• OH! Points Loyalty Scheme... Could it be better?

[suspended user]

suspended user

Your not being thick FrozenAngel :) you can't look at the description without opening a new tab. I also find it very annoying.

MissChar [sign in to see picture]

Yup that's the only thing I would improve really, I think it is an awesome scheme though that you don't get anywhere else! (Not necessarily talking about toys obviously) I think it's really generous,there are so many items available!

DavidB1986 [sign in to see picture]

Whilst I think the points scheme is great, I can't help but feel it's a bit of a rip off, pretty much like any other loyalty scheme.

I don't spend huge amounts, in fact, in total, since I created my account back in 2009, i've only spent around £650 (which equates to just over 4300 OH points) - a shame that the points weren't around back in 2009 otherwise I would have easily close to 6000) - anyway, take this for example:

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=17376 - it is £63.99 to purchase OR 15000 OH points. Now in order to accumulate enough points to get that, I'd need to spend close to £1500.

£1500 vs £63.99.

I think I know what I would do...

I personally think the points should just be used to get money off your orders, rather than for the purchase of other items, especially when it works out more to 'save' up OH points to get that item you really want, rather than just purchasing it outright.

But with that said, it is nice that such a scheme is on offer, and for many i'm sure it's a wonderful way to get hold of the odd little bits and pieces.. but for me, in order to get the stuff I want with the OH points, i'm going to have to spend alot more just to get it 'free' when I could just buy it and be done with it.

Not complaining or moaning, just my feelings!

repliquant [sign in to see picture]

DavidB1986 wrote:

I can't help but feel it's a bit of a rip off, pretty much like any other loyalty scheme.

Correct to some extent. It's not a rip off per se, but one of several methods of customer lock-in, designed to encourage them to spend more and more in a single outfit, and nowhere else. Pretty standard business practice. Same applies to the frequent flyer status, although it's a much more severe case — in order to really benefit from it you need to keep flying in those steel dildos (or composite dildos, nowadays!) from the same bunch over and over and over again ;)

Perhaps 'rip-off' wasn't quite the right phrase, I guess it's more the fact, like any scheme, the amount you have to put in to get something decent out of it, is grossly over-stated. I don't take advantage of my nectar points/clubcard points/boots points, because I don't shop their enough to make it really worth while, and even here, to get anything decent, i've got to spend stupid amounts of money... I'd much rather have the points translate into discounts - there's a few items on here that I would purchase in a heartbeat - if the price was lower (or if I could use my OH points as part payment etc) ;)

DavidB1986 wrote:

I'd much rather have the points translate into discounts

Yesh, but you have to remember it's a business, and any business practice in the end has to have tome sort of effect on the bottom line, and not in the red, either. They're not big enough to strongarm suppliers into 'volunteering' deep discounts, nor do they have the scale to do so, or offer permanent discounts. Had they operated on the scale of Amazon, I'm sure you'd enjoy your discounts, without the need for them to dress these up as points. As it is they use something that benefits them at least marginally, and most customers are semi-happy as well. When in doubt, recall that it is not a charity ;)

Lou22 [sign in to see picture]

I think that while it can seem like it takes a while to build up points it doesn't change the fact that we are getting something for nothing.
    I imagine many members like to build up their points to buy a bigger item but you don't have to, there are plenty of smaller items like batteries, lube, storage bags which i know i need all the time and you get points when you join it certainly wouldn't take you long to buy any of those.
    It might not be an item you really really want but your still getting it for free :)

I suppose that's true, and as I said, it's not a complaint directly about the points system, I think it's wonderful and more retailers (online especially) should be doing things like this to encourage repeat business, I just wish you got a little more bang for your buck, if you know what I mean ;) especially in these times where people are having to tighten their wallets.

TBH, I may never use my OH points. There isn't a vast amount in there that I would consider getting, or I have it already, but maybe in another 4 years, maybe there'll be something new in the catalogue that I can spend my points on!

[suspended user]

suspended user

I think it's a great idea. I don't really see how people can moan with after all it is free! :)

DavidB1986 wrote:

I just wish you got a little more bang for your buck, if you know what I mean ;) especially in these times where people are having to tighten their wallets.

I certainly do know what you mean ;) You can consider yourself lucky that you live on this particular island, or perhaps some adjacent skerries. From my point of view, you guys are getting your toys nearly for free. Around here the concept of discount doesn't exist (no, not really, whatever some might tell you), everything has to be imported, and then is resold at a full retail price, plus taxes, shipping costs, protectionist tariffs, and even labor costs factored in. It is also universal practice to slap a heavy markup on top of it all, anywhere from 10% to 50% of the total value of the original item. So if some organiks get a discount at a brick'n'mortar here, it means that the heavy markup is simply waived, or at least reduced to some extent.

For me it is cheaper to import stuff from the other side of this planet, pay for express shipping, and all those customs levies as well. Yes, still cheaper than just buying anything from the local outfits. It is also cheaper to get a Luftwaffe ticket to Germany, returning with a donkey-cart-worth of goods. It amazes me that y'all can have eleventy gazillion toys for the price of a pack of cigarettes, or a frozen pizza, anytime you want. I wonder what you would think if you had to pay the equivalent of 200 her majesty's units for something that can be had for 40 greenbacks in, say, Oklahoma ;) And then there are other places in this world, not too far away from your island either, where importing just about anything is prohibitive, in addition to killer prices in boutiques, where there is zero choice of anything. Or think of places like Colombia. It's all a matter of perspective.

So yes, you get little, a tiny wee bit, and only under complicated conditions, and you could have had much more but then you don't have to commit to anything up front, it costs you nothing if you don't use it, and they have yet another tool to use that keeps them afloat, and provide more choices for you. Yes, the world isn't fair. But it could have been much worse ;)

kev69 [sign in to see picture]

Is it possible to merge points from two accounts, both me and my partner have accounts and both buy things for each other as surprises, so one account wouldnt be a good idea, but would be good if the points could be linked??
    is it possibly or something that could be suggested??

Thanks
    Love the site and points

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.