• How soon do you say "I love you"?

Stephanie [sign in to see picture]

Have you seen our new survey?

Are you a Ted Mosby, declaring your love on the first date, or are you more of a Robin Scherbatsky, never really saying "I love you" but showing your love in other ways (like by saying "you're an idiot")?

Even if you don't watch How I Met Your Mother, we want to know how soon you say "I love you"! Have you ever said it by accident? Do you say it every day or are you more coy about your feelings?

Let us know and you could win one of three romantic gift sets (as seen on TV!).

Take the survey for a chance to win.

rose hip [sign in to see picture]

It's been close to a decade since I was with anyone who could even cope with my saying it....

Ikey [sign in to see picture]

I say it several times a day and I feel really bad if I realize that I haven't said it all day. My OH is probably sick of hearing it with how often I say it. :P

mrs average [sign in to see picture]

I say it when I feel it to the people I love...simple.

If I love someone I say it and if I don't I won't. It shouldn't be said for effect or because you think you should, but it shouldn't be held back if it's how you really feel.

Taylor77 [sign in to see picture]

It may sound cliche, but when the time is right, you will say it and mean it, a moment more spontaneous than anything else.

Fluffbags [sign in to see picture]

For me it has always seem to be between the 6 months to a year mark.

I remember my ex let it slip by accident just after sex. Clearly he didn't know how I would take it because he said "I L.....(Awkward silence) ...fancy a cuppa?" lol.

With my current parter it was really awkward and blush worthy too. I felt too shy so I said something like "Have you ever wanted to tell someone something but you are too shy to say it?" (cringe) and he said "Nope... I love you too" Cue lots of squirmy blushing.

Clearly I suck at initiating the Love word, but once that initial "I love you" is out the way, I feel fine saying it all the time. I tell him daily that I love him.

It gets me out of trouble too!

"hunni, I had a sex dream about ian Somerhalder"

"I looooove youuuu"

Ashe [sign in to see picture]

I say it maybe once or twice a month... and even then, only when I'm in the midst of an emotional meltdown, I don't like saying things that don't need to be said, I prefer actions. My last girlfriend seemed to have issues with my lack of expressing emotion, but honestly for me it's just pointless XD

Mr&MrsTickle [sign in to see picture]

survey done ! we say it to each other every day and usually the odd text as well when we are both at work.

cheer_up [sign in to see picture]

Survey done.

I've been in love twice - the first time I said it to him after about three months, the second time I was already very much in love with him before we really got together so had to hold it in for a while. Once it's said it's said though, and as a rule I have to tell them every day or it feels weird.

Embarassingly enough, if I've had really good sex I feel like saying it. Doesn't matter who it is. It's never actually come out but it always takes me aback - have to have a stern word with myself to reign in all that post-coital oxytocin.

MissChar [sign in to see picture]

Before, it took me maybe 3-4 months to say it, but with my current partner I said it the second day I saw him...and I really do not regret it! :)

DavidB1986 [sign in to see picture]

With my husband, it took maybe 4 months? I was the first one to say it, but I was so terrified of actually having to say it.. so I took the wimpy option...

... I told him I loved him for the first time over MSN Messenger!

We spoke every day over MSN and we saw each other on an almost daily basis. I enjoyed spending time with him, and it got the point where I was just miserable when he wasn't around. Was this love? I had never felt like this about anyone.. so one night when we were chatting... I put the dreaded words down on the screen, hit enter... and then I ran away! I went all the way down stairs and just started gibbering "oh god, what have I done.. oh you are an idiot..".

My mum came out and asked me what was wrong, so I told her.. and she was like "well what did he say?". I just started blankly and said "I don't know. I ran way". "WELL GET BACK UP THERE AND FIND OUT". So I slowly went back up stairs, and I could see the chat box flashing indicating there was a new message.

I slowly sat down, brought the window up and stared at the message on the screen.

" I love you too. And i've been wanting to say that for a while now".

I literally just sat there shaking and crying.

And here we are, 10 years later.

crazy horse [sign in to see picture]

Aww, David. you just cheared me up!

Alastor [sign in to see picture]

That IS sweet. xx

DavidB1986 [sign in to see picture]

crazy horse wrote:

Aww, David. you just cheared me up!

haha aw glad I could help! :-)

tickingsexbomb [sign in to see picture]

I have found that saying “I love you” has nothing to do with the person sitting across from me, it has everything to do with me. When you love yourself, you love everyone and you are not afraid to say it. Maybe I'm selfish that way ?

flaneur [sign in to see picture]

I've had a few people say it. I don't for one second believe that any of them meant it. It's saved for someone who feels like they are right for me, there is no golden time period just that criteria, and I'm doubtful that I'll ever say those words any time soon or hear them without being asked for money soon afterwards.

Little Strummer Boy [sign in to see picture]

based on my past the answer is an unequivable too soon!

SophieM [sign in to see picture]

Although I've never been in love so to speak, even with my friends and family I'm more of a 'here's an insult (or two) when really I love you but won't say it' kind of person. I definitely take after my dad!

Wildcherry [sign in to see picture]

With my husband we had been talking/dating for 3-4 months and i was really poorly so i stayed at his so he could look after me and he said it then. I guess i had wanted to say it before but i was a little afraid to.

10 years later i say it 2/3 times a day every day to him and him back (even more if were going through a rough time), but i never get sick of hearing it lol.

Candied Citrus [sign in to see picture]

Well, I fell for my partner around the November of the year before we started going out; we went on our first date in the May after and our relationship went from there. I remember I wanted to say it to him very early on into us actually being together, but I was worried that it might be "too soon". I remember reading and watching advice channels where they were like, "If you feel nervous about saying "I love you" to someone, that maybe tells you something about how you expect them to respond." And so I was all worried about that, because I was nervous as all hell (mostly because of my own insecurities and never having had my feelings for someone reciprocated before - it was quite the novelty (still is, really)).

When I finally did say it to him, it was sometime in July. I can't recall the exact specifics of the situation (I remember where we were, but not what we were doing), but he said it back and then we both admitted that we'd been nervous about it and wanted to say it to each other for ages.

We say it quite often to each other now. It always makes me happy when he says it to me, and I love letting him know.

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.