• Reviews on discontinued items

mamz [sign in to see picture]

I see people still reviewing items that have been discontinued and that are sold out. Even a member of the staff has done it recently. I don't see why some would do this. I still write reviews on discontinued items that are still in stick because I wanna provide a little more help to costumers hesitating to buy the item, so I see why some would review discontinued items (and have found it usefull as a costumer as well), but I don't get why one would review one that is out of stock and never gonna be restocked again.

Is there a reason that I've been missing?

DavidB1986 [sign in to see picture]

It could be because they are practising their review writing skills in order to be considered for the Tester Program.

Also, whilst Lovehoney may not stock it anymore, somewhere else might, so the review is still actually helpful (to some degree).

kalekalliope [sign in to see picture]

I realise this may not always be the case, but perhaps the person actually wrote the review before the product went out of stock, then it sold out in the interim before the review went live?

Lovebirds_x [sign in to see picture]

When people search for reviews for the item, it still brings traffic to Lovehoney which gives them a chance at making a sale. That'd be a good reason to at least allow members to do so if not encourage them to.

As I recall some staff members (and indeed members) have made the argument that it's still helpful to have the reveiws out there, even if you can't buy it here anymore, while others believe it would be better to put your reviewing efforts into something currently available here. It's not like things automatically cease to exsist once Lovehoney stops stocking them though so people will still likely want to read about discontinued items that are available elsewhere and Lovehoney do like to provide helpful resources in their quest towards sexual happiness for all. That's a more warm reason for these reviews to exsist than to simply get traffic.

Plus, if an item is discontinued swiftly after a bad review or two then gets a good one out of the blue, it could be cause to reconsider stocking it in case the bad reviews came from a stock quality issue or were simply bought by people who disliked them. It could happen.

That's my thoughts anyway. There's probably a good reason or Lovehoney wouldn't let it happen, I guess!

I was specificaly talking about this review (evewn if there is plenty of other cases): http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=25004&reviewid=146209#customer_reviews

The item has been out of stock for a while I think, and is not going to be reconsidered because they cme out with a new one to replace it. Also, since it's a lovehoney product, it can't be sold anywhere else. What do you think?

wooferspoofer [sign in to see picture]

it could be because when you read up on how to become a tester it does say you can write reveiws on toys purchased at any time on lovehoney maybe people are doing that without realizing that some toys previously purchased are out of stock.

Vanilla_Kink [sign in to see picture]

Perhaps the item is still live in Australia? I have no idea, I review discontinued items but not ones that are sold out x

kalekalliope [sign in to see picture]

I wondered about the Australia thing too Vanilla_Kink, it could be a possibility.

slinky binky [sign in to see picture]

That was what i thought, maybe its still available in Australia as I have seen this to be the case where products are sold out and disconnected here but they're available on other LH sites i.e the doxy skittle which went out of stock recently but was still available on the U.S. site when I looked. Xx

Lovehoney - Leanne [sign in to see picture]

Sometimes reviews can take a couple of days to edit and then they go live. Sometimes a review is submitted when the product is still able to be purchased and then is discontinued.

Also even staff are sent reminders about reviewing, so if the item is discontinued we still expect a review in exchange for receiving the product. 

All reviews are used to help us internally too . For example the toy cleaner has been released with new branding , we can still get an idea if that is working out in comparision to past reviews on the previous brand.

Sweet Cherries [sign in to see picture]

This actually was still available on Australia until the other day. I bought another bottle a week ago.. Thursday last in fact.

Last weekend it did say sold out but it's only been discontinued for a few days..

I didn't realise that it had been discontinued until I saw the replacement on the uk site.. I look on both sites because of code (as you mentioned mamz), plus not all product is avail in Australia..

Everything comes to the au site a week or more later, like the deal of the week is last week's deal of the week..

slinky binky [sign in to see picture]

Makes complete sense, thanks for explaining Leanne xx
    I've been thinking about reviewing lately and i have lots of discontinued stuff thay i would still review because it would help if the products available elsewhere and itd also help the review numbers go up. I've written many reviews. Im certain i don't have the best technique but I feel since joining here I've been overwhelmed by the amazingness of the site, so it'd be a nice day to show appreciation. I'm not talking tester style, too much pressure for a self concious person like me these days. It'd be my way of saying thank you to Lovehoney for being such a fabulous site, so well ran and the communities helped me alot too so if I could help a member with a review and help put the numbers up it would feel good. I need the courage though because im my own worst critique and dont want to feel like i did a bad job as thats happened previously on a site where thankfully you can edit the review at a later date.
    Is there a possibility of changing things in reviews here Leanne? Sorry I know my questions a little off topic, I wasn't sure whether to make a thread but since I'm talking about reviewing discounted items too i hope its ok to post here? Xx

popk1n [sign in to see picture]

Tbf I have done this a couple of times. Honestly, it is just to increase my review number and show my enthusiasm for reviewing, in regards to the tester scheme :)

Laveila [sign in to see picture]

Tbh I did it few times, because I wanted to increase the number of my reviews, or it also happened that when I reviewed some item, it was still in stock, even if just limited numbers. Interestingly, I wrote one review for discontinued item, namely http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=21349 and it later appeared back in stock and been available ever since.

Thank you all, I now see the point of writing reviews on discuntinued items. I tend to write my reviews thinking about the other costumers but I forgot that they help Lovehoney as well! So I think i'm gonna write reviews on discuntinued items when i'm done with all the reviews on the products i've bought recently !

Sorry for being a bit late with the reply.

Do you guys have any other tips on how to increase my reviewing skills? (besides learning english)

NatandTom [sign in to see picture]

mamz wrote:

Do you guys have any other tips on how to increase my reviewing skills? (besides learning english)

I think you're doing ok as you are, many people start with shorter reviews, but you're already including a good amount of detail, so you're doing good. My best advice is to just talk about your experiences with the product and be blatantly honest. We all find different types of reviews helpful, I like lengthy and detailed, but that's just me!

Beast Of Formalities [sign in to see picture]

If I love a product that's been discontiued, and so do others, Lovehoney could reconsider restocking it? That's what goes through my head when I write these reviews.

Plus I like to be consistant and review all the things I buy, unless I feel like i haven't got much to say about something.

Vanilla_Kink [sign in to see picture]

mamz wrote:

Thank you all, I now see the point of writing reviews on discuntinued items. I tend to write my reviews thinking about the other costumers but I forgot that they help Lovehoney as well! So I think i'm gonna write reviews on discuntinued items when i'm done with all the reviews on the products i've bought recently !

Sorry for being a bit late with the reply.

I haven't read your reviews so it's possible you already do this. But I find it so helpful when people include their measurements on lingerie reviews. I only read reviews on lingerie written by people with similar measurements to myself :) as NatandTom said though, we all write them differently and have different preferences when reading other people's. I'm the opposite to NatandTom as I prefer reviews that just get to the point x
    NatandTom [sign in to see picture]

Beast Of Formalities wrote:

If I love a product that's been discontiued, and so do others, Lovehoney could reconsider restocking it? That's what goes through my head when I write these reviews.

Plus I like to be consistant and review all the things I buy, unless I feel like i haven't got much to say about something.

I guess it would depend on how well it did the first time/if the supplier was any good and whether they were still being made by the manufacturer. They have restocked a couple of things though, liberator wedges come to mind! If you want to ask them to consider stocking something then it may be worth asking on the pander to me thread :)

Also Mamz, your English is pretty good! 

NatandTom wrote:

Beast Of Formalities wrote:

I guess it would depend on how well it did the first time/if the supplier was any good and whether they were still being made by the manufacturer. They have restocked a couple of things though, liberator wedges come to mind! If you want to ask them to consider stocking something then it may be worth asking on the pander to me thread :)

Also Mamz, your English is pretty good!

If I was in lovehoney's place and see that an item discuntinued by the manufacturer has good reviews and sold well, i'd consider making an item similar with all the good points of the discuntinued one (without copying, just inspired by what was liked about it)

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.