• Monthly photo competitions?

VioletWolf [sign in to see picture]

How on earth do you link the product with the pic? I've checked on my phone and laptop and can't see a way to do it, but when I uploaded my first photos, the linked product had been filled in?! Me and tech! Gah!

bondagegod [sign in to see picture]

You can't do that violet wolf. Lovehoney do that themselves if they want to link a photo to a product.

Oooooh ok! Well at least it's not me being technologically useless this time haha

Sorry I read it wrong what you put violet wolf you go to the product page and click the link there to link the two together. Best thing to do now is to contact customer care and they can link the product to the photos.

slinky binky [sign in to see picture]

Lovebirds_x wrote:

slinky binky wrote:

Throbinhood wrote:

Lovebirds_x wrote:

With regards to model of the month being 'unfair', this is a post Jess wrote back in 2014 that explains the selection process. I'm not sure if she actually picks the winners anymore but it's helpful to know how they pick the winners :)

'You've probably noticed that I'm the one who writes the Review of the Month and the Model of the Month Blogs every month. It's also me who chooses the winners (with occasional input from the rest of the team if it's a toss up between two great photos / reviews and I'm struggling to pick one!).

Here is the process I go through when choosing the winner and runners up for Model of the Month.

- Firstly I go through all of the published, uploaded images for the previous month. (this doesn't include avatar images or images which break the rules. Only the additional images you upload to your profile are counted in the competition).

- Next, I remove all of the photos which do not include a linked Lovehoney product.

- Next I remove all of the ones which are too small / close up / blurry / badly lit or have a distracting background or poor photography

- This usually leaves me with anywhere between 6 - 20 good images which have been uploaded by between 4 - 10 people.

- From these images I *try* to choose a unique winner every month

I'm always fair when selecting prize winners. I never choose based on personal preferences.

I choose winners based on the following criteria:

- Clarity (of the photo itself, as well as the Lovehoney product in shot)

- Creativity

And that's it!

I do keep a spreadsheet of previous winners and runners up which I cross-reference when I select the winners. Where possible, I try to pick a unique winner every month to give everyone a chance. This also stops one person from winning a £100 voucher every month and never spending any real money with us. (We are a shop, after all!)

Although I do bare in mind previous winners and runners up each month, I don't let this get in the way of a genuinely deserving winner from claiming a prize.

The way I see it, If you send in a genuinely brilliant photo worthy of a £100 voucher or 2000 Oh! Points, then it would actually be unfair of me to deny you the prize simply because you won once before. I also don't want people to think they can only win once, and then stop taking part once they've won. The competition would become very dire, very quickly!

I would rather choose a repeat winner who has genuinely sent in the best photo for that month, instead of pick someone who's photo wasn't as good, simply because 'they haven't won before'. To me, this is unfair on the people to spend the time to send us outstanding photos.

On a personal level, it's also important to me that, once the blog is published, if any of you want to query that month's winners, I can reply to you with my reasons for that winner being picked. In those cases, I want to be able to reply explaining exactly why I picked the winner and runners up, not just 'because they'd never won before'.

The best way to get your photo picked is to:

- Follow all of our photo guidelines to the letter

- Spend time taking your photos

- Use a nice clutter-free background

- Clearly show the product

- Upload several photos from different angles

- Get creative - with angles, filters, lighting, poses - this all sets the mood of your photo (just make sure the product and you are still clear!)'

I think the competition is judged perfectly fairly when you read how they go about it. It's not about sexiness or anyone's individual attractiveness or who is friends with who or who the staff like best, it's about who has captured a great shot of a Lovehoney product. The system works as anyone who can take a good, clear and creative photo is in with a chance. If you see the same people showing up often, it's because they spend more time and put in more effort perfecting their photographs, nothing else. There's no bias involved :)

Thanks for your time to explain the process

Thanks for explaining lovebirds. That does clear things up. I didn't know you worked at Lovehoney with picking winners and writing the blogs. I'd of thought you should have the title "LovehoneyLovebirds" so people know. I thought that would be standard policy 💟xx

I don't work at Lovehoney (I wish I did though haha especially writing blog content and such), like I said that was a post Lovehoney-Jess wrote on another thread. I remembered reading it at the time and thought it was really useful to know exactly how they did things so figured I'd pop it here for those who may have missed it, since I'm sure poor Jess (or whoever handles things nowadays if not her) is too busy to write it all out again :)

Sorry hunni I picked you up wrong, I'm blaming it on being tired lol 😩 I think you could easily work hrre, your reviews are terrific, as is your advice and your photos are absolutely stunning. Have you ever thought about applying? I'm more than sure someone with all your skills would be a very good candidate. I was about to ask you what you do when you impartially think your shots the best 😂 but I guess that wouldn't happen unless you're extremely confident, we're all our own worst enimies as ladies for critiquing ourselves. I think i know the thread you mean, was it where somebody was moaning about the competition being fixed or something along those lines? Lots of members got involved and jess offered to email the individual who was complaining a break down of how she decides. But I never went much further as I'd read enough lol. Jess must of posted the information you did into the particular thread? If I'm on the right page that is, I'm so often on the wrong book as I've just shown 😂😂 Thanks again for posting it hunni ☺ it really does help explain (even though i don't enter either review or motm competitions, it still interests me💟xx
    Throbinhood [sign in to see picture]

Do people just put the product discription in the box when uploading a photo or do they copy and paste the love honey link of the product page...Im confused now lol

Lovebirds_x [sign in to see picture]

Haha Slinky Binky I never think my shots are the best, not even purely in technical terms (as I've got bugger all confidence of any variety). There are a lot of very talented people here when it comes to photography :)

The only role I could apply for here would be an online only one as I live in Northern Ireland, bit far to travel to work to get to Bath! Though I don't have any qualifications or experience anyway so I wouldn't be a candidate even if an online role came up (which I have never seen happen anyway). All I'm really good for is being that annoying forum member that flits in and out of exsistence, whines entirely too much, says things in far more words than necessary and occasionally gives out some useful advice. Occasionally

And yeah it was the 'Model of the month: recurring theme?' thread that reply was posted in. Figured it'd be easier to copy paste one post than suggest people go search old threads as there's lots of them and that thread is quite long. Not sure if that's the thread you're thinking of, it's come up a few times that people think it's a fixed or unfair competition. I suppose I can understand how it would seem that way if you're looking at photos you personally find appealing and wondering why they didn't win rather than looking objectively at which photos follow the critera they use to judge them. It's easy to understand why the winners/runners up are chosen when you compare their photos to the above, I think :)

Lovebirds_x [sign in to see picture]

Throbinhood wrote:

Do people just put the product discription in the box when uploading a photo or do they copy and paste the love honey link of the product page...Im confused now lol

You can either paste the link or the product name and the staff will link it to the product, or you can go directly to the product page and underneath the product pictures you should see a link that says 'upload a photo of you', which will link it automatically for you :)

Ah that's the bit I can't do on my phone. Looking from a mobile browser there's no option to upload a photo directly from the product page. Know for in future, thanks Lovebirds 😄

Lovebirds_x wrote:

Throbinhood wrote:

You can either paste the link or the product name and the staff will link it to the product, or you can go directly to the product page and underneath the product pictures you should see a link that says 'upload a photo of you', which will link it automatically for you :)

Ok got you now thanks :)

VioletWolf wrote:

Ah that's the bit I can't do on my phone. Looking from a mobile browser there's no option to upload a photo directly from the product page. Know for in future, thanks Lovebirds

Yes I looked on my phone too and the option doesnt seem to be there so I will use my pc to upload future pictures

If you turn your phone on it side the option does come up to upload a photo but it still doesn't work so best to do it from a few photo.

bondagegod wrote:

If you turn your phone on it side the option does come up to upload a photo but it still doesn't work so best to do it from a few photo.

ok thanks for tip

Im still waiting for my photos to get uploaded, guess it takes longer at weekends

Hopefully they'll be up soon

Think I did about 6 now lol

delilahxx [sign in to see picture]

Throbinhood wrote:

Im still waiting for my photos to get uploaded, guess it takes longer at weekends

They are only checked Monday to Friday. It usually only takes a day or two during the week :)

Oh dont they work weekends, how dare they lol

How rude! I would complain more but I've got the weekend off and am thoroughly enjoying it!

VioletWolf wrote:

How rude! I would complain more but I've got the weekend off and am thoroughly enjoying it!

Nice , I get every weekend off lol

I got bored so changed my avi

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.