• Reviewing toys against direct competition

Foxxy [sign in to see picture]

As a business, I'd welcome it. It would instantly highlight to me, where we were going wrong and the steps needed to improve things 👍🏼 I may not like the initial outcome, but it would put a rocket where it was needed, and help in the long run

Stuburns [sign in to see picture]

It could be an idea. It is only fair if you have 2 similar toys one you wrote a review on last month and one you wrote a review on yesterday to go back to the older review and say after testing both the first one I tested is slightly better. Or at least linking the older toy review in the new review saying that this is actually better.

Lovehoney - Leanne [sign in to see picture]

In regards to review edits :

If you really need a review edited then feel free to email me, it is not something we do often as you can imagine it can take a lot of time but I am more than happy to take a look. 

Also you are more than welcome to submit newer reviews and we can look to remove old ones just let us know 

*****sorry off topic , I just thought I would address that ! Carry on .........

Talia [sign in to see picture]

Gyrator53 wrote:

... I like to write reviews fairly soon after buying something but if it turns out to be short-lived I'd like to be able to add comments about that at a later date.

Same here!

Foxxy wrote:

As a business, I'd welcome it. It would instantly highlight to me, where we were going wrong and the steps needed to improve things 👍🏼 I may not like the initial outcome, but it would put a rocket where it was needed, and help in the long run

+1 on this 

Lol Stu, I agree with that, which is why I said it's something I do 😂 If I talk about any other product, on my site, I will always link to what I'm talking about if I can

I know I have done a review on fleshlights. Original and the smaller Go and I did compare the 2 products but felt at ease doing so because they are similar product same. I have also probably also written reviews with a comparison of 2 similar products by 2 different companies but do Lovehoney face any issues with the supplier when these reviews are written for example removing product or asking the reviews to be removed?

Stuburns wrote:

I know I have done a review on fleshlights. Original and the smaller Go and I did compare the 2 products but felt at ease doing so because they are similar product same. I have also probably also written reviews with a comparison of 2 similar products by 2 different companies but do Lovehoney face any issues with the supplier when these reviews are written for example removing product or asking the reviews to be removed?

I have not come across this issue in the short space of time I have been here and many reviews have gone live with comparisons. Maybe someone else could shed more light on this but it is not something I have faced.

I think most companies would welcome both the good and bad , without the bad how would they improve

I'm actually surprised that the womaniser didn't have patent. It was radically different to other toys or is this something that can't be done in the toy novelty industry?

Lovehoney - Leanne wrote:

Stuburns wrote:

I have not come across this issue in the short space of time I have been here and many reviews have gone live with comparisons. Maybe someone else could shed more light on this but it is not something I have faced.

I think most companies would welcome both the good and bad , without the bad how would they improve

Also if we ever do remove reviews (and that is rare ) There is a valid reason such as a direct copy of someone else's review , copying our product descriptions , it was submitted as a joke and they have never used it etc etc ! As that is not a valid review in our eyes 

Couple looking to spice things up [sign in to see picture]

I'm sure there was a similar debate whether calling toy him or her instead of the product name was 'right' . To me it's all down to person preference. As for a business bit, when a company releases a toy they have to be prepared for these types of reviews. I'm sure they actually like a comparison especially if their stepping on a competitors toe with a very similar toy. This way they know what they have got right and what can be improved.

I've never personally had an issue with a company not approving of me comparing to something else - whether it be comparing positively or negatively. At the end of the day, reviews aren't factual pieces, they're opinions of someone who has had experience with that product. Reviews are predominantly for the consumer, not the manufacturer or retailer.

As a side note, I'd be very wary of a business who did object to such critique. Competition is heathy and makes people strive to do better

Quiet ones are worse! [sign in to see picture]

Whilst you may compare things I would bet you cannot compare LH customer service policy, so even if an item is slightly more(here), one item returned could wipe out many savings on other sellers that don't offer such good service, as I know to my cost of non returnable goods to the value of £20!

[suspended user]

suspended user

Stuburns wrote:

I'm actually surprised that the womaniser didn't have patent. It was radically different to other toys or is this something that can't be done in the toy novelty industry?

The packaging of the Womanizer W500 states "Registered design patent filed". As far as I know this means they only asked a patent for the design / shape of the toy and not its functionality. Plus, in theory until one isn't actually granted the patent, the item in question is not protected. Of course, once the patent is granted, they can pursue a copyright infringement suit against the copy, in which case the copy might still prove that their product is diverse enough to not infringe any granted patents.

Skitty [sign in to see picture]

Stuburns wrote:

On upgrades then yes I can see the point of comparison. That's the same toy same company.
    For example of Skittys review if the womaniser was better in every way than the femme fatale would the review have been written with the negatives of the femme fatale in comparison bringing the womaniser out on top or would it have been reviewed as just negatives of the femme fatale without mention of the womaniser.
    By the way I'm not attacking any reviews I'm just interested in people's thoughts. As a business I wouldn't be happy anyone putting negative reviews of my product on a test of a competitors product.

Just to give my thoughts on how I compared the Femme Fetale and the Womanizer - I don't usually do direct comparison reviews, but I saw on the Tester thread that people were specifically saying they'd find a comparison between the two toys helpful, so I thought it was my duty as the lucky person to receive the Femme Fetale to compare the two, as I think I was probably specifically selected because I also have the Womanizer :)

So even if the Femme Fetale had been not as good as the Womanizer in my opinion, on any of the aspects I compared them on, I would have tried to compare them, but since it's a review of the Femme Fetale I'd maybe try to explain how it's different or things that it does do well.

I think comparison reviews can be really useful if two products are similar, especially because even if one person comes to the conclusion that they prefer a particular toy, someone else may read the review with different criteria for what they want and decide that actually the opposite toy would be better for them.

Talia [sign in to see picture]

Stuburns wrote:

They claim that the technology is patented - no idea how such a similar toy came about. Maybe they paid for the rights?

When there are 500 dildos to choose from everyone has a fair crack at the whip. When there are say just 2 off it becomes a little 1 winner 1 loser in some cases. I test golf clubs by all different manufacturers. I test these on their own merit for the purpose of everybody is different. I test them as a healthy 6 foot male of athletic build and how they work for me. Feel, ball flight, spin ( won't bore you with all details). They all work differently for me. Every different set. Realistically they are all doing the same fundamentals but I can only say how they feel for me. I wouldn't comment that A for me works better than B because that is just down to me so the write up is just about the set I am testing. In someone else's hands something I thought was bad for me could turn them into Tiger. I don't want to direct someone away from a particular set for that reason because fundamentally they do produce the same thing but people may avoid that set because I said A is better than B when for them it isn't but they have bought set A on my comparison and they most certainly don't work for them. Not to mention £500+ outlay is a big amount and it takes about a month to know whether they work. second hand though once they have been hit.
    Even if the review is solely written in terms of the individual by comparing you are still pointing people in a direction that may not be best for them.

Golf clubs and sex toys aren't comparable, in my opinion. I wouldn't generally review lingerie and say that something else is better, because I don't think that's appropriate. But, if I'm reviewing something which vibrates, and I say "this is very powerful and rumbly, much more powerful than the doxy wand" for example, although my opinions on vibrations are relatively subjective, you will know, if you own a doxy, a rough idea of where that item sits for you. Giving you much more opportunity to make an informed decision. I'm always clear, that what works for one, won't necessarily work for another, but by offering you a comparison, you can perhaps be better placed to decide if something stands a chance of being right for you

But the principal of golf clubs and toys is very comparable. In terms of spin a club can be designed to give you more spin than another. This matters very much in golf. I would only put in that review that I developed this much spin with this club. I wouldn't then say but this other set generated more spin. Again weight of the clubs can differ. How the sole of the club sits can also differ meaning my hands sit lower or even more upright. Believe me golf clubs are very personal even to the point of professional fitting and what I like and works for me is very different to the next person.

Like I said all golf club fundamentals are the same. They are all designed slightly different but the person gets the best out of them.

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.