• Fake Review???

    1421754929
    pinkanimal [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 1580
    • Joined: 5 Feb 2012

    Young and fun95 wrote:

    Lovebirds_x wrote:

    flaneur wrote:

    This whole thread seems to be about begrudging others. Times like this I think ot would be better if people didn't talk about the prizes they win from LoveHoney and the Testers they'd received as it seems to ignite jealousy from others. To be fair I can understand them. Most of us don't like it when a toy that looks perfect for them gets given to someone else to test. It gets worse when they read about them saying how lucky they are to get to test it.

    Well prizes are announced to the world through the blog, so I don't see why people should have to hide their joy at winning.

    Same for testers, really. Yes it's disappointing when you don't get to try out something you really like the look of, especially when it's something beyond your means at that time. But again, no reason why the lucky few should have to hide their happiness like it's something to be ashamed of. If it looks that perfect for you, you should be happy to read a good review before having to spend your own money on it rather than expect to be handed it for free then grumble that it wasn't you. That's how I see it anyway. I love when certain people get lingerie, for example, because they seem to have the same body confidence troubles as me and thus comment very well on the size and fit. I'm always happy when they get the item, even though I would have loved the chance to try it out myself. I could bitch and get jealous because I wanted the thing, but why bother. It's childish. 'You got something I wanted so now you have to shut up while I sulk and punish you for being chosen by at least not letting you be happy about it!!!'. Far easier to be happy for them, especially when they are so obviously happy to have been chosen.

    People will always get jealous. You also get people (like me incidentally) who genuinely feel happy for people when they get something they clearly wanted. This is said often in the tester thread. And everyone knows who got the item once the review is up anyway. So they may as well be allowed to show appreciation at being chosen!

    Totally agree, I love when people talk about what they got, especially if it's something they wanted, or they've been down and it's cheered them up. If someone's excited it's not their responsibility to protect others from getting jealous, people will always get jealous, like OP, hasn't even men these people and begrudges what they get. We're a community, we should be happy when someone's happy :)

    +1 this exactly. I love sharing with others my excitement and their excitement too.

    1421756525
    Young and fun95 [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 2825
    • Joined: 6 Jun 2014

    SR36 wrote:

    Young and fun95 wrote:

    Yeah about the whole "not real people" thing, they're a bloody good computer then! I recently started a thread about something personal that I was quite upset about and the responses, not just with advice but also just really kind words, meant the world to me, they definitely came from real people!

    (as a quick aside) - hope you're feeling better now Y&F- was wondering how you're getting on x

    Thanks :) I'm good, discussed with OH and calmed down a lot x

    1421790011
    SlinkyRat [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Major
    • Posts: 105
    • Joined: 5 Jun 2014

    Gosh, they get good wifi under bridges these days!

    1421791547
    Briona87 [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 1116
    • Joined: 29 Jun 2014

    SlinkyRat wrote:

    Gosh, they get good wifi under bridges these days!

    Access to c-mail has spread widely, from Ankh-Morpork all the way to Lancre (and Big Jim Beef, the border-patrolling troll who stamps any piece of paper with a half of a potato with an engraving of a duck (he did not know what should an official "seal" look like) has been apparently enjoying a fair bit of free time lately).

    (sorry, couldn't resist)

    1421792669
    SlinkyRat [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Major
    • Posts: 105
    • Joined: 5 Jun 2014

    For Lancres pioneering troll bridge of course. Love a bit of Pratchett.

    1421794033
    fairehlights [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 629
    • Joined: 18 Jan 2014

    Briona87 wrote:

    SlinkyRat wrote:

    Gosh, they get good wifi under bridges these days!

    Access to c-mail has spread widely, from Ankh-Morpork all the way to Lancre (and Big Jim Beef, the border-patrolling troll who stamps any piece of paper with a half of a potato with an engraving of a duck (he did not know what should an official "seal" look like) has been apparently enjoying a fair bit of free time lately).

    (sorry, couldn't resist)

    <3
    +100 brownie points

    I like posting about what I get, because I find it useful to talk to others that have the items about certain things with them. Not so they influence me, but to help me refine my thoughts, and maybe get alternate-use suggestions if I'm so disenchanted I can't bear to use it.

    1421794281
    Skitty [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 731
    • Joined: 8 Jan 2012

    pinkanimal wrote:

    Young and fun95 wrote:

    Lovebirds_x wrote:

    flaneur wrote:

    This whole thread seems to be about begrudging others. Times like this I think ot would be better if people didn't talk about the prizes they win from LoveHoney and the Testers they'd received as it seems to ignite jealousy from others. To be fair I can understand them. Most of us don't like it when a toy that looks perfect for them gets given to someone else to test. It gets worse when they read about them saying how lucky they are to get to test it.

    Well prizes are announced to the world through the blog, so I don't see why people should have to hide their joy at winning.

    Same for testers, really. Yes it's disappointing when you don't get to try out something you really like the look of, especially when it's something beyond your means at that time. But again, no reason why the lucky few should have to hide their happiness like it's something to be ashamed of. If it looks that perfect for you, you should be happy to read a good review before having to spend your own money on it rather than expect to be handed it for free then grumble that it wasn't you. That's how I see it anyway. I love when certain people get lingerie, for example, because they seem to have the same body confidence troubles as me and thus comment very well on the size and fit. I'm always happy when they get the item, even though I would have loved the chance to try it out myself. I could bitch and get jealous because I wanted the thing, but why bother. It's childish. 'You got something I wanted so now you have to shut up while I sulk and punish you for being chosen by at least not letting you be happy about it!!!'. Far easier to be happy for them, especially when they are so obviously happy to have been chosen.

    People will always get jealous. You also get people (like me incidentally) who genuinely feel happy for people when they get something they clearly wanted. This is said often in the tester thread. And everyone knows who got the item once the review is up anyway. So they may as well be allowed to show appreciation at being chosen!

    Totally agree, I love when people talk about what they got, especially if it's something they wanted, or they've been down and it's cheered them up. If someone's excited it's not their responsibility to protect others from getting jealous, people will always get jealous, like OP, hasn't even men these people and begrudges what they get. We're a community, we should be happy when someone's happy :)

    +1 this exactly. I love sharing with others my excitement and their excitement too.

    I think that in the beginning I sometimes felt a little bit jelly about testers and stuff, but I'm happy to say that I've gotten out of that quite quickly. Sometimes I feel a little pang of 'aah, I wish it'd been meee!' but I don't begrudge the person who got it and am genuinely happy that other people are having things happen that make their life happier. I like when people share that they got something because you can share in their excitement. Equally, I like to express my own excitement when I'm lucky enough to be chosen because no one else other than the people around here would really understand my elation at being chosen to test kinky sexy things :P

    1422016940
    Delboy1991 [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 1338
    • Joined: 30 Jan 2013

    They may of bought it on the last deal of the day. Sometimes my reviews I have brough face been late simply because I had forgot or not had the time. Maybe they didn't relalise. I don't think its fair to name and Shame. I would be so embarrassed! 🙈

    1422033978
    rose hip [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: General
    • Posts: 1212
    • Joined: 19 Aug 2010

    JM88 wrote:

    But i feel i have to say it was a tester otherwise i feel like im misleading the readers.

    I don't think it's misleading, unless it's a case where someone got a bit overexcited about free stuff, added something they weren't really interested in and didn't get on with it. But that can happen with stuff we buy too. If it's something new to you, you can just say that. Something like "Haven't tried one of these before so I can't compare it to others but man did it rock my world" (or more au currant wording ) gets the important information across. IMO whether you bought it, were gifted it or received it to test is usually secondary and sometimes distracting. I'd also guess that at least some customers see repeated comments about test items and want in on that rather than paying money for it.

    When I started reading and writing reviews, the trend was for very long descriptions of the packaging. Hardly anyone mentioned if it was a tester. Now the trend is for mentioning that it's a tester. This will change too at some point. I don't think the quality of the reviews will be much affected.

    My personal rule of thum is to give specifics about myself or my situation when I think they're relevant to potential buyers, like maybe something about my body shape in a lingerie review, but generally leave them out if they're not. I'm not sure how the fact that I have an item as a tester is really relevant to a person who's considering buying it. That's my take on it.

    Oh, and I can guarantee the OP that I'm real.

    1422034337
    JM88 [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 1212
    • Joined: 12 Nov 2014

    Ok rose hip, i will consider that! I guess ive just seen quite a few reviews that start by saying its a tester that i just kind of thought that was a sensible way to do it, but if its not necessary then i wont!

    The only positive for me is that as a tester i feel like i can really judge it as value for money or not. If its something i have bought then i feel like i was willing to pay x amount for it, but with a tester i can explain whether i feel the price is worth it or not.

    1422034826
    Lovebirds_x [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 2250
    • Joined: 24 Oct 2012

    JM88 wrote:

    Ok rose hip, i will consider that! I guess ive just seen quite a few reviews that start by saying its a tester that i just kind of thought that was a sensible way to do it, but if its not necessary then i wont! 

    The only positive for me is that as a tester i feel like i can really judge it as value for money or not. If its something i have bought then i feel like i was willing to pay x amount for it, but with a tester i can explain whether i feel the price is worth it or not. 

    For what it's worth, I generally only mention something has been a tester if the product isn't on the site yet. Just because I don't know how much it costs (and so can't really say if it is worth the money lol) and don't know what the description will say. One review I wrote, the product description ended up saying basically exactly the same as what I wrote in the review...which makes it look a bit lazy on my part, as if I'd just rewrote the description when I really didn't! So in cases like that I like to point out it was a tester.
    1422035081
    Blueeyes82 [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 1520
    • Joined: 19 Sep 2010

    As a tester, you have an unbiased POV, as you are not paying out of your own pocket, which leaves you able to be completely honest. If I spent £120 on a sex toy and it was rubbish, then my review may well be leaning towards being biase, which isn't 100% honest.

    But then what doesn't work for one person, may work for the next person.

    1422036255
    LibraLover [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 745
    • Joined: 16 Jul 2014

    I don't mention when it's a tester as I used to take tester reviews with a pinch of salt, knowing they hadn't paid for the product made me think they could just think it's good for something free. I know now that isn't the case, but for people who aren't part of the community it can seem this way. I think whatever you feel most comfortable with is how you should do it.

    I always try to imagine I've paid the price, as I think it being "free" is actually more likely to make you biased. And value for money is an important part of a review, if something that is £100 is as good as something that is £20, they shouldn't have the same score in my opinion.

    1422036469
    Lovebirds_x [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 2250
    • Joined: 24 Oct 2012

    Blueeyes82 wrote:

    As a tester, you have an unbiased POV, as you are not paying out of your own pocket, which leaves you able to be completely honest. If I spent £120 on a sex toy and it was rubbish, then my review may well be leaning towards being biase, which isn't 100% honest.

    But then what doesn't work for one person, may work for the next person.

    The problem I have found lies in the people with the opposite point of view; that you are getting free sex toys just to write them glowing reviews. One step away from paid reviews, basically. I've had people dismiss my reviews the minute they read the words 'free' or 'tester'. Some people just believe testers are required to be biased. I know I am being honest in a review, but people reading will often assume the opposite. Then again, those same people would call me a liar for not disclosing that I got a free item...but what they don't know won't hurt them in this case, frankly! If they want to dispute the honesty of my reviews, I'd rather they did it based on the content i have written...NOT the fact that I stated it was a tester product. I don't feel I review testers any differently than toys I have bought, so why have people dismiss me instantly by stating it on all my reviews? Testers definitely put more work into reviews, they are usually the more detailed and informative ones (bit of pressure to perform and 'earn' the product lol). Hence why they are chosen to review more items! To dismiss them is quite unfair. And no, I'm not just talking about my own reviews here :p Tis just something you should only really need to point out if there's a point to pointing it out, if you know what I mean? Lol that wasn't supposed to sound as self centred as it reads...*gets off high horse* :p I hope you get what I'm trying to say anyway!
    1422036777
    JM88 [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 1212
    • Joined: 12 Nov 2014

    LibraLover wrote:

    I don't mention when it's a tester as I used to take tester reviews with a pinch of salt, knowing they hadn't paid for the product made me think they could just think it's good for something free. I know now that isn't the case, but for people who aren't part of the community it can seem this way. I think whatever you feel most comfortable with is how you should do it.

    I always try to imagine I've paid the price, as I think it being "free" is actually more likely to make you biased. And value for money is an important part of a review, if something that is £100 is as good as something that is £20, they shouldn't have the same score in my opinion.

    You bring up an interesting point that i had never thought about! If you tested two vibes, one £100 and one £20 and they both gave you an amazing orgasm in 5 minutes, how would you rate it?

    If you tested them at the same time, then you probably would comment that £100 is a lot to pay when it does the same as a £20 vibe! But would you mark it down because of its price even though the orgasm was through the roof?

    If you tested the expensive one and gave it a good review and good rating, and then tested the cheap one and had the same experience surely the value for money on the old vibe wouldnt still be appropriate because theres a new vibe that does the business at a fraction of the price!

    Atm i think £60 for my greedy girl vibe is reasonable as the orgasms are great! But if a £20 vibe did the same job, then to me my greedy girl would feel too pricey. Likewise if i had a £100 vibe that did the same then i would feel like the greedy girl was very good value!

    A toy alone is very hard to rate price wise unless you have something to compare it to. Also it varies person to person. For me i wouldnt had paid more than £60 for a toy, but to others they probably think £60 is cheap! So its hard to judge it objectively sometimes.

    1422041330
    Blueeyes82 [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 1520
    • Joined: 19 Sep 2010

    Lovebirds, I see where you are coming from and it's a valid point.

    I am honest in my reviews, some u have been utterly appalled by etc

    For example, the LELO ORA 2. LELO sent me this to review, i was excited BUT i just couldn't gel with it, pretty much slated it. When i started out reviewing, i was always polite in my reviews but now i a, like 'fook it', why should i not be honest lol

    1422042895
    sleepycelia [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 744
    • Joined: 9 Jan 2011

    LibraLover wrote:

    I don't mention when it's a tester as I used to take tester reviews with a pinch of salt, knowing they hadn't paid for the product made me think they could just think it's good for something free. I know now that isn't the case, but for people who aren't part of the community it can seem this way. I think whatever you feel most comfortable with is how you should do it.

    I always try to imagine I've paid the price, as I think it being "free" is actually more likely to make you biased. And value for money is an important part of a review, if something that is £100 is as good as something that is £20, they shouldn't have the same score in my opinion.

    I usually put 'this is a tester etc etc' in my reviews but yeah, I always imagine that I've paid for it too! Price is a huge factor for a lot of people and it's important to address that, I like seeing people talk about whether they think a toy/piece of lingerie/etc is good value for money in their reviews.

    1422043474
    fairehlights [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 629
    • Joined: 18 Jan 2014

    I've recently developed the habit of saying what's a tester in the start of my review. I saw someone(s) else doing it, and now I can't kick the habit.

    I think it is kind of relevant, because sometimes I'll rate a product highly, but make the note that if I had paid for it, it wouldn't be quite as high- not because ''oooh free stuff'', but because I genuinely don't think it's worth full price, but on one of the many LH offers? Sure!
    I do always state this though, so.

    But as you say, I always imagine I have paid for it, to be as unbiased as possible.
    I get emailled for a lot of testers too, so it's not that I've picked something I super want and can't afford, but that I've been picked for something.

    1422044183
    jayandrach [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Major General
    • Posts: 351
    • Joined: 18 Jan 2012

    I never put that the product is a tester i find it is irrelevant information unless the company has highlighted to state it is a tester or review item (Boots for example have Review Panel Member next to the persons name so you know same with amazon) and like previous comments people will want to find out how to get on the review panel just to get free products.

    1422045165
    Blueeyes82 [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 1520
    • Joined: 19 Sep 2010

    if you are blogging, you should put down if it's been sent to you for free in return for a review, it's just the etiquitte but i suppose putting the review on lovehoney, it doesn't have to be mentioned. up to you if you do or not

    Post a reply to this thread

    Please sign in to post messages to the forum.