• Why have separate product pages for colour options?

[suspended user]

suspended user

Hello, Lovehoney!

After noticing this product http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=35578 in the "What's new?" category I scratched my head a little and decided to finally ask a question I've wanted to for a long time... Why do you make separate product pages for the same identical product sold in different colours? In my above example's case the blue was one option on the now only pink's page here http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=20728 up until recently.

But there are lots and lots of examples of this separation all over the site, yet some are still managed as choices for the same product (such as this one: http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=21149).

LeilaK [sign in to see picture]

Good question Era, I'm curious myself. It does seem a bit strange.

Lovethekink [sign in to see picture]

Is it to do with when one is bought out at a different time than the original.

I know when we bought our matric sysil edge there was only one colour option. Then a few months later they introduced a separate colour so they had a separate page.

But when some new items go up with two colours available straight away they have the options on the one page.

Could possibly be why? So it gets more views too maybe under male toys and female toys

[suspended user]

suspended user

Lovethekink wrote:

Is it to do with when one is bought out at a different time than the original.

I know when we bought our matric sysil edge there was only one colour option. Then a few months later they introduced a separate colour so they had a separate page.

But when some new items go up with two colours available straight away they have the options on the one page.

Could possibly be why?

Nope. In my example of the butt plugs above it's been years that pink and blue were offered on one page as options (up until this month even!).  And now they've become two pages. And I have noticed this pattern with colours separating later, rather than arriving later to the offer with ref. to most of the examples I could come up with.

Lovebirds_x [sign in to see picture]

I'd be interested in this too, seen a fair few products split into seperate pages rather than having colour options. Seems like a lot of work so I'm thinking there's a good reason?

Maybe it's just to catch peoples eye/increase sales by being to display all the colours so people don't skim past products without realising it comes in other colours they'd prefer?

[suspended user]

suspended user

Lovebirds_x wrote:

... Seems like a lot of work so I'm thinking there's a good reason?

Maybe it's just to catch peoples eye/increase sales by being to display all the colours so people don't skim past products without realising it comes in other colours they'd prefer?

This.

Also because they even shoot videos with the 'other' colour to put on the split page, so they really do put a lot of work into it. They really must have a good reason to do so. I would think it's not just for making them more visible on first glance...

[suspended user]

suspended user

So, I'm just browsing to kill time and refresh my wishlists... and this is one typical (and quite absurd) example:

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=13884 (black) - the video mentions both colours and Lisa presents the purple one;

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=33704 (purple) - video reshot with Annabelle presenting... yes, the purple one!

MK7 [sign in to see picture]

I would assume it's simply for convenience of processing orders and/or website formatting.

Lovehoney - Jess Wilde [sign in to see picture]

Hi everyone! 

This is a good question. 

I fired it over to our Online Trade Team (aka the O.T.Ters) who have said that according to our data, our customers find it easier to find products when they're split into their separate varieties. 

So, there ya go! 

Sum Sub [sign in to see picture]

Lovehoney - Jess wrote:

Hi everyone!

This is a good question.

I fired it over to our Online Trade Team (aka the O.T.Ters) who have said that according to our data, our customers find it easier to find products when they're split into their separate varieties.

So, there ya go!

But if your data only contains details of separated products then that's what your data is gonna say....

Sum Sub wrote:

Lovehoney - Jess wrote:

Hi everyone!

This is a good question.

So, there ya go!

But if your data only contains details of separated products then that's what your data is gonna say....

All product varieties used to be listed on a single product page. This method of separating them into different products has only been used in the last 18 months or so. 

From taking our stats from 10 years of grouping items together, and comparing them with the last 18 months of splitting them, I've been told we can see a big increase in sales post splitting. 

Lovehoney - Jess wrote:

Sum Sub wrote:

Lovehoney - Jess wrote:

Hi everyone!

This is a good question.

So, there ya go!

All product varieties used to be listed on a single product page. This method of separating them into different products has only been used in the last 18 months or so.

From taking our stats from 10 years of grouping items together, and comparing them with the last 18 months of splitting them, I've been told we can see a big increase in sales post splitting.

But... how much of that is underlying growth in business a day how much is due to change in presentation? If I was on Twitter I'd hash tag workmode

Sum Sub wrote:

Lovehoney - Jess wrote:

Sum Sub wrote:

Lovehoney - Jess wrote:

Hi everyone!

This is a good question.

So, there ya go!

But... how much of that is underlying growth in business a day how much is due to change in presentation? If I was on Twitter I'd hash tag workmode

In all honesty, I have no idea! 

Definitely a question for the OTTers. Maybe one of them will pop in and comment themselves. 

One thing I can tell you is that it really does create an awful lot of extra work for nearly all departments, so there must be a verrrrry good reason for it! (I bloomin' hope so anyway!)

Boogaloo [sign in to see picture]

I personally find it easier when all the colours are merged on to one product page, otherwise I may not even know that other varieties exist unless I go out of my way to look for them. But each to their own I guess, maybe I'm just a bit of a numpty! :p

Boogaloo wrote:

I personally find it easier when all the colours are merged on to one product page, otherwise I may not even know that other varieties exist unless I go out of my way to look for them. But each to their own I guess, maybe I'm just a bit of a numpty! :p

+1

Lovehoney - Jess wrote:

Sum Sub wrote:

Lovehoney - Jess wrote:

Sum Sub wrote:

Lovehoney - Jess wrote:

Hi everyone!

This is a good question.

So, there ya go!

In all honesty, I have no idea!

Definitely a question for the OTTers. Maybe one of them will pop in and comment themselves.

One thing I can tell you is that it really does create an awful lot of extra work for nearly all departments, so there must be a verrrrry good reason for it! (I bloomin' hope so anyway!)

I love this stuff. I can debate the hind legs off of a donkey when I'm in full flow.
    FrozenAngel [sign in to see picture]

How annoying! If I'm on a product page and only see one colour I assume you don't stock the other colours, that could then make me look elseware if I were looking for a specific colour.

[suspended user]

suspended user

Lovehoney - Jess wrote:

Boogaloo wrote:

+1

+2

And yes, this:

Sum Sub wrote:

is a damn' good question!

VirginAngel [sign in to see picture]

My initial thought was maybe they temporarily (but unsure of how long for) cannot get a certain colour to restock so remove it, then when it is available again it is easier to program a new page rather than edit an older one?

[suspended user]

suspended user

The mystery thickens (so to speak):

this one has clear and red options: http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=26278,

yet the red one has its own page: http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=34629.

I suspect OTTers will leave us guessing... or they'll offer me a job for spotting issues on the website LOL!

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.