• Ask the Expert: All Things Lingerie

    1474638440
    Lovehoney - Sammi Cole [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Lieutenant Colonel
    • Posts: 64
    • Joined: 1 Oct 2015

    Hi everyone, 

    If you don't know who I am, I'm Lovehoney's resident lingerie pro, Sammi Cole! You can see me blabbering about all things bras and pants on Youtube, and I write all the lingerie product descriptions and blogs that you see on the website. 

    As there are tons and tons of lingerie questions on the forum, I thought I'd start this thread so that you can all send me your questions directly. If there's anything that you wanted to know about an existing product, or tips for choosing the right piece of lingerie, feel free to pop them in here and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

    I'll be checking the thread a couple of times a day Monday-Friday, so if you're after an immediate response, try dropping Customer Care a line, or creating a new thread so that all your immensely knowledgeable fellow forumites can offer their expertise.

    Thanks!

    Sammi

    1474639605
    Fun Louise [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 4761
    • Joined: 30 Mar 2015

    Hi Sam, this might sound daft but I'm a plus size girl dress size 18/20, and bra size 38F/FF

    I really struggle getting lovehoney items to fit my bust. Are there any plans to make the plus size items with a larger cup?

    1474640025
    Alicia4Ever [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: General
    • Posts: 1299
    • Joined: 27 Feb 2010

    Hi Sam I can't figure out the sizing on the Dreamgirl Beyonce corset.

    The sizes avalable say 3x44 fits UK size 18-20 cup size 44 I don't get this.

    The dreamgirl size chart says 3x/4x uk size 22-24 and amongst the other sizes cup siz DD

    Why is the available size not matched to the dreamgrl size chart.

    I'm a bit new to all this, as newly out trans girl, but cup size 44 ???

    Thanks Alicia

    1474640065
    Lovehoney - Sammi Cole [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Lieutenant Colonel
    • Posts: 64
    • Joined: 1 Oct 2015

    Hi Fun Louise, 

    We're always looking to improve our own-brand lingerie and I know that our cup sizing has been a problem for larger busts in the past.

    At the moment, we're only able to make own-brand lingerie in S,M,L,1X/2X and 3X/4X, but we are trying to find ways around this in order to accommodate as many sizes as we can, which is why we have things like the slider fastenings instead of the standard hook-and-eye.

    However, as that doesn't always help with the cups, I'll pass your comments onto our designer to see if there's anything we can do about this for the upcoming ranges. 

    Thanks, 

    Sammi

    1474640683
    Lovehoney - Sammi Cole [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Lieutenant Colonel
    • Posts: 64
    • Joined: 1 Oct 2015

    Hi Alicia4Ever, 

    For some reason that our Tech team is trying to figure out, the sizing on the white Beyonce has come out a bit squiffy on the options and we're not too sure why, but hopefully that should be fixed soon. 

    In terms of the sizing, the size 44 comes from the sizing we've got from the supplier (which, admittedly, is a little confusing), but for an easy breakdown:

    32 (or XS) = UK 6-8
    34 (or S) = UK 8-10
    36 (or M) = UK 10-12
    38 (or L) = UK 12-14
    40 (1X) = UK 14-16
    42 (2X) = UK 16-18

    We've also found that with the black Beyonce corset, the sizing tends to run a little smaller than the Dreamgirl size chart because there's not much give in the fabric. For this reason, we sized the options down to make sure the fit was as true as possible. 

    Hope that answers your question!

    Thanks, 

    Sammi

    1474643095
    Quimlicker [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Officer Cadet
    • Posts: 1
    • Joined: 25 Aug 2016

    Hi Sam, we are new to this site but really enjoying the items we have bought. i have been thinking about asking my o/h to try LHM underwear but not sure if he will be interested. any ideas on how to approach this with him ? He is very manly.

    1474645162
    Lovehoney - Sammi Cole [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Lieutenant Colonel
    • Posts: 64
    • Joined: 1 Oct 2015

    Hi Quimlicker, 

    So glad that you're loving Lovehoney! 

    Asking your partner to wear something that they wouldn't normally try can be a tricky subject to broach.

    A great way to frame your request is to go for the 'tit-for-tat' approach, as it were - suggest that he pick anything from the lingerie section for you to wear, and you pick something for him. That way, you're both on an even footing when it comes to the surprise element and he's less likely to feel 'silly'.

    Alternatively, try instigating a conversation next time you're in bed about what your turns-ons are. If he knows that you're genuinely aroused by the thought of him in sexy underwear, he's more likely to be open to trying them out, especially if you reassure him that you think he'll look great.

    If he's quite a 'manly' guy, as you say, he may be concerned about looking too feminine, so you might want to start by suggesting something not too dissimilar from what he usually wears. If he's a boxers guy, something like the lace-up LHM boxers might be a good option to suggest to him (or to surprise him with) as they're pretty similar to everyday black boxers, but the lacing let him control what he reveals. Alternatively, a lot of our male customers like the striped mesh LHM boxers for the same reason. Go for fabrics that are more likely to feel seductive than look seductive to begin with (such as microfibre or a lycra mix), and steer away from overly-revealing styles until you know he's comfortable.

    If he's really uncomfortable with the idea, it's best not to push it too far - once he know that it's something you'd like to see, he may come round to it in his own time. If he doesn't, it's also important that you respect his decision. 

    I hope that answers your question!

    Thanks, 

    Sam

    1474649885
    Fentiger [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Major
    • Posts: 18
    • Joined: 17 Jan 2009

    Will you be adding to the LHM UNDERWEAR RANGE.

    1474656658
    mamz [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 1826
    • Joined: 4 Jan 2016

    Hi sam!

    I'd be so in need for a bra fitting advice! I've watched your video on the topic but it was difficult to know which type are my boobs.

    I wear a 32C. however, everytime I get fitted they tell me I need a 32D.

    I feel more confortable in a 32 C because I feel the bra isn't going to open anytime and show my breats. I feel like the D opens too much and I don,t like that. Sure the C cup ends closer to my tits but I still feel safer in it. Moral: I feel safer wearing a bra that's too small rather than too big.

    My measurements are 29" underbust and 33" bust of I'm right, and my boobs are really far appart. They're almost part of my armpit, and they both sit on each side of my sternum. If I were a push up bra, there's still about an inch separating them. One of the problems I have wearing a bra is that my boobs tend to escape on the sides (more of a problem with the C cup than the D cup). They are quite small, but kindda round, so they don't sit well inside the bra and take it's shape. But I don't like wearing non padded (or moulded) bra because I find my boobs are an odd shape and it's accentuated in a bralette, plus, it shows how small they are.

    Please can you help me? I know it's hard without seeing what my breasts look like, but can you help me finding what kind and size of bra would suit me better?

    1474657365
    mamz [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 1826
    • Joined: 4 Jan 2016

    By tits I mean nipples** (sorry, french influence here)

    1474666863
    lovingnewtoys [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 2609
    • Joined: 16 Jan 2016

    I am a size 16/18 but also stand approx 5'11" tall.

    I am pretty long in the body which sometimes creates problems when buying more fitted items, although I have found bodystockings OK due to their great ability to stretch.

    Are there any measurements that could be added to the size charts, i.e, shoulder to crutch, that could help with this issue.

    I also have pretty small boobs compared to the rest of me, but plus size lingerie also seems to assume plus size boobs!! How about more basques etc but without 'former' cups?

    Great thread BTW xxx

    1474672308
    sugarboobies2232 [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 1544
    • Joined: 16 Feb 2015

    Hi Sam!

    I've raised this issue on numerous threads but no one has seemed to be able to give an answer! Is there a reason as to why ALL sizes available in a particular design are not on deal of the day? For example, the tempt me chemise was on offer the other day but only in the smaller/regular sizes. I've seen this happen so many times both on the Lovehoney's own range and others such as Fantasy or Dream girl. Just really frustrating to be honest as you stock regular and plus sizes but only seem to promote one or the other size. Any reason why? X

    1474697036
    slinky binky [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 2680
    • Joined: 21 Aug 2015

    +1 to sugarboobies, It could also deter people from purchasing as it seems unfair on the size who's missing out 😞

    Hi Sam. firstly thanks for bringing my YouTube addiction back. I love your lingere videos as I'm completly obsessed with lingere and the videoes are very fun, detailed and well made.

    I often find that with lingere my boobs don't want to stay in place. I'm a size 10-12, 5ft 6" and have a 34C/D bust and alot of the lingere I purchase they don't stay put. Would it be possible to get some advice on the most versatile lingere for my size please? I adore babydolls and chemises, that's my preference. The wet look items are absolutely gorgeous, never thought I'd love wet-look so much until I got my first piece but the problem is the boob area. They never stay put, and whilst there's no complaints from hubby i enjoy wearing lingere all night so it would be incredible to have more lingere to lounge/sleep in comfortably.

    I realise not all the items are going to be comfortable for sleeping, wet-look, latex etc for instance aren't the most practical for long time wear. On the flip side all of the spoil me satin range is the best fitting I've came accross and stunning. It'd be awesome to have more items made simular which will fit various sizes as we're all different shapes and sizes. If there was a cup size option it'd be so beneficial imo 💟xx

    1474723085
    Kanu Suckmeov [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Colonel
    • Posts: 443
    • Joined: 14 Dec 2014

    mamz wrote:

    Hi sam!

    I'd be so in need for a bra fitting advice! I've watched your video on the topic but it was difficult to know which type are my boobs.

    I wear a 32C. however, everytime I get fitted they tell me I need a 32D.

    I feel more confortable in a 32 C because I feel the bra isn't going to open anytime and show my breats. I feel like the D opens too much and I don,t like that. Sure the C cup ends closer to my tits but I still feel safer in it. Moral: I feel safer wearing a bra that's too small rather than too big.

    My measurements are 29" underbust and 33" bust of I'm right, and my boobs are really far appart. They're almost part of my armpit, and they both sit on each side of my sternum. If I were a push up bra, there's still about an inch separating them. One of the problems I have wearing a bra is that my boobs tend to escape on the sides (more of a problem with the C cup than the D cup). They are quite small, but kindda round, so they don't sit well inside the bra and take it's shape. But I don't like wearing non padded (or moulded) bra because I find my boobs are an odd shape and it's accentuated in a bralette, plus, it shows how small they are.

    Please can you help me? I know it's hard without seeing what my breasts look like, but can you help me finding what kind and size of bra would suit me better?

    hi mamz

    Now I am no expert, I'm a man so what do I know about women's bra sizes and how they work. But I remember reading something about 4" & 5" being the difference between under bust and full size (across nipples etc) The fact that you are 29" under you bust I think you should add 5", if you were 30" you would add the 4", thus making you a size 34" with a A cup. Every inch over the 4" or 5" rule increases the cup by one ie B C or D

    But as I say I'm no expert but with a love for women's boobs. Hope Sami can help you with some expert advice.

    1474724031
    glittergirl [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: General
    • Posts: 237
    • Joined: 12 Aug 2011

    sugarboobies2232 wrote:

    Hi Sam!

    I've raised this issue on numerous threads but no one has seemed to be able to give an answer! Is there a reason as to why ALL sizes available in a particular design are not on deal of the day? For example, the tempt me chemise was on offer the other day but only in the smaller/regular sizes. I've seen this happen so many times both on the Lovehoney's own range and others such as Fantasy or Dream girl. Just really frustrating to be honest as you stock regular and plus sizes but only seem to promote one or the other size. Any reason why? X

    i too have felt frustrated by this almost like the larger frame or regular gets discrimination? Truth is i think more people must buy the regular size and larger size so they advertising smaller so this restricts sale on offer saving the company money looking as if there still putting on the offers to entice buys to look. See it doesn't fit and find something bigger at full price? This may not be the case but seems this way. Me personally get fed up, log of . not buying anything when this happens . think well ill wait. As none of these items come into my priority spending just my it would be nice to have. i like the look of that. So i quite offended dismiss where i would of brought and no doubt added more to the trolley. Also im a size 22.( Shame full i know) so when i buy plus size items im doing so as all of me is plus size boobs especially 👙 (•)(•) Please make cup sizes to match. Not all bad thou.. i love the quilty and range and have many item i stuff my boobs into. as the lingerie is beautiful and hubby never minds bluging breast 😂😜
    1474730164
    sugarboobies2232 [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 1544
    • Joined: 16 Feb 2015

    glittergirl wrote:

    sugarboobies2232 wrote:

    Hi Sam!

    I've raised this issue on numerous threads but no one has seemed to be able to give an answer! Is there a reason as to why ALL sizes available in a particular design are not on deal of the day? For example, the tempt me chemise was on offer the other day but only in the smaller/regular sizes. I've seen this happen so many times both on the Lovehoney's own range and others such as Fantasy or Dream girl. Just really frustrating to be honest as you stock regular and plus sizes but only seem to promote one or the other size. Any reason why? X

    i too have felt frustrated by this almost like the larger frame or regular gets discrimination? Truth is i think more people must buy the regular size and larger size so they advertising smaller so this restricts sale on offer saving the company money looking as if there still putting on the offers to entice buys to look. See it doesn't fit and find something bigger at full price? This may not be the case but seems this way. Me personally get fed up, log of . not buying anything when this happens . think well ill wait. As none of these items come into my priority spending just my it would be nice to have. i like the look of that. So i quite offended dismiss where i would of brought and no doubt added more to the trolley. Also im a size 22.( Shame full i know) so when i buy plus size items im doing so as all of me is plus size boobs especially 👙 (•)(•) Please make cup sizes to match. Not all bad thou.. i love the quilty and range and have many item i stuff my boobs into. as the lingerie is beautiful and hubby never minds bluging breast 😂😜
    Glitter girl, why is a size 22 shameful? Please don't put yourself down. You're gorgeous and a lovely person and please remember there are worse things life to be other than "fat" or "big", like bitter, angry, spiteful or sly. I wear a size 22 too you know and rock it! It is infuriating and wish it would change. I've been banging on about it for months and it seems nobody has been able to give me a message as to why it isnt the case. I absolutley adore love honey and frequently order but this is something I really, really disagree with. But I have also seen plus sized items on offer and not regular sizes too, but it seems it's the plus sized items that are not promoted.
    1474734840
    honeybun91 [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: General
    • Posts: 766
    • Joined: 5 Mar 2016

    I agree in relation to the deal of the day and how all sizes should be in the offer.
    Also generally some products of the same design are different prices or only available in one size which is frustrating.

    And if the item is out of stock the date its due to be in stock again needs to be updated accurately 🙊 Or if they aren't being stocked again would be nice to know

    1474763232
    Sxleksaker [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 2799
    • Joined: 29 Feb 2016

    Hello! I have the same problem as Mamz, regarding bra sizes. I have a 28" band size and a 32" cup size. When I use size calculators online this seems to make me a 30D. I was just wondering if this is true since I then have to change my measurements I have previously sent to Leanne. I am Swedish and am a bit confused because we use a different bra size system.

    1474790402
    mamz [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 1826
    • Joined: 4 Jan 2016

    Sxleksaker wrote:

    Hello! I have the same problem as Mamz, regarding bra sizes. I have a 28" band size and a 32" cup size. When I use size calculators online this seems to make me a 30D. I was just wondering if this is true since I then have to change my measurements I have previously sent to Leanne. I am Swedish and am a bit confused because we use a different bra size system.

    I get the same result! (canadian here so I don,t know if the sizes are the same though)

    1474793773
    Bexy [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Captain
    • Posts: 43
    • Joined: 10 Jan 2010

    Hi Sam

    Are there any plans to produce a sexy but functional suspender belt that can worn all day (six straps, metals clasps and adjusters and at least three hook and eye fasteners)?

    The belts I wear most days are a bit 'granny-ish' (this is according to partners, friends and random strangers who have seen me changing before/after the gym!) and I'd love something as practical and comfortable but with a bit of added glamour that was more in keeping with the rest of my lingerie choices.

    Thanks

    Post a reply to this thread

    Please sign in to post messages to the forum.