• Ask the Expert: All Things Lingerie

Lovehoney - Sammi Cole [sign in to see picture]

Hi Talia, 

1. It depends on which brand you're looking at in particular. Because we stock lingerie from so many international suppliers, they each have their own size charts (which can make things very confusing!), and even on the UK high street, it's really hard to find a 'standard' size because of things like vanity sizing, which is why you can be one size in one shop, and a completely different size in another. If there's a particular brand you have in mind, then do let me know and I'll see what I can find for you. 

2. To the best of my knowledge, there's no 'national shape' when it comes to a country's fashion, especially when a lot of British clothing is generally made overseas. A lot of Lovehoney bras are sized by dress size rather than cup/band size, which can sometimes mean it's a bit of trial and error finding the perfect fit, but a great place to start is making sure that you're picking the best bra style for your breast shape. I've put together a video on how to do that here

Alternatively, for tips on picking a bra that's not sized by cup, do check out our bra fit Buyer's Guide here.

Hopefully, that's been some help!

Thanks, 

Sammi

glittergirl wrote:

Can i ask when this might be in stock please i so need this in my life in plus size 22-24
    Plus Size Hooded Sexy Santa Dress with Belt

Hi glittergirl, 

This should now be available for you here.

Thanks, 

Sammi

Talia [sign in to see picture]

Hi Sammy, thank you for your answer, the video was helpful (I'll have to watch it at least a second time because it's very fast for a non-native speaker). The bra buyer's guide is helpful as well, even if it boils down that I need to stop buying bustiers etc. until I've lost another 10 pounds and can wear an M: Right now my bra size is 12 (34D), the rest is between 14 and 16...

But as for the rest, I'm not convinced: At least once upon a time in Germany there was a national measurement table - I've seen it! And I'm reasonably sure that they still exist - otherwise, what do fashion designers base their patterns on? How do the manufacturers "upsize" from the size the collections is first made in to the bigger ones for sale? (If these tables are a well-guarded industry secret, just say so!)

I can also assure you that there are national differences between average body shapes - French ladies have as a rule (at least judging by the clothes made for them) much narrower shoulders than I have, to mention just one difference. (For the others I'd need the above mentioned tables for different countries).

That does not mean that the sizing in stores - especially at the lower end of the price range - is not all over the place. Prior to my working in fashion I had never found a tailored jacket that fit me and thought my shape somehow unusual. Then I found this measurement table, went "That's BS, you can't standardize people like this!" and started measuring myself to prove my point. But it turned out that I was a perfect stardard German 38 - all my measurements within one cm of the table. And guess what? When I started trying on clothes from fashion houses that worked with this table, size 38 fit perfectly! I just had never before looked at suits for £500 and up (that was mid-90s...)

Another question, regarding bra sizes: I love the system in your Buyer's Guide, it's brilliant in its simplicity. But who uses it (apart from Lovehoney)? Even within the UK there seems to be quite a lot of confusion (as the "I'm what cup size" thread shows - and the fact that only a year ago one of your customer service people told me that bra size is measured over the bust) and in France my current bras' labels still show: 100 B, UK 38 B, EU 85 B (it's the same for the ones I buy from a German hard discount chain). Shouldn't somebody inform the rest of the world of the changes in UK sizing, or is it specific to Lovehoney?

you and me [sign in to see picture]

hi Sammi, having a bit of a mare trying to get a catsuit to fit OH. sent two back now(first ever returns) ordered another earlier after a bit of a faff over returns and if offers still stand on returns when replacements were asked for? but anyway all sorted. so as it seems 16/18? shiney? in case this next one doesnt fit? any new stuff in the pipeline?

NatandTom [sign in to see picture]

Hi Sammi,

Will these be available in the base size?

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=35896

Mac317 [sign in to see picture]

Hope this is in the right place but do you plan to stock larger sizes in mens underwear?
    I am a 42-44 waist and find it hard to judge if some of the LHM range or others would fit me.

Hi Talia, 

I double-checked with our in-house lingerie designer, and she said there's no single set chart in the UK fashion industry for sizing. As you can see from this size converter, simply by adding your measurements, it's clear how much sizing varies from brand to brand, making it very difficult to set a standard. She's been in the lingerie industry for 15 years, too, and isn't aware that there's a standard UK breast shape, either. 

The sizing system that I have outlined in the Buyer's Guide is the most commonly-used measurement method for bra sizing and certainly the most modern, but because there were so many methods used previously (I remember one being that you had to add 4 inches onto your underbust measurement to find your band size, or something strange), advice can differ. However, this is now the method most commonly used in both high street and online retailers. 

Thanks, 

Sammi

you and me wrote:

hi Sammi, having a bit of a mare trying to get a catsuit to fit OH. sent two back now(first ever returns) ordered another earlier after a bit of a faff over returns and if offers still stand on returns when replacements were asked for? but anyway all sorted. so as it seems 16/18? shiney? in case this next one doesnt fit? any new stuff in the pipeline?

Hi you and me, 

Thank you for your question. Can I ask which catsuits you were looking at, and what your OH's measurements are? Another great alternative to get the look of a catsuit but with much stretchier fabric is a bodystocking - we've got tons to choose from!

We're adding tons of new lingerie every week, so do keep checking the What's New in Lingerie page ;). 

Thanks, 

Sammi

NatandTom wrote:

Hi Sammi,

Will these be available in the base size?

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=35896

Hi NatandTom, 

They will be available in base size, yes! Unfortunately we seem to have some gremlins in the system at the moment meaning a couple of products (including these) aren't showing up, but we're working on fixing it as soon as possible.

Thanks, 

Sammi

Mac317 wrote:

Hope this is in the right place but do you plan to stock larger sizes in mens underwear?
    I am a 42-44 waist and find it hard to judge if some of the LHM range or others would fit me.

Hi Mac317,

Thanks for your question. This is actually a topic that came up for discussion with our lingerie team the other day, so we are currently deliberating on whether to extend our LHM sizing to be more inclusive. Fingers crossed that it'll be something we introduce in the future!

Thanks, 

Sammi

Talia [sign in to see picture]

Lovehoney - Sammi Cole wrote:

...As you can see from http://sizes.darkgreener.com/ size converter, simply by adding your measurements, it's clear how much sizing varies from brand to brand, making it very difficult to set a standard. ..

Thank you very much for this link! I've bookmarked it, it seems so useful...

SophTheSub [sign in to see picture]

This is my first post here and I have a pretty simple question
    When I wear lace it rubs and someone's pulled my skin to the point where it bleeds and I have to go half the day pantyless and in pain.
    I've tried getting different sizes, patterns, types of lace but all the same, is there anything I can do to prevent this? It only happens with panties, the rest of me is fine with lace.
    Thank you for your time.

Hi SophTheSub, 

Thanks for your question, and welcome to the forum! 

That sounds like a tricky one, particularly if you're finding that lace is fine on other parts of your body. Have you tried knickers that just have lace in one area, such as around the hips, or in a panel across the back? That way, you can still get the sexy look of lace without the irritation in sensitive areas. Looking for lingerie with a high elastane or spandex content could help, too, as it's stretchy and less likely to cause that uncomfortable rubbing.

The style of knickers that you're choosing could have some impact, too - thongs and bikini briefs are more likely to rub than boyshorts, for example. If you often choose knickers that have bands of elastic around the legs and at the waistband, try looking for a smoother style that has a scalloped lace trim rather than a strip of elastic, such as these http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=34607. 

Alternatively, our whole Flirty range is made from incredibly soft lace that doesn't create the scratchiness of some other brands, and they feature a wide cotton gusset for extra comfort. 

Hopefully that's some help!

Thanks,

Sammi

NaughtyNerd [sign in to see picture]

Hi, I really like wearing Suspenders and stockings for my OH, it is really helping me increase my body confidence.

However, I'm a size 14, 5ft10 and have some junk in the trunk! As I result I tend to find the suspender strap can be a little short at the back.

Are there any particular brands that do longer straps?

bondagegod [sign in to see picture]

Hi Sammi. What colour stockings do you tho go best with the indulge me range?

NaughtyNerd wrote:

Hi, I really like wearing Suspenders and stockings for my OH, it is really helping me increase my body confidence.

However, I'm a size 14, 5ft10 and have some junk in the trunk! As I result I tend to find the suspender strap can be a little short at the back.

Are there any particular brands that do longer straps?

Hi NaughtyNerd, 

I know the struggle! I can definitely recommend Miss Naughty suspender belts for longer suspenders, and Oh La La Cheri are pretty good as well.

Generally, I find that suspender belts straps are longer than suspenders that come attached to basques or knickers, because there's more versatility about where you wear them on your waist.

Hopefully that's some help!

Thanks, 

Sammi

bondagegod wrote:

Hi Sammi. What colour stockings do you tho go best with the indulge me range?

Hi bondagegod, 

It's all a matter of personal preference, really, but I think nude stockings look best with Indulge Me as the colour's so intense. If you did want to pair black stockings with it, I'd suggest plain-topped rather than lace ones. 

Thanks!

Sammi

bondagegod [sign in to see picture]

Thanks Sammi. I thought the models hade nude stockings on but couldn't completely tell with there not being a full shot of the stockings.

NaughtyNerd [sign in to see picture]

Thanks Sammi that's brilliant. I have had my eye on the Miss Naughty satin belt so that's a bonus!!

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.