• The worst customer service I have ever received...

-Chelsea [sign in to see picture]

Was today.

I thought this would be an interesting viewpoint for you all as it our job as LH Customer Care to go above and beyond for our lovely LH customers and the whole situation appalled me so much, I felt compelled to write about it .

I also wanted to hear your experiences so us here at LH HQ know exactly what it is that makes you tick, makes you :-) and what you think the classical components of customer service are.Now, I am not saying everyone gets it right ALL of the time but I like to think customer happiness and satisfaction is numero uno on the list of priorities(especially ours!!) So here goes....

I commute to work at LH HQ every day and we all know that commuting is:

a) EXPENSIVE

b) time consuming

c) mind-numbingly boring

d)unreliable and unpredictable

but it has to be done! So today, I put my card in the ticket machine, paid for my train ticket and what should happen? A huge, red error message saying: ERROR. CANNOT PRINT TICKETS. PLEASE CONTACT TICKET OFFICE.'

With 5 minutes to spare, I thought it should be OK as my train was on the first platform so off I popped to the ticket office where I explained my predicament (this point with my hair a bit squiff, sweat pouring down my face and my bag on the verge of splitting!)

The response: 'Yeah well, you will have to pay again because how do I know you ain't lying? If you want to make a customer service complaint, you will have to do it in writing."

I must admit, I did stand there pretty perplexed as I can never imagine being quite so bereft and abrupt myself so I replied 'Miss, I travel on this service every day. I normally pay the off peak prices and I am just trying to make my way to work as there is not another train for an hour. I appreciate you will have to check the machine and I am happy to give you my details to assist you in any way that I can but I have paid for my ticket and will be happy to prove so.'

She then retorted. 'Yes but you must understand our procedures and that we will lose money.' Clearly, not listening to the fact I had already paid for the product and I too, would lose money.

To cut a long story short, it ended up in her going to her supervisor who agreed that not permitting me to travel would cause further delays and hassle, especially as the ticket machine was now clearly out of order. She then proceeded to hand me my ticket but not before remarking 'I shouldn't have done that now and you've made us lose 4.35'.

Wow. Is all I can say. Now I don't know whether she was just having a bad day or whether this is commonplace for the rail network?

What do you all think? What is the worst customer service you have personally ever received? And the best?

Do we feel as if some companies/services have lost touch with their customers?

What does excellent customer service mean to you?

As always, I am more than interested to hear what you all have to say as this is a matter quite close to my heart, both on a moral and personal level and to steal Tesco's catchphrase 'every little helps'

:-) C xxx

ZombieCpl [sign in to see picture]

oh thats bad! The train services in my area are just as bad, the bus is far, far worse. I have complained so many times to my local bus service that myself and the manager are on first name terms! All they do is give me a voucher for free travel, even though the buses not being on time/ turning up/ going straight past costs me time and money. I have realised nothing will be changed and until it does, I refuse to treat any bus drivers on my route with any respect.

Lovehoney have perhaps the best customer service that I have encountered- simple, polite, happy to help and readily available. I think some companies simply do not know how to treat customers and that always shows, usually its money fuelled. I once booked some online tickets with my local train people and when i went to print them at the machine, it was out of order. I found a ticket guard and explained and showed him my reciept and he told me I would have to travel to a nearby town, print off my tickets then travel back to get the next train. The cheek! They know that people rely on them though so they can get away with it :(

I know ZombieCpl! It's one of the things I am really passionate about.

A similar thing happened to me a few weeks ago when I lost one of my tickets travelling back from London- I had EVERYTHING else including my receipt, online confirmation and the other half of the ticket but they charged me again!

That, I could understand more as I didn't actually have the ticket and can see why procedures need to be kept in place in that instance but today was totally unjustified and unnecessary! It's the only time I ever seem to exeperience problems.. Maybe with phone providers as well!

I am glad to hear the service you have received from us has exceeded expectations and I will be passing that info on to my manager

We do aim to please! (Excuse the pun..)

Lovehoney - Alice [sign in to see picture]

This is the biggest problem with working at Lovehoney - you get used to a better level of customer service.

I was recently shopping on John Lewis and had a simple product query. It was a make-your-own Christmas cracker set but had no details about what was included. They had cardboard outers. But what about snaps? Hats? If it was Lovehoney you'd hop on livechat and someone here would nip into the warehouse and double check. They'd then email the content team and we'd improve the description.

So I looked for a live chat option. Nope. Then looked for a phone option. Nope. So I emailed. Got an automated email saying someone would respond in 24 hours. 36 hours later had a reply to say my query had been passed to someone else. They replied 2 days later to say they had to forward the query to the buyers. So a whole week after my initial query I finally had an answer - snap & hats. Yay! I replied to say thank you ever so much and maybe their web content team could add the info so other customers could benefit from it?

Cue another automated email saying someone would respond in 24 hours.

Hardly terrible customer service, but I'm just so used to a higher standard and people wanting to help you out as soon as possible.

ZombieCpl [sign in to see picture]

Lovehoney - Alice wrote:

This is the biggest problem with working at Lovehoney - you get used to a better level of customer service.

I was recently shopping on John Lewis and had a simple product query. It was a make-your-own Christmas cracker set but had no details about what was included. They had cardboard outers. But what about snaps? Hats? If it was Lovehoney you'd hop on livechat and someone here would nip into the warehouse and double check. They'd then email the content team and we'd improve the description.

So I looked for a live chat option. Nope. Then looked for a phone option. Nope. So I emailed. Got an automated email saying someone would respond in 24 hours. 36 hours later had a reply to say my query had been passed to someone else. They replied 2 days later to say they had to forward the query to the buyers. So a whole week after my initial query I finally had an answer - snap & hats. Yay! I replied to say thank you ever so much and maybe their web content team could add the info so other customers could benefit from it?

Cue another automated email saying someone would respond in 24 hours.

Hardly terrible customer service, but I'm just so used to a higher standard and people wanting to help you out as soon as possible.

I would at least expect a phone number to call! I really do not expect anybody to respond to emails, phoning is quick and easy and live chat is even better. I would expect that for such a well known shop they would be on top of all that... and yes, I do expect lovehoney standards from everybody else, its a bit of a let down when I have to wait a week and a half for an order. Gets me thinking 'if only Lovehoney stocked loose bath plugs!'

ToxicJenni [sign in to see picture]

ive spent all day debating how stupid humanity is.

basicly i had a parcel delivered to me, so i stayed in all day waiting for it.

only to find out when i looked at the tracking they had left it next door (in a buisiness carpark..UNDER A RANDOM PARKED CAR.... now obviously this is not what any normal sane human being would consider ''left in a safe place. as obviously it was no longer there (whether or not it had ever been there being the main question)

que phoning around only to be told. '' if i want my post I shouldnt have such a hard to find door, and the courier was doing his best to locate my house.'' ...(i live on the main highstreet in the easiest to find door.

now if their mentally incapable of using their claw like appendages and small walnuts in their head to ring a door bell, surely the'd leave my parcel in the shop next door rather than leave it under a car in a carpark -sigh-

still fuming!

Lovehoney - Gemma [sign in to see picture]

One of my worst experiences was in Sainsbury's.

I bought some lovely strawberry and lime cider as a weekend treat, along with a whole load of food.

Despite having 2 forms of ID and my bank cards, the person behind the till refused, rather rudely, to serve me and said I looked nothing like my photos. He then loudly began accusing me of lying to him etc etc... much to my embarrassment.

Anyway, he called a manager over who quickly resolved the issue. I understand that it's policy to check, and I am happy to wait, but it's just not right to make a scene in front of everyone. I left red faced and upset. You shouldn't ever have to feel embarrassed when shopping!

My cider wasn't so nice after that. *Sigh*

I guess I'm just accustomed to lovely Lovehoney...

Alice- you would think John Lewis, a major corporation would at least have a phone number?! On a separate note, their advert really bugs me at the minute.

Toxic- that is not OK- I hope it wasn't us you were purchasing from?? That could have been a security issue- an unknown parcel under a car? Honestly.

Gemma- I feel your pain. I repeatedly get told by bouncers that the girl in my ID is too ugly to be me.

I'm not sure if this is a compliment or not.... :-/

Lovehoney - Gemma [sign in to see picture]

Lovehoney - Chelsea wrote:

Alice- you would think John Lewis, a major corporation would at least have a phone number?! On a separate note, their advert really bugs me at the minute.

Toxic- that is not OK- I hope it wasn't us you were purchasing from?? That could have been a security issue- an unknown parcel under a car? Honestly.

Gemma- I feel your pain. I repeatedly get told by bouncers that the girl in my ID is too ugly to be me.

I always try and see it as a compliment!

Hazy [sign in to see picture]

my friend got turned away from a club because the passport photo on her passport looked like she was too young. If the bouncer had looked at the ID he could clearly see that the passport was issued when she was 15 and she was old enough to get in. Instead he gave her a mouthful of abuse about being old enough to go to clubs.

ToxicJenni [sign in to see picture]

Lovehoney - Chelsea wrote:

nah, you don't use yodel as your a nice sensible company , you use my nice postman who always looks slightly terrified of me :)

...one of their drivers also broke one of my parcels as they dropped it as it ''was heavy'' , then started swearing at me because i refused to sign for a damaged parcel.

i actually tend to try and shop around if i get to a companys checkout and it says delivered by yodel, i usually go else where as i cant deal with the hassell

PinkPolkaDot [sign in to see picture]

The worst customer service I have ever received was when I was on holiday. I'm generally used to people being rude over there because I go there quite a lot but this one time was just out of order. I was in a clothes shop, can't remember what it was now. They had a jacket I really liked but they didn't have it in my size. So I grabbed it and took it over to the nearest member of staff - who happened to be a girl folding tops. I politely asked if they had the jacket in a particular size - "NO" seriously, that's the responce I got. And she didn't even bother looking up from her folding!! So I asked again - "Do you think you'll be getting it in sometime soon?' "NO". Now this wasn't just a regular no, it was a 'leave me alone, why the hell are you talking to me-no. I was so angry but I didn't want to argue with her so I just threw it down onto her neatly folded tops and left. I'm sure she wasn't pleased with that, and if I was in the UK I would have gone straight over to the manager and demanded they employ people who like working with others.

This isn't exactly bad customer service but I ordered something from a competing online sex toy retailer as I was offered a good discount. I decided to return it as I didn't like the colour and asked for a replacement in a different colour. I got an email earlier today saying the parcel will be delivered tomorrow - TO MY HOME ADDRESS. I'm away at uni so I think you all realise I don't want my mum getting my sex toys. Now I have no idea how they worked that one out as it was originally sent to my uni address and I even included a note providing the same address! Instead they chose to ignore my address and posted it to my cardholder's address. I am so angry as this probably means it's too late to do anything now as they don't have a Live Chat option like Lovehoney.

I'm sad to say the same thing has happened to me with Lovehoney not that long ago - a replacement item was sent to my home address when I included a note specifically asking for it to be sent to my uni address. Why do people feel the need to ignore requests like that? I'm not just asking for the sake of it, there is usually a good reason for that. The thing that annoyed me with Lovehoney even more is that I was told there was no request like that at all. I was basically told I lied about providing the address. Thanks for that.

I'm generally very happy with Lovehoney service but I was so very disappointed by that, more so because my mum then had to pay to post the parcel to me and there was obviously the risk of her opening it.

Other than that I seem to get good customer service pretty much everywhere. Thankfully

Oh Pink, I am sorry to hear that!

I obviously don't know the full details of what happened on that occasion but it could be the note with the request was lost /misplaced? I know this doesn't excuse it of course, but as mentioned in my original post, nobody gets it right all the time (as much as we would like to and aim to do so!)- I only hope you weren't too inconvenienced.

I can of course pass that feedback on as no matter whether it is good or bad, it helps us to evolve as a business and provide ways in which we can make things better and easier for you! I always advise customers if they wish to return something to give us a call and we can put a capitalised note in the order- that way there is definitely no chance of it getting missed!

I hope that by still using the forums, you are continuing to use our services and if you do have any future queries/problems- feel free to ask for me personally and I will do my upmost to resolve it for you

PinkPolkaDot [sign in to see picture]

No the note was defintiely there because they wouldn't have known what to send me otherwise. So they managed to read that bit but didn't get far enough to see the address bit.

No worries, I do realise that we're only human and we all make mistakes, it was just the fact that I was told there was no note included what did it really because I triple checked the note was there. I wish I could just ring up but I'm on contract which means I get charged a riculous amount of money for phone calls to 0800 numbers :( Here's one thing that could be improved - have a regular landline number available as well or something that's free to call from mobiles.

I was put off for a bit and didn't buy anything for about 2 weeks which is long for me, I used to make at least 2 or 3 orders a week! But I know Lovehoney has the best customer service out there and the one incident won't make me stop using the services :)

Fluffbags [sign in to see picture]

Wow that is shocking customer service. Sorry to hear you had to experience that!

My worst customer service experience was actually not technically mine, but it hurt me a lot.

My partner at the time had to go and pick up something from a government agency (paperwork or something) and in the course of doing so had to explain that he was doing this because I was ill. (I am registered disabled) He had our children with him at the time and the woman behind the counter said to him "Well, maybe you should of thought about that BEFORE you had kids" (I fell ill after I had my children) So basically what she had just said to him was "If your partner is ill enough to not make it to pick up these forms why did you even bother having kids?" NASTY!!

He didnt tell me about this until a few days later but it really hurt me. Such an insult! I couldnt even complain because he didnt pick up her name or any other information.

kato [sign in to see picture]

Hermes- please never ever use them. They put my parcel in the bin on bin day. I tried to tell them but they refuse to speak to the person receiving that parcel all they would say was they left it somewhere they deemed safe! Went back to the original company 6 weeks later of arguing I got my refund arghh

pacnatman [sign in to see picture]

You raise an interesting and sometimes tricky subject. A general observation I would make is that it is probably best not to automatically assume the worst of the individuals or organisation involved despite what you are hearing becuase it genuinely doesn't help your blood pressure or your own self-perception as you possibly decide they are trying to make an idiot of you via some mysterious, nefarious corporate conspiracy. You are probably dealing with simply too much incompetence for that to be possible.

The one generalisation I might allow myself to cautiously make is that the larger the organisation involved, whether private or public, the more likely you are to find occasions of this sort of behaviour as lines of command and authority get stretched over large geographical distances and spans of time. In your example, if you had been totally determined to follow up a complaint about the staff, the matter would probably have been referred to the supervisor's site manager who would have then reported it to a regional manager who then would have reported it the HR Dept who would then have issued advice to the Regional Manager who would have passed that on to the Site Manager who would then maybe have acted on it but more probably wouldn't have becuase the momentum of the occasion had been lost or he/she had retired in the meantime.

I used to work in the NHS, both in HR and in IT and I saw it all the time. Having said that I have also had my fair share of dealings from pretty poor, cynically exploitative small companies in the IT supply sector, so there are not any simple rules about it.

In the 30-odd years I worked for it, I was only rude to an internal customer once who was frankly being rude to me in the first place because she was on a high salary yet didn't know how to use a simple software function which she was embarrased by and apparently that was my fault and I should take the brunt of her anger over her embarrassment. I don't hold out much for the maxim that the customer is always right but I later reflected that if I had been in a better emotional state at that particular time I could have handled it much better to my advantage, not hers.

It's the same with your experience with the two rail staff. God knows what side of the bed either of them got out of that morming and dear knows what vile face-to-face abuse they have had from other customers over that sort of thing or just generally or even just before you reached the counter. They are probably never trained on proper customer communication skills, at least anything worth more than spit and they just don't know how to cope. If they had been equipped to deal with your grievance appropriately they could have left you in a position where you were just as frustrated but not angry at how rude they were to you becuase they simply hadn't been. That way you might still have been unhappy with the solution but not in as good a position to complain about it.

Best to just reflect on it and put it down to experience. I don't expect there will be any lessons learnt by them becuase of the nature of the monolithic organisation they work for. At LoveHoney it is more likely someone important would hear about you being rude to a customer and more likely as a consequence that you would have your ass chewed off within the hour.

AliMc [sign in to see picture]

Fluffbags wrote:

Wow that is shocking customer service. Sorry to hear you had to experience that!

My worst customer service experience was actually not technically mine, but it hurt me a lot.

My partner at the time had to go and pick up something from a government agency (paperwork or something) and in the course of doing so had to explain that he was doing this because I was ill. (I am registered disabled) He had our children with him at the time and the woman behind the counter said to him "Well, maybe you should of thought about that BEFORE you had kids" (I fell ill after I had my children) So basically what she had just said to him was "If your partner is ill enough to not make it to pick up these forms why did you even bother having kids?" NASTY!!

He didnt tell me about this until a few days later but it really hurt me. Such an insult! I couldnt even complain because he didnt pick up her name or any other information.

That's disgusting and totally inappropriate.

Fluffbags that is truly awful! It shocks me to know that such ignorant people still exist in today's society. You have to feel sorry for them really.

Pacnatman- what an eloquent point! To be honest, I think when you work in a customer service type role, especially one as personal and efficient as Lovehoney's, you are more critical of those sorts of situations.

As I say, she was probably having a bad day but I think it was more the way I was spoken to, rather than the handling of the situation. I'm only 22 years old and I feel sometimes that people believe that gives me a lack of credibility when I make a complaint or a point but I am an educated, well rounded person and try to treat people with deceny and respect at all times.

It's a bit of a catch 22 situation. We live in a society where freedom of speech is encouraged but I think sometimes that has caused a small minority of people to confuse this with blatant rudness and basic, interpersonal skills and instincts are ignored.

Of course, I could be reading into this one incident completely and she literally just fell out of bed the wrong way that morning

Plain Jane [sign in to see picture]

My only complaint with customer service

I arranged with customer services that. "leave in a safe place" was clearly marked in the lable

Was it. Of course not, I had to collect it from the post office, because, a, it wouldn't go through my letter box, b I hadn't agreed a safe place in writing with the post office.

My neighbouring shop happily takes in everybody's post for them, from the same postman

It happened again last week with a delivery of cables from BT so he obviously doesn't like me

Thread closed

This thread is closed, so no new messages can be posted.