• Guilt over negative reviews of tester items

VirginAngel [sign in to see picture]

Not sure if this is just me being silly, but I always feel really guilty and get really down and feel like I've let down lovehoney when a tester they've been so kind to send me I have to review badly for it to be honest.

I've been really lucky to be chosen a good few times as a tester, but of those, 3 have been negatively weighted reviews. I try to point out every positive in the item, and detail why the negatives were negatives for me, in the hope maybe it won't be for someone else, but I just feel like by the review being at least partly negative I'm losing them sales or being ungrateful of their incredible generosity of choosing me as a tester.

Of the 3 reviews that weren't overall positive, one i was the highest star rating reviewer out of 3 for the item but it was still only 2 stars (not live yet)

One i'm the only negative reviewer out of 4 reviews (was probably a defective unit is the conclusion i come to for that one)

And the final there are 14 reviews for and I'm the worst reviewer at 2.5 stars, the next lowest is a 3, but from reading them all I'm the only one who had specific issues i had with them.

Does anyone else feel like this? I feel like I'm as honest as possible in my reviews but then afterwards i second guess myself, going over and over was a too harsh, too petty/picky, especially when i compare my reviews to others. I don't have this conflict when I review items I've paid for, it's only with the one's I've been sent free to test.

pinkanimal [sign in to see picture]

Yes. But we are sent items to test and give honest reviews. X

Cuddlekins [sign in to see picture]

I think when you "pay" for an item you feel it's yours you own it, you have the rights to say its great or its bad. But when someone gives you something free you feel guilt as you want to like the item you want to love the item.

Don't feel guilty you will buy another item and review it fairly, all the items you have had you have reviewed by the same standards its just your brain making you feel guilt as you haven't actually paid for the given item.

Think of it of a sweet you were given as a child by a friend at school you never felt guilt then don't now (or at least I hope you didn't)

Just Jenson [sign in to see picture]

I've emailed them in the past saying the review will be negative and they have said to go ahead and post it.

This negative review is actually a positive for LH as it gives them an indication that the item is going to be a non-seller so they dont waste time on it in the future.

Obviously this wouldnt be based purely on one opinion alone. Also remember you may not be the only person receiving the same thing to test.

I know what you mean though - but they are relying on your honest opinion. What I try and do is find ways that would make it better and suggest them so the review is more constructive as opposed to a complete slagging off.

wildflower [sign in to see picture]

I wouldn't feel too bad about this although I do know what you mean, I do have a bit of a pang of guilt sometimes but it's best to be honest in your reviews. I think lovehoney would prefer everyone to be totally honest, that way they find out why certain items aren't selling well.

I've given some negative reviews of testers but can only assume lovehoney are fine with this and they don't think I'm being ungrateful as they still continue to send me items to test!

Kittyondrugz [sign in to see picture]

I did feel a little guilty when I started reviewing,but I now realise that all reviews help them improve their stock and get better items,hence get more sales.

truegrace [sign in to see picture]

I have had to leave a few negative reviews, but figure its better being honest and stop someone else buying said item only to return it than making something up and have 2 completely contrasting reviews confusing people!

MrsMcX [sign in to see picture]

You have to think of it this way, if you post a positive review on a tester product that is bad, lovehoney will order more stock. People will buy it based on your review and then lovehoney will get a load of returns because the item isn't good.

They want you to be totally honest so they know what to stock and what not to stock. Negative reviews are a good thing for lovehoney, they don't want to be selling customers bad products, they want to sell customers the best products. Just look at it as helping them out.

Poppea [sign in to see picture]

Even though I haven't reviewed anything as a tester, I understand your feelings.

But please, pretty please, do not stop being honest and don't ever say something is nice when it isn't. I'd rather read an honest review than one written favourably out of gratitude.

For example, almost every vibrator here is rated as "strong" and gets all bars (you know, where these green bars are on the right side of the page) and I simply sit there and wonder who is going to be fooled by those ratings. I mean, a little vibe with two little batteries and it gets the highest power rating? Really?

Because of this I for one am looking at other websites for reviews and I would be delighted to read more of those honest ones you write.

VirginAngel [sign in to see picture]

This has made me feel a lot better, thank you everyone, i know being honest is for the best, will continue to be so in both bought and tester items :)

snapper [sign in to see picture]

it is very difficult some one give you a toy for free and then you may have to sit there and tell everyone what you didnt like about it !

but thats what Lovehoney want , Im sure they would rather hear a negative review than one that is praising of a toy which they then stock an try to sell whilst realy it .... rubbish and not worth the money , then have loads of returns to deal with

IrishRose [sign in to see picture]

Dont feel bad about it! it was sent to you for you to give an honest review! how are people reading it supposed to make the desision to buy that item if all the review say its great but actually isnt so great!

The whole review system is based on being honest and as long as you were being honest you are fine

Dont stress x

Sum Sub [sign in to see picture]

This is a bonus of lovehoney and entirely voluntary, if you're going to feel guilty don't put your name down to test.

rose hip [sign in to see picture]

A single bad review can ruin a product's chances of succeeding. Sometimes that's deserved, but sometimes it's not, like if the reviewer's expectations were unrealistic. A simple example that comes to mind was a lovely sleep mask LH was practically giving away on clearance. The only review was short, grouchy and from someone who wanted a thorough blindfold. The review was honest to his experience, but it was misleading for others with different preferences who didn't take the time to read between the lines and scruntinise the LH specs.

After taking a look at some of your reviews, I think you do a bit of that yourself - particularly through your use of emotive language. This is from your review of the Tracey Cox kegel set:

"Unfortunately this is where the positives ended for me. I don't like how short the removal cords are, although they seem to be a standard length for Kegel balls. I used the single ball first, and I was constantly holding on to the end, which there wasn't much of externally once the ball was in place. Worried the ball may be sucked higher into my vagina and I wouldn't be able to get it out.

Removal was actually quite frightening. The combination of the balls being rather large, as well as the grippy texture of the silicone, I found it incredibly difficult to remove. I pushed as much as I dared, and tugged and tugged until eventually it came out. I was relieved, but a little concerned that the cord is so stretchy that it had to be pulled to its maximum stretch then tugged at, and the thickness of the cord was noticeably thinner, and it has been stretched out longer.

I am too worried to use the single ball again as the possibility of the cord snapping is a real fear."

I have the larger, double ball one and used it regularly for a couple of years. It is disconcerting how far the cord stretches but don't you think that if it snapped on anyone we'd hear about it on the forums, LH would take it offline, and the product would be redesigned? Worth mentioning that it bothers you, but when you use words like 'a real fear', they stand out, all the more so when you go on to highlight "possible breakage risk when removing" in the cons.

Also have a think about the likelihood of it getting 'sucked higher into your vagina' when the fit is so tight you could barely get it out.... Both are very off-putting ideas, especially with the clear image of someone who can't let go because the cord is so short. It's not, btw. Again, if this was a problem they'd come with longer cords. Like you said, this is standard length and has had plenty of road testing. But how many people are going to take the time to think all of that through? They're far more likely to respond to your emotive language.

That's something which seems consistent too, when you don't like something you really don't like it and the emotion takes over. The way I see it, your review was honest to your very individual experience but it's also misleading for the majority of potential users. Can you set aside your personal requirements a bit when you review?

(In your quest for your perfect kegel balls, look for a set with a loop rather than a cord which attaches at a single point. The double attachment points of a loop tend to make them easier to remove.)

Scorpius12 [sign in to see picture]

MrsMcX wrote:

You have to think of it this way, if you post a positive review on a tester product that is bad, lovehoney will order more stock. People will buy it based on your review and then lovehoney will get a load of returns because the item isn't good.

They want you to be totally honest so they know what to stock and what not to stock. Negative reviews are a good thing for lovehoney, they don't want to be selling customers bad products, they want to sell customers the best products. Just look at it as helping them out.

+1 I agree with this, by being a tester, we are helping Lovehoney to decide which products to stock. They really do need honest reviews xx

j&lxxxx [sign in to see picture]

Everything we have paid for we have written positive reveiws. But we have only ever had one tester item, which was faulty, lh exchange it, but the working one still didnt work the way we thought, and was a bit rubbish. So to be honest we had to write a bad reveiw, which didn't go live, we asked why, and was told they thought we reveiwed the faulty item, we replied saying it was the working item and left it at that. But now wonder if been blacklisted for been hard work.....

myghost [sign in to see picture]

The whole thing with testers is you leave an honest review of what you thought of the product no point writing a good review if you thought was a load of garbage it helps both buyers and lovehoney I've had things to test or won on blog prizes that I've had to be negative about because they weren't good for me there's maybe been a pang of guilt but I don't let it eat me up

SubReiSkyeM [sign in to see picture]

My personal opinion is that negative sex toy reviews are more helpful. I want to know what problems I might encounter from items so I know whether I should spend that money.

When something only has positive reviews that often makes me uncomfortable. I worry that people who have had a bad experience don't want to say anything to ruin its record. If someone has never said a single negative thing or written a bad review, I tend to ignore their opinion. It reeks of people-pleasing and lies. Not everything is perfect and that's okay.

protectyournuts [sign in to see picture]

I don't feel bad for bad reviews as long as it's honest. They ask for honest reviews, if they didn't want it on the site they would delete it and not send you more stuff

Lillybeth [sign in to see picture]

Firstly LH need good honest reviews, they wouldn’t send things out if they didn’t.

Secondly, the negative reviews are helpful. If people are reading reviews they’ll read more than one and they can draw their own conclusions. No one wants to stumble into buying a bad product because no one else was honest.

Thread closed

This thread is closed, so no new messages can be posted.