• I'm WHAT cup size?!

Talia [sign in to see picture]

I think as with all clothes there are no real shortcuts. It's just a question of getting the basic measurements right (I'm sorry to say that there's online shops that have more useful measurement/size tables than LH) and then for the details it's a matter of working your way through the different manufacturers and styles and finding out what fits and what doesn't.

(Of course, then you need to factor in looks, and price, and you better don't have any allergies to any of the materials, and... I understand why my mother would often moan "Why can't I live in a place where I could run around naked?")

VioletWolf [sign in to see picture]

I think a fitting may be in order over here too 😂

MrPink [sign in to see picture]

Ladies, don't be shy! I'm a guy and regularly have bra fittings. There's nothing to fear from a good fitter (though you may not do so well at a chain store and you should avoid M&S like the plague!). I thought I had it all sussed before I had my first fitting but now I try to be fitted into as many of my purchases as I can - it's the only way to deal with the variation in sizing between different styles and brands of bra.

Personally, I don't go for the 'add 4"' rule unless it's a non-stretch vintage-style bra, because modern bras have so much more stretch than they used to. I've been a 40" back, now I'm a 38" back and some 36" bras fit me properly as well. On the 'add 4' rule I measure as a 42! And I haven't got physically any smaller over the years.

The reason you think cups sizes are bigger is because a C cup on a 38 band is a lot bigger than on a 34 band, so if you were wearing a 38C and go down to a 34 band (not uncommon when you get fitted), you'd need to go up two cup sizes or so (hard to be accurate, hence the need for fittings) and then you find that a 34DD is about the same cup size as your 38C. Your C cups have just become DD's!

Also make sure that whatever the size is on the label, that you can just fasten the bra on the loosest set of hooks (or eyes, actually ...). The extra ones are to allow for the bra stretching as you wear it. When you get from the tightest to the loosest, it'll definitely be time to get a new one.

I'd definitely use a 'chicken fillet' enhancer if there's a big difference in the size of your boobs. Why make even more problems for yourself? With my fitter, we focus on the band size first, then on the fit of the underwires round my chest. Being male, I have the 'wide flat boob' problem mentioned here, but with chicken fillets I can get a perfect fit much more often than I would otherwise. And also, as mentioned above, do the swoop and scoop, leaning forward and pulling your breast tissue right into the cups after you've put the bra on.

It's not rocket science, more a black art in some ways, but staying at home with a tape measure isn't the answer, unless you develop a critical eye for fit and are prepared to spend a LOT of time trying bras on and sending back the ones that don't fit. Honest.

All i have to do now is persuade Mrs. P to get fitted properly - I can only do so much ...

And don't say 'I can't be a D cup'. Of course you can!

Secretheart90 [sign in to see picture]

Oh dear.
    Think some of you busty ladies need to share some with the itty bitty titty girls like me haha

I hate my boobs. I've only ever had one bra I've loved and I actually still wear it to this day, usually in a night out. It gives me a great shape and lift :)

I've never been measured... apart from off my mum about 13 years ago lol. My boobs have fluctuated massively over the years. Before I had my DD I was lucky to even fill an 34A cup. During pregnancy I went up to a 36C which was amazing. Then after I had her I was back to my A lol
    I wear a 34 B now and sometimes fits perfect, but can even be a little big sometimes from different stores.

I went for a consultation for a boob enlargement back in August, and he measured me up as a 34B. Actually can't wait to have boobs lol.
    Mainly so I can buy some of LH gorgeous lingerie and feel like a woman lol.

I'd say larger breasted women should definitely get measured by a professional. I don't think us lil ones need to worry as much lol

How come I hadn't seen this before: http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/sexy-lingerie/buyers-guide/how-to-choose-the-right-bra-size/ ?

That is a really logical and easy-to-remember system (I'm only a bit annoyed because LH customer service definitely told me last year that bra size was measured overbust) - now I only hope that LH bras actually follow that system!

[suspended user]

suspended user

Talia wrote:

How come I hadn't seen this before: http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/sexy-lingerie/buyers-guide/how-to-choose-the-right-bra-size/ ?

That is a really logical and easy-to-remember system (I'm only a bit annoyed because LH customer service definitely told me last year that bra size was measured overbust) - now I only hope that LH bras actually follow that system!

This is handy, BUT: I never read anywhere else one should measure up already wearing a bra?!?!

Caliente [sign in to see picture]

Good point era. My bra size would be very, very different if I measured over the top of a bra.

era wrote:

This is handy, BUT: I never read anywhere else one should measure up already wearing a bra?!?!

I haven't read that anywhere either, but I've wondered about the question ever since my breasts have started to sag! Because the volume of the breasts doesn't diminish just because they are no longer as perky as they used to be...

myghost [sign in to see picture]

era wrote:

Talia wrote:

If you ever get measured in a shop they will measure you with your bra on best to wear something with out padding to get the most realistic size

SquirtyPanda [sign in to see picture]

I got measured at M&S, went in a C came out a DD

MiddleAgedDirtbag [sign in to see picture]

As MrPink said the only time you need to add 4 or 5 inches to your under bust measurement is when wearing "vintage" or reproduction vintage non stretch material bras. Modern bras have so much stretch in the band now. The old way of fitting adding 4 inches etc (which is still used in some well known department stores) was invented before we had lycra / stretch fabrics.I was wearing a 36e/f and this was far too loose round my back even on tightest hook, I thought it was fine as that is what I was told I was even though I only measured 33 inches under bust. Also going by the add 4 or 5 inches I would have been a 38 band size which is ridiculous if a 36 is too loose. After reading an article online about correct fitting I am now in a 34f/g depending on where I shop and style and it has made a big difference to how I look and feel. Although I agree with what another lady has said on here it limits your options as to where you can buy bras to fit.Cup size is usually determined at a fitting by the fitter looking at the bra you are currently wearing or trying and seeing how that fits, measring with tape measure is only a rough guide.

RosyCheek [sign in to see picture]

I had a fitting years ago....13 years ago to be exact. It was great, over the bra measuring, quick and easy. I was terrified as I am a very private person. They came out with the perfect bra for me, a white t shirt bra with gold fasteners and accents. It was soft and slightly padded, it made my boobs look awesome! I was so chuffed I ran to the till with merry excitement...."that will be £42 please". I should have looked at the price as it cost 1/2 of my student bursary for the week BUT I had that bra up until a couple of years ago. Best thing I done! I miss old grotty gossy.

Twilightgirl123 [sign in to see picture]

I thought I was an 32A for ages...I'm a 34C nearly a D haha

MiddleAgedDirtbag wrote:

As MrPink said the only time you need to add 4 or 5 inches to your under bust measurement ...

Actually, according to the LH guide you don't add anything: Your underbust measurement becomes the numbers part of the bra size, the letters increase with every inch of the difference overbust-underbust measurement. If that worked I'd be a 34D in true UK sizes.

I say "true UK" because I can assure you that bras made for the French market still have "UK: 38B" on the labels of the ones that fit me.

I find this new system perfect in its simplicity and hope it'll be widely used!

RosyCheek wrote:

..."that will be £42 please". I should have looked at the price as it cost 1/2 of my student bursary for the week BUT I had that bra up until a couple of years ago. Best thing I done! I miss old grotty gossy.

I'd say that was a really good investment! Yeah, with lingerie too you often get what you pay for - I don't even remember when I bought my bras in the lingerie shop (at about the same price as yours), but they've lasted for ages and are still looking good. Despite machine-washing...

MiddleAgedDirtbag [sign in to see picture]

Secretheart90 wrote:

Oh dear.
    Think some of you busty ladies need to share some with the itty bitty titty girls like me haha

I hate my boobs. I've only ever had one bra I've loved and I actually still wear it to this day, usually in a night out. It gives me a great shape and lift :)

I've never been measured... apart from off my mum about 13 years ago lol. My boobs have fluctuated massively over the years. Before I had my DD I was lucky to even fill an 34A cup. During pregnancy I went up to a 36C which was amazing. Then after I had her I was back to my A lol
    I wear a 34 B now and sometimes fits perfect, but can even be a little big sometimes from different stores.

I went for a consultation for a boob enlargement back in August, and he measured me up as a 34B. Actually can't wait to have boobs lol.
    Mainly so I can buy some of LH gorgeous lingerie and feel like a woman lol.

I'd say larger breasted women should definitely get measured by a professional. I don't think us lil ones need to worry as much lol

Having gone from a 34b to a 34ff/g after having my daughter and like you always wanting bigger boobs, I can honestly say that there are draw backs, such as gravity and age and not being able to find bras that fit easily. also strappy summer dresses and tops that look classy & nice on a smaller busted lady can end up looking tarty (which is great if thats the look I am after but not so good when it's not!) I miss being able to wear low back dresses and swimsuits without reinforcements. I think there are advantages and disadvantages to both :) When I was smaller I found well known brand of push up bra with removable pads did the trick.

Delboy1991 [sign in to see picture]

My best friend is a GG!! And all her own. She thought she was only a E. My tea spat everywhere when she said. I wouldnt know what to do if mine was that big. Little bee stings over here 😂

BumblebeeBuzzed [sign in to see picture]

Got measured today for the first time since falling pregnant (5 1/2 months) and I've gone up three sizes from a 32E to a 32G!!!!! I hope the next 4 1/2 months don't prove me to continue getting bigger at this pace!!!

mamz [sign in to see picture]

Dumb question but I've always simply assumed that the US cup sizes were the same than the UK ones, but are they?

myghost [sign in to see picture]

mamz wrote:

Dumb question but I've always simply assumed that the US cup sizes were the same than the UK ones, but are they?

Up to D cup it's the same then they have DD (E) and rather strangely DDD (F) quick search suggests where we have FF, GG, HH & JJ they have H, J, L & N http://www.breasttalk.co.uk/size_charts.aspx

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.