• Fake Review???

Briona87 [sign in to see picture]

I admit I mention it because it gives me the feeling I have extra "responsibility" of sorts to write a truly thorough review. In my book, a detailed tester review means that people actually sit down and weigh all pros and cons they can think of. A "sloppy" tester review (one of the "Thanks for sending me this, folks, it is great coz it made my sexy man come sooo hard, we loved it." kind) on the other hand indicates people might have just wanted the freebies.

Should I be told not to mention something was a tester (because it makes people feel I might be lying or something), I wouldn't mention it, of course.

sleepycelia [sign in to see picture]

Blueeyes82 wrote:

if you are blogging, you should put down if it's been sent to you for free in return for a review, it's just the etiquitte but i suppose putting the review on lovehoney, it doesn't have to be mentioned. up to you if you do or not

Re: blogging, I don't think it's just etiquette - I know in the US the FTC requires clear disclosure about any press samples/sponsored posts/ads/affiliate links/etc.

I also found an article from the Advertising Standards Agency over here stating that you need to be upfront about sponsored/paid blog posts or videos (like youtube reviews) but it's a bit unclear on just recieving press samples or products for review without payment. Either way I always state if I've been sent something; it'd seem pretty shady not to, I think people appreciate transparency.

Blueeyes82 [sign in to see picture]

sleepycelia wrote:

Blueeyes82 wrote:

if you are blogging, you should put down if it's been sent to you for free in return for a review, it's just the etiquitte but i suppose putting the review on lovehoney, it doesn't have to be mentioned. up to you if you do or not

Re: blogging, I don't think it's just etiquette - I know in the US the FTC requires disclosure about any press samples/sponsored posts/ads/affiliate links/etc.

I also found an article from the Advertising Standards Agency over here stating that you need to be upfront about sponsored/paid blog posts or videos (like youtube reviews) but it's a bit unclear on just recieving press samples or products for review without payment. Either way I always state if I've been sent something; it'd seem pretty shady not to, I think people appreciate transparency.

That's it! Was racking my brains out to remember what it was!

Subdom27 [sign in to see picture]

I feel a sense of pride about being a tester - knowing that LH have sent me (sometimes expensive) items in exchange for my time and honesty. I write on the review that I was sent the item in return for an honest review in the hope that people will see it that way. If people choose to disregard my review because of it, then so be it. It's just their own cynicism getting in the way. I'd hope that most people see it for what it is though - an impartial, honest review.

I'd be interested to see what LH's thoughts are on it.

LibraLover [sign in to see picture]

Its good to see the other point of view. As someone who doesn't write a blog, I hadn't even thought of etiquette. I would like to know what Lovehoney think...

I don't think its cynisism, just ignorance (and I don't mean that in a bad way). Some people who aren't part of the community, especially new customers, don't know about the tester programme or how it works, "I got this a tester" can be confusing and, like Rosehip said, distracting. When I first read reviews like this I thought they were sent as sort of promotional samples, in a random way. I could be the only person who read them like this, but as I did thats why I decided to leave it out.

To answer your question JM88, what people think is good value is going to be different, but I guess its the same with everything. Lovehoney send testers to a variety of people and the reviews should reflect that. With my latest tester review, the Nexus Cadence, I really like it but only to the same extent as the Happy Rabbit, yet its twice as expensive, so I gave it a lower score. I mentioned that if you can afford to buy it without any worry then you should. I hope that answered your question?

LibraLover wrote:

Its good to see the other point of view. As someone who doesn't write a blog, I hadn't even thought of etiquette. I would like to know what Lovehoney think...

I don't think its cynisism, just ignorance (and I don't mean that in a bad way). Some people who aren't part of the community, especially new customers, don't know about the tester programme or how it works, "I got this a tester" can be confusing and, like Rosehip said, distracting. When I first read reviews like this I thought they were sent as sort of promotional samples, in a random way. I could be the only person who read them like this, but as I did thats why I decided to leave it out.

To answer your question JM88, what people think is good value is going to be different, but I guess its the same with everything. Lovehoney send testers to a variety of people and the reviews should reflect that. With my latest tester review, the Nexus Cadence, I really like it but only to the same extent as the Happy Rabbit, yet its twice as expensive, so I gave it a lower score. I mentioned that if you can afford to buy it without any worry then you should. I hope that answered your question?

I guess you're right about the ignorance thing, Libra. Especially as you have to click on Community to even get to the Testers area. However, this now leaves me in a bit of a quandary about whether I should even write it on there anymore!
    LibraLover [sign in to see picture]

Subdom27 wrote:

I guess you're right about the ignorance thing, Libra. Especially as you have to click on Community to even get to the Testers area. However, this now leaves me in a bit of a quandary about whether I should even write it on there anymore!

And I'm wondering if I should start putting it in! Lol! I don't think it matters too much as it obviously has both pros and cons, its the content of the review thats most important :) If Lovehoney had an official stance on it I'd be happy to go either way

LibraLover wrote:

Subdom27 wrote:

And I'm wondering if I should start putting it in! Lol! I don't think it matters too much as it obviously has both pros and cons, its the content of the review thats most important :) If Lovehoney had an official stance on it I'd be happy to go either way

Haha, what a mess this has all caused! You're right though. It is definitely all about the content. I'll just continue to do what I'm doing until we're told otherwise.
    rose hip [sign in to see picture]

One of the things we're seeing in this thread is how many variables there are. Even a simple statement of fact like mentioning that it's a tester means different things to different people. And money? Different budgets, income levels, needs, how much an individual values that type of thing, what offers are on at the moment.... I generally mention value only if I know an item is stand-out for its price bracket (good or bad) and leave it to the potential customer to decide for themselves beyond that.

Since all of these things can be interpreted in different ways, I think it's important to make sure the review stands on its own and gives enough information so it doesn't really matter whether it was purchased or a tester or a surprise gift.

Also keep in mind that some items (like a new LH product), categories or the theme or brand of the last testing round have a high proportion of reviews from testers. I think that changes things. On its own, a mention of it being a tester is just another bit. But when you get several of them together, it can skew the interpretation, especially for someone who isn't familiar with how LH does things. I'm personally in favour of more people leaving it out unless there's no other way to say what you mean more clearly. I guess that's what I most want to say here, my opinion is that we're all best served if the review gives enough information that how you received it isn't needed for clarity.

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.