off!

I often wear a satin camisole with a skirt, but always under a jacket. Would love to wear my corsets as outerwear, but I've only done that for fancy dress/theme nights. It gets quite a lot of attention, which is not always a good thing. I'm slightly nervous about it.

Vanessa8 [sign in to see picture]

I am getting more brave about it and figuring YOLO... I spend more money most months on lingerie than I I do real clothes... why not show it off more!

Fun Louise [sign in to see picture]

Hi Vanessa I thought of you and this thread today (yesterday), there was a woman walking home at silly o'clock in the morning carrying her heels and with a stagger, but, she was wearing a backless dress, sort of. It looked like she had it on the wrong way round, making it a frontless dress! With a pretty purple push up bra.

Either a brave bold fashion statement, or as I suspect she was waking home after an intimate drunken night with someone, and had just put her dress on back to front 😄

Vanessa8 wrote:

I am getting more brave about it and figuring YOLO... I spend more money most months on lingerie than I I do real clothes... why not show it off more!

Yes! I'm taking your lead.

Following on from this converation, I'm seriously considering this http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=29594 to wear for a party (with a skirt!) I'm not sure if I can carry it off, since I'm not model-thin. Scared I'll get to the event and suddenly feel too self consious to take my jacket off!

Sxleksaker [sign in to see picture]

I think you would look great in it caliente :)

Vanessa8 [sign in to see picture]

Caliente wrote:

Following on from this converation, I'm seriously considering this http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=29594 to wear for a party (with a skirt!) I'm not sure if I can carry it off, since I'm not model-thin. Scared I'll get to the event and suddenly feel too self consious to take my jacket off!

I think curves with this would be incredibly lovely Caliente. Wear a type of jacket you can leave on it you dont want to like a cropped blazer or jean jacket? Not sure how formal the party is.

Do you already own this piece? Really looks lovely and very versatile.

Thanks ladies. I'm mostly worried about my chubby arms! lol I haven't bought it (yet) but I think I might. I have a shrug type cardigan that would look good with it.

Sxleksaker [sign in to see picture]

That sounds great 😄 I think you will look very cool in it!

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.