• Allergies

jws2686 [sign in to see picture]

My partner is allergic to latex and so I wondered if she is allergic to latex is she allergic to rubber? PVC?

i hope that isn't as dumb a question as it sounds but I wanted to ask.

NEvans [sign in to see picture]

Interetsting question, i would love to know the answer myself!

X

[suspended user]

suspended user

PokingFun wrote:

Hang on...

JESS!!! JESSS!!!! JEEEEEESSSS!!!

Hopefully she'll pop up with the answer! ;)

LOL! :))))))))))

It has been said more than once that if you wish an answer from the Lovehoney team on any topic, you should contact customer care directly as a question on the forums might get missed and unanswered. ;)

NEvans [sign in to see picture]

PokingFun wrote:

Hang on...

JESS!!! JESSS!!!! JEEEEEESSSS!!!

Hopefully she'll pop up with the answer! ;)

Hehe this made me giggle!

From what i understand this link explains that laxtex can be found in rubber? I couldnt find anything about PVC though, sorry! - http://www.lasg.org.uk/information

X

Lovehoney - Jess Wilde [sign in to see picture]

Hey y'all!

Sorry - I only just heard your cries for help! ;)

Latex rubber is naturally occurring substance that's found in plants. We process it in order to use it for things like condoms, gloves and clothing. Although latex is a rubber, not all rubber contains latex. 

PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride) is a synthetic plastic that contains no rubber or latex and is therefore often used as an alternative to latex. I believe it's now standard practice for hospitals to use PVC gloves instead of latex due to peoples' allergies. 

Your partner is absolutely safe to use and wear PVC, however if you buy anything that is described as 'rubber' I would recommend checking the actual break down of that material to make sure it doesn't contain latex. 

Hope that helps! 

Lady Ness [sign in to see picture]

Lovehoney - Jess wrote:

Hey y'all!

Sorry - I only just heard your cries for help! ;)

Latex rubber is naturally occurring substance that's found in plants. We process it in order to use it for things like condoms, gloves and clothing. Although latex is a rubber, not all rubber contains latex.

PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride) is a synthetic plastic that contains no rubber or latex and is therefore often used as an alternative to latex. I believe it's now standard practice for hospitals to use PVC gloves instead of latex due to peoples' allergies.

Your partner is absolutely safe to use and wear PVC, however if you buy anything that is described as 'rubber' I would recommend checking the actual break down of that material to make sure it doesn't contain latex.

Hope that helps!

Hospitals still use latex gloves, but they are pure latex, rather than the gloves purchased from standard shops, which are meant to cause less of a reaction. Although most of the time they will opt for nitrile. There are various equipment made from latex from plasters to some reflex hammers. I found a list once when researching spina bifida about items in the NHS.

Last year I went for a lot of tests to find out if I'm allergic to latex and found out quite a bit. If something comes from a factory which uses latex and the molds being used to make products had been used for both latex free and latex items, then it can pass latex particles onto the non-latex items if the molds hadn't been cleaned 100%. Although this is rare. Also, a lot of latex allergies maybe due to other products used in the process (this is the case for me with some latex items, and it'd be almost impossible to find out what, but the doctors think it maybe animal by-products being used with some, as I have an allergy to milk and meat).

Generally PVC is fine, although I've seen a few items which have latex and pvc being used, but generally it's rare. Often things like pvc suspenders with latex rubber clips, but more and more are using metal or silicone clips now.

So far silicone rubber (which shouldn't contain latex) hasn't been found to cause allergic reactions, although there hae been a few auto immune response cases from it with medical implants, but this can happen with any thing being used for implants.

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.